PDA

View Full Version : PFS 7-13: Captive in Crystal (Subtier 5-9, NORMAL, 1XP/2PP, Grand Lodge)

HoloGnome
January 28th, 2016, 19:28
Running at least 1 session of Captive in Crystal tomorrow for anyone who wants to come along. :)

See the calendar for scenario/time details (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1817)

Please post or email me your character details, xml, portrait, PFS ID and previous chronicle (if any) in this thread. Thx.

NOTE: This scenario has a sub-theme for Grand Lodge and is also either a good sequel or prequel to PFS 6-07: Valley of Veiled Flame. I have added some names to the calendar for those who played in my FGCON6 run of VoVF in case you're interested, but it will be on a first-come, first-served basis based on who posts in this thread.

cmdisc
January 28th, 2016, 19:35
Very interested, but I have about an hour's worth of errands to be running smack in the middle of this. :(

HoloGnome
January 28th, 2016, 19:37
I can potentially move it forward an hour if you wanted to run them before-hand. Or, you could hire a lackey. :D Or, I could do a break about 2 hrs. in, but isn't that about 9PM your time?

Let me help you: https://www.taskrabbit.com :D

kwarner1986
January 28th, 2016, 19:39
Not all of us can cast "Summon Lackey"

As for me I'm out, because it's in the middle of my work shift and I GM later that night.

xazil
January 28th, 2016, 19:43
I can make it but have a game to run 5 hours after start making it tight.

HoloGnome
January 28th, 2016, 19:45
I can move it back an hour. Maybe that will help cmdisc also, but I'm hoping to run it in 4 hrs. No screwing around! :D

cmdisc
January 28th, 2016, 19:46
Thanks for the offer, but the time is solid. My son has an appointment in the evening that I'll be driving him back from. I expect the round trip to run 40-60 minutes depending on how long I have to wait on that end. If I jumped aboard, my PC would go poof for that time.

I'll just try to catch it the 2nd time around.....along with the other 2 or 3 scenarios I'm lined up with you for 2nd times around. :p

HoloGnome
January 28th, 2016, 19:53
...along with the other 2 or 3 scenarios I'm lined up with you for 2nd times around. :p

OK. No problem. This is a prepped scenario of opportunity for me that I am running this week IRL and a great one to do the ninja sneak for my FG pals. As for other scenarios, they are definitely on the way, but require more planning and prep. Bonekeep is in development and Siege requires pregen development, for example.

I may run a second table later, but it will be after other stuff completes and with a CON thrown in the middle of Feb. Also, maybe you can check with d1wright to see if he wants to join you at some point in the future, since you both played VoVF.

kwarner: OK - no worries - you are delaying! ;)

Malkavian_Andi
January 28th, 2016, 20:31
I am interested in this, too, but no time tomorrow as I have a game at a friend's house.

Lord Kavos
January 28th, 2016, 21:05
I'm in - depending on the tier I have Ulfgar, my drunken barbarian 4 / brawler 2 or Kayliss Darkheart, my dominatrix cleric 7 / bard 1.

Earlier start time suits me too.

And Kayliss has played VoVF btw

HoloGnome
January 28th, 2016, 21:14
Cool - looks like we're legal at the moment and we can go at the earlier time. Happy to run whatever works. Would be nice to pick up at least 1 more to avoid pregen filler.

Lord Kavos
January 28th, 2016, 21:25
I would prefer to play Kayliss if possible - it has been ages since I played her, and I am thinking of retraining her bard level to a sorceror (fey bloodline), so would like to try that out maybe as well...

HoloGnome
January 28th, 2016, 22:35
OK - well if the gang is up for the high sub-tier, it's certainly OK with me.

HoloGnome
January 28th, 2016, 22:36
I have reached out to some others to play, but also, please feel free to do your own recruiting as the opportunity arises.

Lord Kavos
January 28th, 2016, 22:40
either tier is ok - dont want to force people to play up, especially if we are only a 4 man table.

But ok to play Kayliss in the low tier if it doesnt bump the APL also, or Ulfgar if needs be.

xazil
January 28th, 2016, 23:28
High tier I have Janek (controller sorcerer/trap finder) at 8 or Phorynous at 9 (negative channel beatstick). I haven't done the previous scenario at all btw.

HoloGnome
January 28th, 2016, 23:44
I would prefer not to have 8th level characters in a 5th level fight, if there are other options.

Lord Kavos
January 29th, 2016, 01:06
No worries buddy - as I said happy to go with the flow for either tier.

bigboom
January 29th, 2016, 01:52
Unfortunately, I'm already committed to another game tomorrow during the same time slot. But I'm up for a second run, if the timing works out!

