PDA

View Full Version : School of Hard knocks add on?

Ernoldo
January 28th, 2016, 11:45
Hello everyone!

I have been an active user of FG for my Middle-Earth campaign and found a lot of the stuff on forums very helpful thanks to you guys! However im really puzzled because I didnt find anything about static maneuver tables from the book "school of hard knocks". In my opinion they add a lot of flavour to the gameplay when all skills are not checked from the same generic static maneuver table. Is this because of some copyright issues or am I the only one who would find them an awesome add on to all ready great RMC system.

Thanks in advance for the replies...

damned
January 28th, 2016, 13:01
Heya Ernoldo! Where have you been lurking these last 2 years? :)

Ernoldo
January 28th, 2016, 13:25
Gathering courage to speak out loud :D

Dakadin
January 28th, 2016, 19:12
Adding the tables should be possible. They just won't automatically roll unless an extension is created.

I will see if I can find time tonight to put together some instructions on how to create the library module for the tables.

Also don't hesitate to speak out loud.;)-

Dakadin
January 29th, 2016, 06:59
Hi Ernoldo,

It looks like Ardem already has a couple static maneuver tables in his RMFRP module. You can find the extension and module here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?15963-FRP-Extension. One thing that I noticed is you will need to open the RMC Character Law to get the tables to show up in the Tables list. Those two tables should give some good examples of how to layout the tables. The tables are in the db.xml file within the module. The table IDs are SCM-01 and SM-01.

To create your own versions, copy the SM-01 table and change the <SM-01> and </SM-01> to another identifier name like SM-02. Change the <Id> tag to match the identifier. Then change the <Name> tag to the descriptive name of the table. After that you would just need to adjust the <Text> tags for each roll range in the table to match the table you are creating.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Propagandalf
January 29th, 2016, 11:11
To my understanding editing db.xml won't be enough to make the rolls open up in the table resolver.
The tables need to be added to at least "rules_constants.lua"(to define the table), rules_skills.lua(to make the new types roll-able) and to common.xml (if one wants to re-define the skill tables, which now only use only the generic static maneuver table). I haven't found yet where the "Maneuver, Spell" is written to be seen in the skill's type.

What other scripts need to be modified to make a new functioning table.

P.S. I'm in the same group as as Ernoldo

Propagandalf
January 29th, 2016, 11:18
To clarify,

We need to be able to create 27 new tables from School of Hard Knocks, so that when a player throws for example "Observation", the table resolver would show "Awareness - Searching" static maneuver table to the GM.
FRP extension has all the ingredients ready, we just need to figure out all the relevant scripts related to this.

Dakadin
January 29th, 2016, 15:11
Agreed. I didn't want to potentially overwhelm someone with pointing out the changes needed for an extension. That's why I mentioned that they wouldn't automatically roll. It sounds like you are on the right track from what I remember off the top of my head. I am definitely willing to answer questions if you need help with an extension. I can double check it tonight after I get off work if you still need help tracking it down. Just let me know. :)

Propagandalf
January 29th, 2016, 19:22
I think I can do the coding part easily, I just need to know the relevant lua scripts. It should be a straightforward copy/paste job, and the tedious work of making the tables to xml.
The logic of rolling the dice should be just adding more numbers to the IF-clause in rules_skills.lu (currently 1,2 & 5 i.e. MM - maneuver, static - maneuver,spell). rules_constants.lua links the numbers to the tables in db.xml. The only thing I can't find is where to name the type for the skill (as in Maneuver, spell).

If there's anything else that I've missed, please do tell.

I'm not in a hurry. I'm spending this weekend making games at Global Game Jam.

Dakadin
January 30th, 2016, 03:19
Hi Propagandalf,

You should find what you need in the rules_customdata.lua Skill function. Lines 127-135 set the Table ID based on the skill type that you see in the rules_constants.lua. If you add the checks for the additional skill types you add, it should attach the table automatically to your skill rolls.

Dakadin

Ernoldo
January 31st, 2016, 08:25
Our groups own computer wiz propagandalf is alot better to cope with this than I am :) thanks alot guys for the help... I would have been overwhelmed :D

Dakadin
January 31st, 2016, 08:27
Your welcome. Don't be afraid to ask questions or make suggestions for how you would like to see things done differently. :)

Ardem
January 31st, 2016, 10:06
I just did two table to refamiliarize myself, the changes need to be made in the following area.
Rules_constant, rules_customedat, manager_table, charsheet listclasses, campaign_skills and rule skills. Sorry not as quick an easy some this stuff is just code to add more numbers and checks, now that i have done two I only have 25 more to go, so I guess I will finish it for the new version of FRP for the new rmc.

Propagandalf
January 31st, 2016, 17:35
Thank you for your answers.
I'll start making the tables then, rather than wait for the new version.
This feature addition will be welcomed by many, I believe.

Ardem
February 7th, 2016, 14:37
good news done all the tables, this will be added in the next release, when 7.1.2 is out. Also the drag and drop of the skill will add in the correct table, so you may need to recreate characters but that should not be too hard. Also added Power manipulation and Special attack/defences to the category fields

Ardem
February 14th, 2016, 00:30
1.7.2 is out and FRP 0.6 is out and adds those tables you were after.

Ernoldo
August 11th, 2016, 09:17
Awesome Ardem! This really made my day. Just a little bit of work for the players but the tables do give alot more depth in the different skills, Thanks alot!

Ardem
August 12th, 2016, 01:55
Your welcome.