PDA

View Full Version : Question about 5e DMG module

malaga82287
January 24th, 2016, 21:38
Want to run a homebrew campaign on FG in the near future. Having the PHB and MM modules seem pretty essential in a FG campaign, but how essential is having the DMG module? What does the DMG implement in FG that is worth the $50?

kylania
January 24th, 2016, 21:52
Usable Magic Items and the Forge. Clickable Treasure Tables. I'd say it's worth it just for those personally. Depending on how home brew your campaign is, those might even be more useful than the MM if you change a lot of your monster stats.

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2016, 21:56
Hi malaga82287 welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the community.

If you are familiar with the paper version of the DMG then you'll know what it contains; if you aren't then it is the Dungeon Master's 'bible' telling you how to run the game, provides some optional alternative rules, shows you how to create NPCs, places for your players to adventure in, how to create alternative races, backgrounds and classes and of course contains all of the treasures and magic items that your players might find during the course of your campaign.

The Fantasy Grounds DMG is the same book as the paper version so as far as that goes it doesn't add anything. It doesn't implement anything in particular but it does allow you to roll up treasures more easily and in the very next update you'll be able to make a roll on a treasure table and all of the treasure will be parcelled up for you. You can also to some extend roll up random dungeons and it contains many tables which, when you roll on them outputs the result to chat. It contains all of the magic items and for weapons it allows for drag and drop into a character sheet and have the correct attack and damage actions automatically sorted for you in the actions tab.

However it's really a personal choice as to whether you want it or not. It isn't needed but it's certainly a very nice addition to have and I, for one, wouldn't be without it.

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2016, 21:57
Usable Magic Items and the Forge. Clickable Treasure Tables. I'd say it's worth it just for those personally. Depending on how home brew your campaign is, those might even be more useful than the MM if you change a lot of your monster stats.

Note, the Forge is available without the DMG but having the DMG makes using the Forge very much easier.

kylania
January 24th, 2016, 22:04
Ahh, I bought it within minutes of it being available, so never knew FG without it. :)

malaga82287
January 24th, 2016, 23:03
Hi malaga82287 welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the community.

If you are familiar with the paper version of the DMG then you'll know what it contains; if you aren't then it is the Dungeon Master's 'bible' telling you how to run the game, provides some optional alternative rules, shows you how to create NPCs, places for your players to adventure in, how to create alternative races, backgrounds and classes and of course contains all of the treasures and magic items that your players might find during the course of your campaign.

The Fantasy Grounds DMG is the same book as the paper version so as far as that goes it doesn't add anything. It doesn't implement anything in particular but it does allow you to roll up treasures more easily and in the very next update you'll be able to make a roll on a treasure table and all of the treasure will be parcelled up for you. You can also to some extend roll up random dungeons and it contains many tables which, when you roll on them outputs the result to chat. It contains all of the magic items and for weapons it allows for drag and drop into a character sheet and have the correct attack and damage actions automatically sorted for you in the actions tab.

However it's really a personal choice as to whether you want it or not. It isn't needed but it's certainly a very nice addition to have and I, for one, wouldn't be without it.

I have the physical copy of all the books as I run an "in-person" campaign as well. Just didn't know if buying the DMG module here was worth the ease of what it implements if I could just write it in FG myself with little time, but it seems like it would take a bit of time. Also the other features you mentioned sound intriguing as well! Thanks everyone for all the handy info!