PDA

View Full Version : Can I translate things ?

VampyreBe
January 27th, 2016, 19:58
Hello all !

So I'm a very new buyer of Fantasy Grounds, and am very happy with it so far ! It's an awesome program, and it solves all my problems of finding the right program. Now I can finally focus on the story I want to tell, rather than on the technicalities of a program.

So, for my first try today, I tried bringing a few characters for my next campaign. Since I want them to be re-usable, I created them outside of a campaign. Those are the pre made characters from the Deadlands Reloaded book, just to see how it was to create the same characters as in the book. I was quickly to find out that I could link items from the manual, directly inside the character sheet, avoiding me all the pain to type. But my problem is on the translation. I'm not using the english version of the game. Therefore, it takes me ages to search for an edge, or a hindrance, or something like that.

On the skills as well, I'm losing a lot by just typing inside the character sheet (I lose the quick link to the manual page for said item).

I've noticed though that I can edit some pages from the manual (I tried editing the Boating skill, and translated its title into its name in my language, and added a few lines of text so not to lose my text). I closed the manual page, and linked it to the character sheet. The title was now translated into my language, with all the information in the quick link.

But I have no idea if I am allowed to do so (I don't fear about the copyright, I fear on breaking the link and not being able anymore to call that skill, and don't want to break the reference pages). So I reverted back and wanted to ask first on the forum.

Can I freely go and translate the reference sheets, with the descriptions for the skills, hindrances, edges and such, without problem of breaking the said manual ? Like this, I could make the work once, and have still the quick references for when I play ?

Or is it better not to do so (risk of losing my editing on any update of the package ?), link first, and then translate on every sheet of every character (which is tedious !)

Thanks for your enlightenment !

Trenloe
January 27th, 2016, 20:26
You might want to check out the translation project headed up by dulux_oz. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27202-LanguagePak-(LPak)-Community-Project-Program&highlight=language

VampyreBe
January 27th, 2016, 20:35
Thank you for your answer.

I was knowledgeable about this, and even though if I have the will to help with this, it is very far still from being completed. Furthermore, I don't have all the tools available to me since I'm using a Linux machine and a mac machine. I don't have Windows (and don't plan on installing it).

It's not that I'm impatient, but it's so long that I've started searching for the ultimate solution to help me in being organized, and not having 200 folders everywhere, with a program that could be run from Linux and Mac, that now that I've found it, I'm willing to advance into the content, so I could be started with a first session not to long in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to share all the translation effort I could do, but on the other side, I don't want to wait for to long. But thanks for pointing it to me !

Valarian
January 27th, 2016, 20:46
You can edit the entries, but these will only be available for your current campaign. If you start another campaign and open up the module, the entries will be back to the non-translated state.

In order to make a permanent change, you'd have to copy the .mod file for Deadlands Reloaded and modify the text in the definition.xml file. You can do that by changing the .mod extension to .zip and extracting the files. When you re-zip, do it from within the folder created by the zip extract. The extension.xml file needs to be in the base folder of the zip file. You'd also need to change the name of the module, which has to match in both the definition.xml and the extension.xml files.

Once you're done with the translation, you could offer it up to Smiteworks as part of the translation project mentioned by Trenloe above. That's more of a community project to translate on-screen items. This'd have to become a store item as it's copyrighted material.

VampyreBe
January 27th, 2016, 20:54
Thank you very much for your answer.

I'll have a look at the files and see what I can do. Many thanks for your help and the detailed answer. Now, I know I shouldn't try what I wanted to do, it will avoid me a lot of frustration :)

Thanks for that !

damned
January 27th, 2016, 22:27
Please make sure you regularly back up your changed campaign mod. If fixes/updates are pushed out to that mod in the future it will get overwritten by the new mod. That would be painful if you had invested a lot of time in it.

dulux-oz
January 28th, 2016, 00:30
Thank you for your answer.

I was knowledgeable about this, and even though if I have the will to help with this, it is very far still from being completed. Furthermore, I don't have all the tools available to me since I'm using a Linux machine and a mac machine. I don't have Windows (and don't plan on installing it).

Just my $0.02 on the above: it doesn't matter if you're on a Mac or Linux or Windows - people can still contribute to the LPak Project, they just need to use the "OS-appropriate" tools (as explained in the LPak Framework Documentation) - that's the way it was designed.

So don't let not running on a Windows machine stop you if you'd like to contribute, and good luck with your game(s) :)

VampyreBe
January 28th, 2016, 04:14
That's very good to know !

I'll have a check at the doc ! Thanks for pointing it out ! I thought the tools were limited to the windows version. Definitely will look into it !

Valarian
January 28th, 2016, 07:05
Please make sure you regularly back up your changed campaign mod. If fixes/updates are pushed out to that mod in the future it will get overwritten by the new mod. That would be painful if you had invested a lot of time in it.
This is why I suggested to make a copy and rename the module, not amend the original. The original also needs to remain to pick up changes, which can be incorporated in the translated version.