PDA

View Full Version : Cast Spells at Higher Level

DrakosDJ
January 26th, 2016, 04:47
My group just started using FG II for our gaming session this last weekend. One of the players asked about casting spells using higher level slots for better effect.

Is this supported within the ruleset, or do we need to make a spell entry on the Actions tab for each level the spell can be cast at?

spite
January 26th, 2016, 05:03
So when you see your spell in the action tab, you'll see usually a dice button for ATK or SAV, which casts the spell against your target, and then you'll see a blood icon representative of the damage roll for that spell at its base level. What you can do is right click next to those buttons, and select "add action" and then select "add damage" and then edit that new action to be the damage roll for using it as at a higher level. Then you'll have something like you see in the picture I linked, where you have the different buttons for casting it at different levels. When you then collapse the spell back down it's nice and tidy and easy to use in game.

Picture of multiple spell levels
https://puu.sh/mJYAH/0f26b03d74.jpg
Picture of collapsed spell page
https://puu.sh/mJYBG/ec263f40e0.jpg

Eru the One
January 26th, 2016, 06:35
For my characters, I've just created an effect that I drop on my character several times depending on what slot I've used.

So for Cure spells:
HEAL: 1d8; [ROLL]; [SELF]

or for Damage spells:
DMG: 1d8 thunder; [ROLL]; [SELF].

Zacchaeus
January 26th, 2016, 10:50
My group just started using FG II for our gaming session this last weekend. One of the players asked about casting spells using higher level slots for better effect.

Is this supported within the ruleset, or do we need to make a spell entry on the Actions tab for each level the spell can be cast at?

For damage spells which add additional damage die if used in a higher spell slot you can click on the damage line of the spell entry and hold the left mouse button; then right click to add additional damage dice before dropping onto the target. That obviates the need for multiple entries.

If it's a cantrip just adjust the damage in the spell entry on the character sheet when the character reaches a level that allows for more dice.

The progression of spell damage is not directly supported by FG in that it doesn't automate the damage dice based on the level of the character or spell when the spell is drag/dropped into the character sheet. However it is supported in the manner described in this post and those above.

DrakosDJ
January 27th, 2016, 04:51
So when you see your spell in the action tab, you'll see usually a dice button for ATK or SAV, which casts the spell against your target, and then you'll see a blood icon representative of the damage roll for that spell at its base level. What you can do is right click next to those buttons, and select "add action" and then select "add damage" and then edit that new action to be the damage roll for using it as at a higher level. Then you'll have something like you see in the picture I linked, where you have the different buttons for casting it at different levels. When you then collapse the spell back down it's nice and tidy and easy to use in game.

Picture of multiple spell levels
https://puu.sh/mJYAH/0f26b03d74.jpg
Picture of collapsed spell page
https://puu.sh/mJYBG/ec263f40e0.jpg

For damage spells which add additional damage die if used in a higher spell slot you can click on the damage line of the spell entry and hold the left mouse button; then right click to add additional damage dice before dropping onto the target. That obviates the need for multiple entries.

If it's a cantrip just adjust the damage in the spell entry on the character sheet when the character reaches a level that allows for more dice.

The progression of spell damage is not directly supported by FG in that it doesn't automate the damage dice based on the level of the character or spell when the spell is drag/dropped into the character sheet. However it is supported in the manner described in this post and those above.

Ok, thanks, both of these will work for the damage increase, but does it then know to expend the higher spell level as well, or is that manual )uncheck the base level, check the higher level slot)?

Moon Wizard
January 27th, 2016, 05:18
The slots are not automatically checked off for this very reason. When a slot is used up, just mark off the correct one on the PC Actions tab.

Regards,
JPG