PDA

View Full Version : Mutant: Year Zero - anyone played it?

Black Hammer
January 28th, 2016, 20:51
Been looking at Mutant: Year Zero, and haven't been able to find any good reviews by people who have played extended campaigns of it. Mostly just "haven't played it, but looks cool" or "played a session, wasn't terrible." Also some in German and Swedish, but unfortunately Google Translate is only so much help.

Anybody tried it? And is there any interest in playing it? Seems like the post-apocalyptic thing is pretty popular right now, and as a GM, I like the sound of a game that revolves around building a settlement and exploring a world rather than just another character-centered picaresque.

ImaTarget
February 2nd, 2016, 15:12
I am in the same boat, have not been able to play myself. But read it extensively and heard from people who played it for a while, and the comments are always positive. The system works and has enough depth for long term engagement, especially the Ark building mechanics of course. I would love to play and currently try to figure out how to simulate the rolling/pushing with the custom dice for online play. But no luck yet.

ianmward
February 2nd, 2016, 21:07
I am not too familiar with the system, but it looks interesting.

As far as I know, it's a d6 system where you roll a variable number of dice and try to get 6s as successes and avoid getting 1s, right? That is similar to what I did for Shadowrun and so should be easy to do (for me at least :-).

Can you explain the pushing mechanic for me?

ImaTarget
February 2nd, 2016, 22:14
Hello Ianmward, it is a D6 System yes. Thank you for your interest!

​The player rolls a number of dice for Stat(yellow dice), Skill(green dice), and, if available, Item(black dice).
The dice are D6 but in this case, the values are irrelevant if they are not 6 or 1.
Here is an Image of the Dice: https://dicecollector.com/images/large/e8/115d49822b1dc4824303c404e5b438.jpg

This is due to 6 being a success, more successes equals better results, 1 does not count as a fail or a negative, but it does have special meaning if the character pushes him/her/self.

When pushing one self, the player get`s to re roll all non 1 and 6 results in the hope of getting more 6, but now the 1 have a negative effect. equipment breaks, the body mutates etc. That last part is a bit more involved and best handled "on the fly". However it is important to know the color of the 1s, as each affects something different.

Black Hammer
February 2nd, 2016, 22:29
I'm considering trying to start up a campaign, but have had mixed results scraping up players for anything other than D&D or Pathfinder. I like the idea of starting a game with sessions at different times but a shared Ark, with some of the Assembly phases handled on the forum. People could play in multiple sessions or miss one here or there, and it would fit fine with the game's expeditions and how players are less tied to a specific character than to the well-being of the Ark itself.

ianmward
February 2nd, 2016, 23:40
ok, thanks ImaTarget.

So, at a very minimum it would be necessary to be able to roll 3 colours of variable numbers of d6 and highlight the 1s and 6s of each colour.
The pushing mechanic could be handled manually by simply rolling a new set of dice equal to those that did't come up 1s or 6s.

ImaTarget
February 3rd, 2016, 20:56
Yea, that would be great. An automatic push with a click of a button would be the luxury version of course, but I guess you can keep track of earlier rolls in the chat window to make sure you count right.

ianmward
February 3rd, 2016, 22:01
I'll see what I can do...

ImaTarget
February 4th, 2016, 06:04
Thanks, that is really nice of you.

ianmward
February 8th, 2016, 21:53
I'm just completing an extension to add the custom dice.
You can drag the three different coloured d6 from the d6 custom dice radial menu to a CoreRPG dice field and when you roll them, they are displayed with the correct symbols.
I'll post it later.

Black Hammer
February 9th, 2016, 02:03
I'm just completing an extension to add the custom dice.
You can drag the three different coloured d6 from the d6 custom dice radial menu to a CoreRPG dice field and when you roll them, they are displayed with the correct symbols.
I'll post it later.

Nifty. I'll be sure to check that out if I get around to starting up a Mutant Year Zero game after my convention games are all set.

ianmward
February 10th, 2016, 06:46
I just posted the extension in this thread here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28287-Mutant-Year-Zero-Dice-Mechanic&p=253172#post253172)