JWMK
January 29th, 2016, 01:59
Karsh was slated to play this scenario at my local game day but the spot got rearranged so I am looking forward to this tomorrow. Karsh leveled since we last played and had 1 pregen Level 7 that was applied after that one, and he is on slow. So I will update my XML and send you Karsh 7.1, and that leaves him space for the upcoming Bonekeep Scenarios (if he survives and doesn't get weak knees).

Will try and get some of those magnets for my laptop before we play tomorrow as well (thanks for recommending).

JWMK
January 29th, 2016, 02:03
Additionally, for gold purposes, I would prefer to play the higher tier of course.
If I am out of sub-tier, I always prefer to look up than down... Until I wet my pants of course.

xazil
January 29th, 2016, 02:35
JWMK if you are out of subtier (which 7 is for this one) you get the same gold either playing up or playing down. The difference is the loot available to buy from the chronicle.

I would prefer to play Kregar (at 5.2), but if the others wish higher I could bring my uppers as mentioned.

Lord Kavos
January 29th, 2016, 02:39
Hey jw, I need your PFS id & pc# for Garnett manor too buddy so I can report the game - can u attach your last chronicle to that thread pls & I will get the ghenett chronicle to you...

JWMK
January 29th, 2016, 02:42
Xazil - Oh yeah, I see it is a 5-9 so at 7 I am out of subtier no matter what... If you are happy to play 5.2 and HG is OK with me playing 7.1 I am happy no matter what. I rarely buy anything of the chronicles with Karsh as he just loves his adamantine weapon and armour so much that it consumes him... So he is happy to bash some skulls wherever he is needed. ;)

Lord Kavos
January 29th, 2016, 10:08
Hi buddy,

Looks like its Ulfgar then...here are his files.

xazil
January 29th, 2016, 10:39
Here is both Kregar and Janek so there is some trap skill covered either way.

HoloGnome
January 29th, 2016, 12:06
OK - looks good. I'm still hoping to pick up at least 1 more person. This scenario is really an incredible one as PFS goes for a number of reasons, including a novel chronicle, and the more the merrier.

For comparison, it ran last night in 4 hrs. on the upper sub-tier with the 4-player adjustment and the party had full success (Paladin Archer/8, Paladin Rogue/9, Bard/8, Ranger/7).

JWMK -I received Karsh 7.1.

HoloGnome
January 29th, 2016, 12:55
Looking at sub-tiers (at the moment, barring other changes before game-time):

-> with Ulfgar and Pregen/7 (Kyra likely): 5+6+7+7=25/4=6.25 (lower sub-tier, 4-player adjustment)
-> with Kayliss and Pregen/7 (Kyra likely): 5+7+7+8=27=6.75 (party of 4 must play the lower sub-tier without adjustment)

LK - can you post the Kyra/7 that xazil fixed up the other night for Ghenett Manor Gauntlet?

lachancery
January 29th, 2016, 15:35
Sounds fun, but I'm working. :( Enjoy!

HoloGnome
January 29th, 2016, 15:38
Aerine is joining with either an Alchemist/5 or Cleric/6. Options are:

Bloodrager-Rogue/5 (Kregar)
Fighter/7 (Karsh)
Alchemist/5 (Kaw-Boom)
Cleric 4-Bard 1 (Kayliss, probably OK, since splash level, etc. - basically OOS with a weak bard)
->5, 5, 7, 8=25/4=6.25 (Down, 4-player Adj.)

Fighter/7 (Karsh)
Cleric/6 (Gundred)
Barbarian-Brawler/6 (Ulfgar)
->5, 7, 6, 6=24/4=6 (Down, 4-player Adj.)

Fighter/7 (Karsh)
Cleric/6 (Gundred)
Cleric 7-Bard 1 (Kayliss)
->5, 7, 6, 8=26/4=6.5 (Players can opt to play down, 4-player Adj.)

You guys can decide.

HoloGnome
January 30th, 2016, 01:48
Congrats on the missions success earlier today! Thanks for playing! :)

bigboom
January 30th, 2016, 10:44
HG, are you thinking to get a second run together today? I just noticed the open time slot on the calendar...

HoloGnome
January 30th, 2016, 13:22
Not today, but it's really a great scenario. It will probably take more coordination for those involved, I think. Late next month, maybe. My focus now is on clearing paperwork, moving forward on the campaigns and doing Bonekeep and Serpent's Rise (and also party 2 of Rivalry's End).

