PDA

View Full Version : FG freezing / ctd

kane280484
January 25th, 2016, 23:23
Hi!

Circumstances: Running latest version through Steam. PFRPG. Four Players connected. Ten entries on CT. Windows 10, 8 GB RAM.

Problem: Fantasy Grounds running slow and freezing when opening data (NPC, item). Freezes are frequent, last 5-20 seconds and do not cause ctd to me, but to my players - occasionally, yes.

Probable cause: I'm playing Sins of the Saviours with a lot of maps, npcs, tokens, yet the module is not so heavy (.mod file is ~30 MB). I remember that fighting against dozens of ogres was smooth and didn't cause problems, so maybe now larger amount of Effects on CT due to higher character levels and enemy CRs (more complex enemies) are causing trouble? Dunno, trying to guess.

What can I do to improve FG experience and avoid slowing / freezes / ctds?

Moon Wizard
January 26th, 2016, 02:06
The slow performance on the GM side can cause disconnects, since the application is single threaded.

I'm not sure what is causing the delays, but running Fantasy Grounds near the memory limit on your computer can cause issues like this. One thing to note is that every token and also every module you have open will be loaded into memory before you ever start playing.

* What does your Task Manager report for memory usage when running that campaign with normal screens open? (If it's greater than 1.6G (for 32-bit systems), you'll need to shed some assets.)
* How many files do you have in your tokens folder? How much collective memory do they take?
* How many modules do you have open?
* Which extensions are you running?

The usual culprits are too many tokens, or too many modules open. Also, if your images are very high-res (tokens and maps), they can eat up memory quickly.

There's a thread on the forums about loading tokens into their own module, so that they are not always loaded but available to load on demand. Also, you can drop images/tokens into the FG data folder during gameplay as needed.

Regards,
JPG

kane280484
January 26th, 2016, 15:49
* Task Manager says FantasyGrounds.exe uses 870 MB of memory
* Tokens folder contains 36 files, weighing 3,45 MB
* Ten modules are open, adventure + books
* Module Plus Extension, Optional Conditions, Remove Effect, AutoXP Calculator, Mood Lightning and Moon Tracker

Tokens are in the adventure module, connected to NPC entries. You suggest trying something else?

I will try closing modules that are not needed at the moment, maybe this is the main cause.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Moon Wizard
January 26th, 2016, 23:24
If there is a particular set of steps or encounter that seems to recreate the issue, you might try disabling some of the extensions as well to see if that makes a difference.

The memory usage and tokens seem fine for now, but you might check during gameplay if you see the issue again.

Regards,
JPG