PDA

View Full Version : Second version of FG/Initiative help/Maps bigger than 5' squares

Outsider418
January 19th, 2016, 21:34
Hello Fantasy Grounds!

This should really be three threads...But questions kept popping up, so please bear with me :)

First problem. I have Fantasy Grounds (obivously). I am learning the program for an online group, but some of it's features I find helpful for my pen and paper D&D sessions. I have a question about initiative. Is there any way to manually input initiative while I'm in the Combat Tracker? It's not that my players don't trust me, but they've already expressed their discomfort at me using electronic dice as opposed to my normal bucket o' dice that I usually have (they love rolling dice). And I know they don't want me rolling initiative for them.

Also, for my pen and paper sessions, I wanted to use FG's map feature to help with large maps that D&D has been giving me lately (meaning, maps that have squares bigger than 5'. So two more things: 1) how do I import a map and make the larger squares work? Okay...I have a map that I imported of a dungeon, but each square represents 20' instead of the usual 5', how do I scale the map to represent that. And also, if I wanted to have FG show maps on the screen for a player view, do I need two versions of FG to make that happen? And if so, how do I do that without using Steam? (I tried to load Steam on my new computer an a virus kept trying to infect me.

Thanks for your help and patience. No one person has to answer all questions, just answer the one(s) you know :)

Trenloe
January 19th, 2016, 21:44
1) You can manually enter init in the combat tracker (CT). Click on the Init field for the creature in question and type the Init number.

2) FG grids for the main d20 based rulesets are always 5' per square. If you have a map with 20' per square then, if you want to use the FG grid, draw a 5' square as normal on the map - so that there are 4x4 5' FG grid squares per 20' map square. Or, just don't use an FG grid.

3) Start another instance of FG on the same computer as the GM and use "Join Game" with an address of localhost - this will connect this instance as a player, show this on your player screen.

damned
January 19th, 2016, 23:39
For steam you will need to locate the fantasygrounds.exe file and create a shortcut to that and use that to launch your second instance as Steam just tells you that its already running and wont let you launch another copy.

Outsider418
January 20th, 2016, 00:08
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.