HoloGnome
January 30th, 2016, 23:23
Completed reporting and chronicles for the party (LK, xazil, aerine, JWMK). Let me know if you need any changes.

xazil
January 31st, 2016, 02:48
Cheers for the run, was a fun scenario.

HoloGnome
March 6th, 2016, 20:30
I have updated the calendar for this one and it will run sometime soon. Looking for at least 1 more player, maybe 2 if kwarner is not interested.

cmdisc
March 7th, 2016, 06:45
I can be available just about any time, however the weekends may be a bit busy from now until the CON as Blackfoot and I are offering a few CORE scenarios before then and we tend to gravitate to the Fri-Sun timeframe. Also I'm out the 18th and most of the 19th due to family birthday celebrations here. :)

I see that bigboom has put up a 6th level character on the calendar. My preference would be my cleric8 for the 8-9 subtier, but I can understand him not wanting to run a 6th level through that. If he doesn't have (or want to play) anything else, I can look at either digging up a 6th level or using a Pregen.

bigboom
March 7th, 2016, 13:58
My level 6 is the highest level I've got available although he's 1/2 xp away from level 7. I'd say throw up the character you want to play and we'll see how the APL turns out. If we end up high tier and someone else brings a front liner higher level than mine, then my guy being a little squishy, can be a secondary front liner.

HoloGnome
March 7th, 2016, 14:34
Or you can play a pregen/7 and hold the credit.

bigboom
March 7th, 2016, 14:49
Yah true. I can definitely do that as well!

d1wright
March 7th, 2016, 18:34
My highest is also a 7th level but I don't mind playing the upper tier if the APL comes out that way.

Gar Stonebreaker, 7th level Dwarven Fighter.

HoloGnome
March 7th, 2016, 19:05
I added you to Emerald Spire, if you're interested. We're doing a 6-8 and have room on Saturday for you to level (if that's what you want to do).

kwarner1986
March 7th, 2016, 23:01
I can bring my Ice Queen Evelyn to this fight.

HoloGnome
March 8th, 2016, 02:37
OK - snds good.

cmdisc
March 8th, 2016, 06:33
I can bring my Ice Queen Evelyn to this fight.

What level is Evelyn?

d1wright
March 9th, 2016, 03:39
I'm as available as cmdisc except for Sunday mornings EST.

HoloGnome
March 9th, 2016, 10:53
Soooo - it's looking like there isn't going to be anyone in-subtier in either direction, except for cmdisc's 8th level. If everyone's at 7 or 8, we can do a 7-11 instead to bring everyone into the lower sub-tier. Anyone averse to swapping scenarios?

cmdisc
March 9th, 2016, 12:50
bigboom is at 6th last I saw. And I assume based on your response that Evelyn is 7th?

Not sure we want to be putting the 6th and 7th level melee guys on the frontline in a 8-9 subtier. Then again, do we want a bunch of 7th level guys running around in a 5-6?

I'm fine with whatever. I can bring a 6th, Pregen7, or 8th to whatever we end up doing.

HoloGnome
March 9th, 2016, 15:23
bigboom is half a credit from 7th or will play a pregen. So, that should work out - he has some time to get the credit, since it won't be this weekend (bonekeep). It looks like 7-11 to me.

Some suggestions:
3-26: Portal of the Sacred Rune (looks like fun, but Andi may have played it.)
7-04: Ironbound Schism ( Andi has already played that one...however he hasn't chimed in yet. I have this one prepped for 7-8. )
7-11: Ancients' Anguish (hmmm...a 7-11 that is #7-11! I'm willing to do this one, but will have to prep it.)

Malkavian_Andi
March 9th, 2016, 22:38
Of those, I only haven't played Ancient's Anguish. But I do have a 7th level Scarab Sages character I wanted to play that with anyway.

If you all want Portal of the Sacred Rune, I could make up my mind if a star replay would be useful on that one.

d1wright
March 9th, 2016, 23:08
I don't have a preference other than not playing a 5-6. 7-8 of anything sounds good and I haven't played in any of those scenario's listed.

HoloGnome
March 10th, 2016, 01:36
Mnyahhh...so much for the easy re-run of the already-prepped scenario. :p

OK - switching for the win! :D

I have updated the calendar to PFS7-11: Ancients' Anguish. Jeweled Sages, here we come!

cmdisc
March 10th, 2016, 07:15
I hate to bounce you around on this, HG, but I thought bigboom's character was 6th....meaning he can't run in a 7-11. Is he ok using a Pregen?

