PDA

View Full Version : Because Size Matters

Nickademus
January 22nd, 2016, 22:33
Purely out of curiosity, what is the widest thing in FG? I'm referring to a single window or such that is in its smallest possible size. I'm thinking the Party Sheet in the 3.5e/PF ruleset has a good shot at one of the top 5 if not the widest.

I've recently been curious about FG and various monitor sizes and I think since FG doesn't have horizontal scroll bars that asset width largely reflects what SW views as the smallest monitor size that FG 'supports'. I have a widescreen, so I feel vastly out of the loop on such things.

Zacchaeus
January 22nd, 2016, 22:49
I think you are probably right; the widest window by default size would be the party screen. I have no idea whether that particular design size is driven by monitor size or whether there is some kind of dynamic thing which makes it the same size area wise depending on what your monitor size is.

Moon Wizard
January 22nd, 2016, 23:50
It's more driven by the actual space needed to display all the information. The party sheet is the widest sheet, because of the sheer volume of information that is crammed into that sheet (i.e. GM's dashboard for the PCs).

Consequently, it does have an impact on the smallest monitor size, though this will shortly become more complex once we start looking at high-res screens and readability of fonts. Then, it's more a fine-tuning between logical ruleset units vs. font sizes vs. screen resolution. All things we are looking at for next major release.

In general, I feel that the desktop style interface of FG only works well using 13-inch screens or larger. When I am running on my laptop (13-inch), I rarely have more than 3-4 windows open for the reason that the screen space is limited vs. the zoom I need to be able to read the fonts well. When we talk about looking at smaller screen devices, we start talking about standardizing the interface to maximize utilitization of screen real estate.

Cheers,
JPG

damned
January 22nd, 2016, 23:57
Super High Res screens without large physical screens to accompany them just dont make sense on a computer IMO. most applications will not scale for these and will illegible. Things like 3000px on a 13in laptop are just crazy for most users.

Nickademus
January 23rd, 2016, 04:22
Thanks Moon.
Someone +1 him for me.

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2016, 09:21
Thanks Moon.
Someone +1 him for me.

Click on the little star at the bottom left of his post will do that.

Nickademus
January 23rd, 2016, 09:51
Not for me. ('must spread some around...')