PDA

View Full Version : Players Handbook Portraits

Nalfien
March 7th, 2005, 04:51
Here is a portrait pack of the 13 example characters used in Wizards of the Coast's Players Handbook in the class section. They are .png files 63x63 pixels just like the standard Fantasy Ground portraits. I hope you like them.

The artwork is copywrited by Wizards of the Coast www.wizards.com

EDIT (Ged/SmiteWorks): Link removed

EDIT: Currently, there is a bug in the software that when scrolling down to select a portrait. Until a patch is released, remove any unused portraits from that folder and place them in a backup folder. Do not delete them! I'm sure we can move them back as soon as the bug is squashed.

Good gameing!

CMP Mynex
March 7th, 2005, 05:36
Here is a portrait pack of the 13 example characters used in Wizards of the Coast's Players Handbook in the class section. They are .png files 63x63 pixels just like the standard Fantasy Ground portraits. I hope you like them.

The artwork is copywrited by Wizards of the Coast www.wizards.com

>snip lots of words<

Uhrm... I hate to say this, but you can't distribute WotC's material, even portraits, it's copyrighted material.

And by posting it here, SW's can be held accountable (i.e. liable) as the 'distribution means.

Putting "copyright Wizards of the Coast" does not cover you.

Nalfien
March 7th, 2005, 12:46
Well, I've been a user of WotCs products for a long time and have photocopied maps, downloaded images and used in campaigns and have used their copywrited mateiral in creative ways that would normaly be concidered illegal without permission. I've never had a problem with WotC telling me to stop my online creativity.

They have included on their site a .pdf file with a handfull of these characters and some monsters to be printed, cut out, and played with on the map that comes in the back of the DM guide.

This is not for profit. I am responsible for my own actions, and hold no disclamer to the distribution of this artwork. If WotC wants to bring a lawsuit against me, I will learn the lesson the hard way. Otherwise, do not hold this website accountable for what is linked from this site. It's not hosted on their site, just mentioned that this file exists on my web space.

Where would Fantasy Ground's responsibility for my actions stop? If I post a link to a website that has used artwork from the Forgotten Realms setting as part of their banner are they liable for that too? If not, why can't I post a message saying, "Come check out my user created visual aids I have hosted on my site." And then on my site give the description I gave above and then a link to that?

Look, I'm going to make lots of this stuff, and I don't think the CEO of WotC would tell me not to even if I was dating his daughter. You can let me advertise this free tool here or not, but the community will suffer if you get to be to parinoid about it. :D

Good gaming.

richvalle
March 7th, 2005, 13:58
Hey Nalfien,

Thanks for the post. There's been a lot of talk here about what can and can not be used in FG. There might be a differance in what you can use for your personal use and what you can post free for everyone to use.

Anyway, keeping in mind that the makers of FG will not want a fight with WoTC or anyone else please post as much stuff here as you can!

:)

rv

Ged
March 7th, 2005, 15:24
Hi,

I'm sorry I had to edit the message, but richvalle is quite right. We do not want to fight with WotC, or any other party for that matter, unless it's a question of defending our own properties. Therefore, if we notice, or someone points us a copyright violation, we have little chance but to remove such references. Even if the responsibility wasn't ours in all cases, we wish to stay as far from the gray area as possible.

CMP Mynex
March 7th, 2005, 21:41
>snip los of words<

I was simply informing you of what _could_ happen if WotC _wanted_ to make a fuss.

I was not implying they would make a fuss, I was looking out for you and SW's based upon what I do day in and day out; dealing with WotC IP daily.

I had a big long response for this, but decided against it...

So i'll keep it simple, You don't own that art, and without WotC's permission, you can not modify or distribute their Intellectual Property, Period.

Whether they 'come after you' or not is a moot point, it's illegal, and that's all there is to it.

*shrug* So do as you will, but don't drag SW's down 'on accident' or tell me that i'm "Hurting the community" by making sure you don't accidentally harm SW's.

Nalfien
March 7th, 2005, 22:26
My bad, its not that YOU are hurting the community, its just my frustration with getting permission easily. I'm sorry I came off harsh. Its just that I made the portraits last night in hope to get a good response and a thank you. Instead, the first thing I see is a problem and I responded with personal feelings involved. :D