Honestly, I don't mind running something other than my 8th level. I can pull out my 6th (I have 2) or run a Pregen.

Dave, I know you're concerned that having your 7th along in a 5-6 subtier will risk being a bit overpowered. Do you have anything else? If that's it, then you can always tank and role-play the heck out of it. I can bring my dwarf as well and they can argue over whether his musket is a dwarvenly (manly) weapon or not. Just make sure to be kind to your elders, sonny.

HoloGnome
March 10th, 2016, 11:45
Well...bigboom is .5 credits away and has plenty of time to get in the missing game, I think. So, with that, everyone is exactly where they should be.

cmdisc
March 10th, 2016, 20:36
If bigboom can get to 7th or is fine with a Pregen, I can bring my 8th and we'll have 7x2, 8x1, plus whatever lvl Evelyn and Andi's character are. Would that be good enough for an 8-9? I know it would bring the challenge that Dave likes. :)

HoloGnome
March 10th, 2016, 21:14
I can't recommend playing up in Captive in Crystal. I think it is a recipe for disaster. It's a great scenario, and if the OOS's would like to wait for 8th, that's fine, too - up to you...or a 7-11, as above.

Playing up sometimes seems like a good idea until you end up facing things that you wish you weren't facing at your PC's current level. ;) There's always a chance for success, but, in this case, I refer you to the ending computerized quotation from the movie "War Games."

cmdisc
March 10th, 2016, 21:29
Fair enough. You'd know best from your position.

Malkavian_Andi
March 10th, 2016, 21:58
I agree on the "not playing up" part. I had too many bad experiences with any kind of hard mode.

HoloGnome
March 10th, 2016, 22:48
The other consideration is time. When underpowered characters face upper-level fights, the enemies tend to have the initiative and fights take a long time because the party frequently cannot control the melee or gain the advantage. So, 4-hr. scenarios quickly become 6-7 hrs. and are more stressful than necessary for all concerned...or result in retreat, where you then lose out on playing through to the end and that's your 1-time play for that scenario/mode.

Like I said - it's a great scenario - I really like it...and happy to run it when possible and, in the meantime, help the 7's get over the hump.

kwarner1986
March 11th, 2016, 22:38
I have a Rogue 8, I will have to dust her off and bring her back the disarray of computer disaster, so it's not like I don't have an 8th to play. I would prefer to play Evelyn, but she's at 6th, and she just hit 6th level. Plus I don't want to rush Evelyn, she's a fun character to play, now that I've hit the level where my spell will start to hurt. ICEBALL!

bigboom
March 13th, 2016, 14:33
If bigboom can get to 7th or is fine with a Pregen, I can bring my 8th and we'll have 7x2, 8x1, plus whatever lvl Evelyn and Andi's character are. Would that be good enough for an 8-9? I know it would bring the challenge that Dave likes. :)

I'm currently signed up for a game in a couple days that should get my character up to 7. But if that falls through for some reason, I can always roll with a pregen. Thanks guys!

HoloGnome
March 13th, 2016, 17:13
OK - so let's figure out a time for Ancient's Anguish. Let me know when you hit 7th and I'll put up some times.

bigboom
March 14th, 2016, 22:07
Hopefully by this time tomorrow, my swashbuckler will be at level 7.

However, as with my message in the Bonekeep thread, my schedule doesn't open up again until next week:

Mar 21 - 24: I can start at 9AM EST, give or take an hour. This probably won't work with most people though.
Mar 25: I can start at 9AM EST and am free the entire day/evening after that.
Mar 26: I'm free all day/evening
Mar 27: I can start at 2AM or 3AM EST but can't commit to a start time after that

bigboom
March 15th, 2016, 22:31
Heya HG, my swashbuckler is now level 7 and is ready to go when we are able to get everyone together.

HoloGnome
March 15th, 2016, 23:59
OK - cool. I will start prepping the 7-11.

Lord Kavos
March 17th, 2016, 06:43
is there going to be any spots available for Ancient's Anguish HG?

EDIT: found it on the calendar - so have signed up just in case I can play :-)

HoloGnome
March 17th, 2016, 15:46
There was 1 - I saw that you signed up with Kayliss.

Lord Kavos
March 17th, 2016, 22:20
Kayliss just leveled to 9 - I thought the party looked like it needed a healer and a leader...

HoloGnome
March 18th, 2016, 23:09
I put a time on the calendar for tomorrow at noon pacific. Please vote - thx!

Malkavian_Andi
March 18th, 2016, 23:44
I'll be at a con tomorrow, so I won't be able to make that time. Sunday could work for me.