PDA

View Full Version : Error When Updating

Nyghtmare
January 21st, 2016, 21:11
Whenever I purchase something and try to update FG, either from first running FG or from running the updater EXE file separately, I get the following error message:

Everything is set to Run As Administrator, and I have no other issues with Fantasy Grounds in the least. I also have no issues updating any other piece of software on my computer.

I have also set up my AntiVirus to always permit this folder and the individual programs to run.

When I just purchased something last week, I had to reinstall FG and then let it update all of my purchases from scratch, which is every piece of 5e. It took over 2 hours.

I just made another purchase and am getting that same error.

It is making me not so inclined to visit the store if I have to install FG and all of my purchases every time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Moon Wizard
January 21st, 2016, 21:44
Two hours is a very long time to update. My computer takes 15 minutes to install every single product. Also, the error message indicates a network connection failure.

What kind of connection are you running on? If wireless, can you try connecting directly to your network via wire for an update? Also, what country are you in?

Regards,
JPG

Nyghtmare
January 21st, 2016, 22:06
I have a crappy connection because the apartments I moved to in Texas only support 30M (in California I was at 100M) and we have 2 computers, an iPhone, and an AppleTV using up the bandwidth.

My computer here is hardwired... everything else is wireless.

What could be causing a connection failure? I checked my antivirus and program rights (running everything as administrator)... I am hardwired into the internet... so I am not sure what else to check.

Moon Wizard
January 21st, 2016, 22:27
I'm not a networking expert. However, if you're on a wired connection and you're seeing these kinds of issues, my guess is that you're having a bunch of packet loss or other network issues.

Try checking out these links to see what you get:
Speed Test - https://www.speedtest.net/
Packet Loss Test - https://www.pingtest.net/

Hopefully, one of the networking gurus on the forum may be able to make more specific suggestions.

JPG

Nyghtmare
January 21st, 2016, 22:30
I did some more poking around in my antivirus and saw a setting that didn't make sense to me. So I changed it, and it seems to be updating normally once again.

Gotta love how some programs change settings on their own, huh?

damned
January 21st, 2016, 22:41
Hi Nyghtmare 30m is plenty for FG in the download section. In the upload section anything over 1 or 2mbps will be enough for most GMs.

Are you running Norton360 or Norton Internet Security? These are causing issues for some users - you need to whitelist the fantasygroundsupdater.exe

Nyghtmare
January 21st, 2016, 23:24
Yeah, I'm using the Norton 360. For some reason, it changed the setting to BLOCK for the updater. Worked fine once I put it to ALLOW, like I had it previously set. >.<