PDA

View Full Version : 5e Modules?

SilverBulletKY
January 22nd, 2016, 21:31
If I buy Fantasy Grounds to play 5e, do I also need to purchase the rules, DM guide, etc etc? These seem really expensive compared to their physical format. What do people usually do for 5e?

Zacchaeus
January 22nd, 2016, 21:43
Hello SilverBulletKY, welcome to Fantasy Grounds and the community.

The answer depends on what you want to do. If you are going to be a player then all you need is the demo version of FG if the DM has an ultimate license or a full license if the DM only has the full license.

If you want to run games then you need either an ultimate license or a full license depending on what your players have. As a DM you may well want to purchase the PHB, DMG and the MM. However before you take the plunge FG now comes with a basic version of the rules and you can run games with those (albeit with some limitations). You can get a subscription version of the ultimate license so you'd only be out a few (insert whatever your currency is here).

Trenloe
January 22nd, 2016, 21:49
As Zacchaeus says, Fantasy Grounds comes with the 5E framework to play (character sheet, NPC sheet, combat/init tracker, item sheet, spell/power sheet, etc.). You can fill all of the information in manually - but this can take a lot of time.

FG also comes with the D&D basic rules as library modules that let you get started. Basic rules PDFs available here: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules?x=dnd/basicrules

It also includes the recently released OGL/SRND.

So, you can completely play with the FG licence and not purchase any additional 5E material.

However, if you want to have access to full player races/classes/spells you'll probably want to get the PHB (Core Class module), if you want all of the creatures from the Monster Manual then you'll probably want to get the MM module, etc..

If you're running a campaign, the FG scenario modules contain the GM info needed (NPC/Monster records, items, maps, etc.), all you'll really need is the "stuff" for the player characters - either manually create the PCs directly in FG or get the PHB library module to aid in the player character generation process. But be aware - FG is not a full blown character generation application, the PHB module helps with drag/drop for most operations, but you still need to follow the generation process and manually enter some data.

SilverBulletKY
January 22nd, 2016, 21:57
Hello SilverBulletKY, welcome to Fantasy Grounds and the community.

The answer depends on what you want to do. If you are going to be a player then all you need is the demo version of FG if the DM has an ultimate license or a full license if the DM only has the full license.

If you want to run games then you need either an ultimate license or a full license depending on what your players have. As a DM you may well want to purchase the PHB, DMG and the MM. However before you take the plunge FG now comes with a basic version of the rules and you can run games with those (albeit with some limitations). You can get a subscription version of the ultimate license so you'd only be out a few (insert whatever your currency is here).

Thanks for the info. If I get the Ultimate License, I would still need to purchase the additional 5e materials though, correct? Or would I get access to everything for the cost of the monthly subscription?

Zacchaeus
January 22nd, 2016, 22:46
Thanks for the info. If I get the Ultimate License, I would still need to purchase the additional 5e materials though, correct? Or would I get access to everything for the cost of the monthly subscription?

The monthly subscription only covers the cost of the license for Fantasy Grounds; the PHB, DMG and MM (and of course any adventures) are additional optional one off costs. As Trenloe says there's a helluva lot of material that comes free now with your subscription.

damned
January 22nd, 2016, 23:42
I personally think that the PHB is the most important of the Core Rule Books in terms of play on FG. If you want to spread the cash flow - go with the PHB and a module like LMoP. Later on when you start adding more and more stuff you will likely add the MM and maybe the DMG. They do go on sale a couple of times a year - and usually with good savings.

You can play 5e without buying anything extra as the Basic Rules and the SRD are all free on FG. These wont give you all the options and they certainly dont have all the colourful text that really bring these to life. LMoP also includes some Pre-Gens.

SilverBulletKY
January 23rd, 2016, 23:24
Are you referring to the Core Class Pack addon as the PHB? I don't see any addons called the Player's Handbook. I see the DM Guide, MM, etc etc though.

Trenloe
January 23rd, 2016, 23:27
Are you referring to the Core Class Pack addon as the PHB?
Yes.

SilverBulletKY
January 23rd, 2016, 23:47
Ok thanks. Also is the basic rules $2.99? At the moment I just have the demo license and cannot figure out how to create a character of any kind.

Trenloe
January 23rd, 2016, 23:51
Ok thanks. Also is the basic rules $2.99? At the moment I just have the demo license and cannot figure out how to create a character of any kind.
They are now free and come with FG automatically. When they were first released they were $2.99, but then Smiteworks got permission from WotC to release them with the base Fantasy Grounds product. Just start up a 5E campaign and activate the Basic Rules modules - there's two: players and DM.

SilverBulletKY
January 24th, 2016, 00:00
They are now free and come with FG automatically. When they were first released they were $2.99, but then Smiteworks got permission from WotC to release them with the base Fantasy Grounds product. Just start up a 5E campaign and activate the Basic Rules modules - there's two: players and DM.

Ah ok. So I still need a paid license to use it which is why I'm not seeing anything. I still just have the demo software.

Moon Wizard
January 24th, 2016, 00:04
Yes, that's correct. All the 5E content modules require a paid license currently.

Cheers,
JPG

SilverBulletKY
January 24th, 2016, 00:06
Yes, that's correct. All the 5E content modules require a paid license currently.

Cheers,
JPG

Thanks. So really a ultimate license doesn't do you any good if you are going to play 5e since your players would need a license to create a character?

Moon Wizard
January 24th, 2016, 00:25
For a campaign, it is common for GMs to leave their server running to allow players to connect and create characters with any modules the GM owns.

The other benefit of the Ultimate license is if the GM is the only one who needs to pay for any number of players or groups.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
January 24th, 2016, 00:37
Ah ok. So I still need a paid license to use it which is why I'm not seeing anything. I still just have the demo software.
You can get a free 30 day trial. This will allow you to get access to the basic rules modules.

SilverBulletKY
January 24th, 2016, 01:13
Ok so I've gotten into it a bit more. Basically, all fields are free form but you can drag over items that you have the rules for. So if I own the physical copy of the PHB, I could create a character free form by referring to the book?

Mask_of_winter
January 24th, 2016, 01:22
Yep, you'll have to type everything in yourself and update all attacks, spells yourself.

damned
January 24th, 2016, 01:55
Yes you sure can - but - but again with any license you get enough rules included to drag and drop a pretty good range of characters.
Every table does things their own way.
If players want to make their own characters offline they will need either real books or a license and FG modules to do so. [Edit: thanks Trenloe] If you want to be a Ranger you can just buy this class for example.
Many tables have a character creation session as session one.
Many also tee up a time pre-game to discuss characters and then build them.

Trenloe
January 24th, 2016, 02:06
If players want to make their own characters offline they will need a license and they will need either real books or FG modules to do so..
Just to clarify this statement - if the players are willing to manually enter all of the PC data they can use the FG "Manage Characters" without a FG licence. But if they want to use any of the FG modules (even the basic rules or SRD modules) they will need a minimum of a full license (permanent or $4/month subscription).