PDA

View Full Version : Voice chat for games

Resnig
January 24th, 2016, 02:06
Apologies if this has been answered before, I did a search but didn't find anything which especially answered it (actually breaking my silence and is my first post).

Which is the better software to use for voice chat in your experience? I'm fairly new to fantasy grounds, have been playing D&D (IRL) with a couple of groups for the last year or so and bought fantasy grounds in order to DM some D&D 5e games (this will be my first time as a DM, hence questions now). I've bought my own license, plus several modules and will be getting the ultimate license to run my own groups in the next week or two.

The question I have is around voice chat software (or video if this works better). In my own experience of D&D, frequently we need to run side groups for discussions (especially in the larger games) when characters are doing their own investigations or are separated from the main group. Which voice or video chat software would support this? I know skype doesn't allow you, or others in the group to either mute certain people or run a temporary sub group. I also have seen there is a FG teamspeak 3 server. Does TS3 allow you to do this?
Which software do you all use and specifically WHY? ("such and such software is the best!" without any reasons isn't especially helpful - sorry (not being rude), unfortunately I have asked elsewhere in the past and i have had that response, which was really unhelpful).

I've been genuinely impressed on what I've seen with FG so far, but to run an online game, I know we'll need to do it primarily with voice chat (i know half or more of my group wouldn't bother if they had to type everything in text chat unfortunately. (i grew up with IRC and don't mind, they didn't unfortunately)) :(

Your help would be very much appreciated. I'm planning on running all the official campaigns in order from LMoP through to OotA with my group inbetween our IRL games. Once I'm more used to FG, I wouldn't mind doing another night a week and opening up another group if anyone would be interested in this?

Trenloe
January 24th, 2016, 02:13
I use the free community provided (thanks damned) TeamSpeak 3 server: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server

This allows you to create sub-channels within your game channel to allow private discussions away from the main group.

I also use another instance of the TeamSpeak client to stream background music/sound effects during the game.

Trenloe
January 24th, 2016, 02:14
Some discussion going on here too: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27991-Audio-comms-preference-question

damned
January 24th, 2016, 03:13
Teamspeak is nice and easy to use for all these things and the server is available for all your FG games - use it :)

PopinFRESH
January 27th, 2016, 22:05
Hello Resnig,

I will agree with Trenloe & damned. I use TS3 for most of my PC gaming voice chat needs including Fantasy Grounds. I have my own TS3 server so I have free reign on it, however, I'm fairly sure damned has the community server setup so that when you create a channel you are granted channel commander for it and it's sub-channels you create. This should allow you to drag and drop people from the main channel into any sub-channel. So if you need to privately chat with a player, or if a couple of players need to sidebar you can drop them into a sub-channel and continue on. damned will need to correct me on this if I'm wrong about how it's configured (I typically don't use the community server since I have my own). Regardless, I know you can create sub-channels and the players can then drop in and out of them as needed even if you can't move them yourself.

I also do what Trenloe mentioned with running a second TS3 client instance to pipe the output of Syrinscape (https://syrinscape.com) into the main channel. With my setup, this also has the side advantage that I am always hearing what is going on in the main channel, even when I'm in a sub channel talking to someone individually. If I need to focus on the side conversation I simply mute the speaker output for the "Syrinscape" instance so I only hear the channel I'm actually in.

I'm also currently in the process of working on setting up a "multi-season" epic through all of the Official 5E content while adding in some of my own story content tying together the seasons.

Good luck and have fun with your campaign,
-PopinFRESH