PDA

View Full Version : Installation Error - DM.mod

Kovar
January 27th, 2016, 14:15
Hello all - new adventurer here - back from a long long rest - last time I played D&D was Second Edition. :D Anyway I'm having an installation issue. Or maybe no issue at all? I'm hoping you can help!

I downloaded the free version to demo the software and decided to buy a full license through steam.

I went to uninstall the free version and it said (unable to get list of files - do you want to uninstall anyway?). I said sure and all it seemed to do was remove the icon from my desktop.

So then I manually removed the Fantasy Grounds folders - both app and data. After that I ran the installer for Fantasy Grounds in Steam.

It started just fine and gave me a key and directed me to the updater. I put the key in - left my install directories to same - put in my username and password and it started patching. About half way through it gave an error -

unable to install DM.mod and then the updater stopped. I hit the install button again and it seemed to continue.

My question - what is DM.mod and is there a way I can check to see if my install went ok? I was able to fire up the demo campain and connect with another free license so everything appears to be ok just don't want to have problems later on.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Zacchaeus
January 27th, 2016, 15:59
Hi, Kovar and welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the community.

Can you say whether you are using a PC or a mac (I'm assuming the former) and what version of windows you are using?

The most common installation problems stem from an incorrect license key or the key being placed in the wrong box. Make sure that your key is in the correct box in the settings dialog.

To check that you have everything that you should have start up a 5e campaign and open up your library, now click on the modules button and make sure you see the DD Basic Rules - DM and DD Basic Rules - player mods. If you can't see those then you haven't downloaded properly. Check your key as above and then click on update. And then let us know what happens.

Finally, Someone else will be along shortly with further advice because I'm not the best at diagnosing these things :)

Moon Wizard
January 27th, 2016, 21:55
If you are using the demo version, the your license key field and user name should be blank.

The 5E data is only available with a paid license, though the 5E ruleset framework is available with the demo as well.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
January 27th, 2016, 22:14
If you are using the demo version, the your license key field and user name should be blank.

The 5E data is only available with a paid license, though the 5E ruleset framework is available with the demo as well.

Regards,
JPG

I think he is talking about a full license that he had bought after using the demo to test out what FG could do.

Kovar
January 28th, 2016, 11:39
Correct I have the paid license. I have a PC Windows 10 64 bit. Here is the exact error I am getting.

Unable to save file(modules/DD Basic Rules - DM.mod) to content vault.

This happens while trying to update and afterwards if I check my modules after loading a demo campain I don't see DD Basic Rules - DM and DD Basic Rules - player mods in the list as Zac suggests.

If this is a license issue where does the license key go?

License Key box or Lite to full Key box. For what its worth I've tried both.

Guess I'm gonna need some more help on this one!

damned
January 28th, 2016, 12:59
Kovar very likely your license key is in the wrong field. Please recheck.
If you want some additional help please PM me - it is getting quite late here so I wont be online too much longer but can do tomorrow etc also.

Zacchaeus
January 28th, 2016, 16:33
And check that the license key is correct - not just the right box but that all the digits and letters are correct.

Trenloe
January 28th, 2016, 18:13
And check that the license key is correct - not just the right box but that all the digits and letters are correct.
And check for leading/trailing spaces.

If you're 100% sure the licence key is correct and in the "License Key" field (the top one) and the "Lite to Full Key" is completely empty, then try this:

Run FG as Administrator. Right-click on the Fantasy Grounds icon and select "Run as Administrator" (this may be under a "More" menu).
On the first screen, click the folder icon in the top right. This will launch Windows file explorer at the FG data app directory. Don't close FG.
In the launched Windows file explorer window, delete content.dat and content.dat.tmp (if they exist).
Go back to FG (still running, launched as admin in step #1) and try running the update again.

Moon Wizard
January 28th, 2016, 19:47
It's best to copy and paste directly from email or Steam to avoid text entry errors. Also, make sure Lite to Full key field is blank.

If it's still not working, please send a screenshot of Settings window to [email protected]
(Alt+PrntScrn key while Settings open, and paste in email)

Regards,
JPG

Kovar
February 13th, 2016, 03:45
Deleting the content.dat file worked. I had also purchased the Hotdq dlc and it would not download that either. I seemed that even though I had a good license and it was in the correct place, it still thought I was using the free version. Once I deleted the content.dat file it solved all my issues. Thanks so much!