PDA

View Full Version : Question about Spell Casting

Baron28
January 27th, 2016, 16:52
I'm a Druid and the party is instructed to roll initiative. In round 1, I cast moonbeam and concentrate on it for 10 rounds. In round 2, I use my action to move the moonbeam. Can I use my bonus action to cast healing word? OR Am I not allowed to since I'm already concentrating on the moonbeam.

Thanks

Zacchaeus
January 27th, 2016, 17:54
You can carry out any normal actions whilst concentrating and this would include bonus actions. You can cast another spell as long as the spell you are casting doesn't also require concentration.

Ergo - you can cast healing word following the scenario you speak of.

Griogre
January 30th, 2016, 19:21
One other gotcha with concentration spells is you can't ready a spell while concentrating on another spell because that also requires concentration.

kylania
January 30th, 2016, 21:41
Also remember you can't cast another spell, other than a cantrip, if you're casting a Bonus Action spell.

Page 202 under Casting a Spell - Casting Time

BONUS ACTION
A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn. You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

Personally I'd allow the 'Move the Moonbeam and cast Healing Word' and 'Cast the Moonbeam and cast Healing Word', because using up a spell slot is enough of a penalty for a hit's worth of healing usually, but the RAW disagree. :)

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2016, 22:16
Also remember you can't cast another spell, other than a cantrip, if you're casting a Bonus Action spell.

Page 202 under Casting a Spell - Casting Time

Personally I'd allow the 'Move the Moonbeam and cast Healing Word' and 'Cast the Moonbeam and cast Healing Word', because using up a spell slot is enough of a penalty for a hit's worth of healing usually, but the RAW disagree. :)

But the part you quoted doesn't prevent the casting of a Bonus Action Spell in this case since moving the Moonbeam isn't a cast; It was cast the previous round. All we are doing here is moving it. Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

kylania
January 31st, 2016, 05:28
No, you're correct. I was just posting a slightly related obscure rule no one ever remembers. :)

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2016, 09:02
No, you're correct. I was just posting a slightly related obscure rule no one ever remembers. :)

Jolly good. Yes, this is one of those rules I tend to ignore too. Mainly becasue until you posted this and until I read it more carefully I didn't know it existed :)

Griogre
January 31st, 2016, 20:31
I remember it.... :( ;)