PDA

View Full Version : The Family That Games Together...

dulux-oz
January 19th, 2016, 06:27
So, how many people here have family members that game as well?

My (very young) (adult) daughter games, often with me as the GM. She lurks around these boards too - although she won't admit we're related - something about not wanting to be associated with a "geeky dad" - as if we're not all geeks anyway :)

So, does your wife/husband/child/parent(s)/cousin/family pet/whatever game with you?

damned
January 19th, 2016, 06:35
My 9 and 10 year old sons have recently started playing - im running a Dungeon World game for them and three of their friends - lots of fun.

dulux-oz
January 19th, 2016, 06:55
My 9 and 10 year old sons have recently started playing - im running a Dungeon World game for them and three of their friends - lots of fun.

Yeah... and you can tell "dad jokes" to the captive audience too, right? :p

damned
January 19th, 2016, 11:37
Yeah... and you can tell "dad jokes" to the captive audience too, right? :p

My dad jokes are not all bad. Are they?

jshauber
January 19th, 2016, 21:27
My brother is the reason we started using VTTs and we game together every Wednesday night (barring work/lousy hotel connections/family commitments). We have also had a niece or two check it out to see what the "big nerds" are doing occasionally.

LordEntrails
January 19th, 2016, 22:43
I've been gaming with my brother for ... 40? years. Started playing with my son about 5 years ago. Daughter and wife don't join us :(

dulux-oz
January 20th, 2016, 01:10
My dad jokes are not all bad. Are they?

By definition all dad jokes are bad :D

TMO
January 20th, 2016, 06:52
I was a very active gamer in high school and early college, which is when I met the woman who would become my wife. She played often with me...to learn later that this was because it was the only way she could get a lot of my time and attention. :D

Fast forward 25 years later (the span of time which I had retired from gaming), I'm now playing again and have my 22 year old son and my 10 year old son playing. My ~20 year old daughter doesn't play RPGs, but she does play family games when she is home from college (Settlers, Ticket to Ride, Phase 10, etc.) My wife never had any interest in getting back into RPGs, so it is now just the game the "boys" play.

Some of you may have picked up on the campaign that I helped launched through the LFG forum that is designed to bring in younger kids. We have had three sessions already (four, actually, if you count a pre-launch trial run for a dad and his daughter...neither had played D&D or FG before). I'm having a lot of fun with it and I've been hugely impressed with the adult players - many who are real veterans - that are willing to play the game well without slipping into more adult speech, using innuendo, or double-entendres.

damned
January 20th, 2016, 11:45
Nice one TMO. Im so happy the game for juniors/family is a happening thing!

Mirloc
January 28th, 2016, 02:35
My son used to game with us, but he's off on his own and is running his own games. I've been slowly working on a whole new game, but my time is split between setting up the game and my normal day-to-day life.

JohnD
January 28th, 2016, 13:05
My son used to game with us, but he's off on his own and is running his own games. I've been slowly working on a whole new game, but my time is split between setting up the game and my normal day-to-day life.

Booo to normal life getting in the way.

Jingo
January 29th, 2016, 19:07
(Been away from FG for a few years but came back to the forums today and noticed this thread)

I've been gaming off and on since I was 15 and now have teenagers of my own. I started with good ol' MERP (Middle Earth Roleplaying) red box set in the mid 80s and then Rolemaster later. When I was 15 and my Mom was pressuring me with not enough time with the family, I decided to invite my Mom and Dad to play with the group for a session (they were 55 at the time). Never played with my folks since then. Just too weird. Besides they came from the generation that though D&D was devil worshiping. At least they let me do MERP.

Fast forward about 7 years. Dating my soon to be wife. Never broached the subject of my odd pastime with her until we were safely married. Some cards you have to hold close to your chest. I never could convince her play, though she and the wife of one of the other players enjoyed listening to us as players get into our characters as we sat around gaming table in the next room. Mainly played GURPS and D&D D20 and Call of Cthulhu.

Fast forward to now. Now I have three children. I've played off an on with them for about 12 years now.

My oldest (son) is 17 and still likes to game with me. 1 on 1 GMing with dad, you know. Not the best, but doable.

My middle (daughter) is almost 16 but she says RPGs stress her out because she "doesn't know how". But her true passion is in writing novels, and that consumes her time. I did break out my copies of Neverwinter Nights (the old version from Bioware) recently, and she enjoys that kind of roleplaying with us. (Thankfully she's not into boys yet. I'm sure that'll change once she starts dating...)

My youngest (son) is 8 and is waaaaay too much into Minecraft and all things electronic to want to do much else, but sometimes his hyper voice will sometimes cry out, "Dad, I know what we could do. We could do some Roleplaying!"

I don't play as much as I used to but the urge is hitting me again. Now, we mainly play Dungeon World. I love the simplicity with just enough structure to make it wildy fun. (On a side note, am wondering if there's any Dungeon World support out there for FG?)

TMO
January 29th, 2016, 19:12
Never broached the subject of my odd pastime with her until we were safely married. Some cards you have to hold close to your chest.

LOL.

BTW, my son (10) is obsessed with Minecraft as well but he is also very interested in D&D.

You might convince your daughter that true role-playing might inspire her to write some great novels. She can start by recording your game sessions and then she can go back and dramatize them.

damned
January 29th, 2016, 22:36
I don't play as much as I used to but the urge is hitting me again. Now, we mainly play Dungeon World. I love the simplicity with just enough structure to make it wildy fun. (On a side note, am wondering if there's any Dungeon World support out there for FG?)

Jingo - Ive been running some Dungeon World using CoreRPG and MoreCore. I can share my stuff with you if you like.
Am also working on a full Dungeon World ruleset but while it is 40% done it is behind Barbarians of Lemuria (90%) and Call of Cthulhu (30%) in priority.

Ellspeth
February 5th, 2016, 13:02
Yes Damned keep teasing us with those Dungeon World one shots while some of us sit out here dreaming of a longer campaign in that setting, we don't mind. I only wish I could get family to play, my son in law played RPG's years ago in the Navy but way too busy now for me to convince him to give it another go. However one of my favorite groups the GM's (who is in his mid 40's) retired mom is one of our regular players. I admit the exchanges between the two of them are nearly as entertaining as the game. It takes a loving mom to see her character killed and only refuse to speak to her son for 3 days.

damned
February 6th, 2016, 01:23
Ololol. The faces my better half pulls when she hears me gaming are bad enough - I cant imagine the ones my mother would make!

Craw
February 10th, 2016, 20:30
I first got FG back in 2005 when my wife decided that my 6 hour gaming sessions at the FLGS combined with her being stuck chasing a toddler around were not compatible with me continuing to breathe. Four years later having a pre-schooler and a toddler killed even the online regular games. Fast forward 6 years and my brother and I are reminiscing about how much fun we had as teenagers in the 80s playing D&D. His 12 year old son said "How do you play D&D without a computer?" So I dredge up my old D&D Insider account and was prepared to try and decide whether to try introducing 3e or 4e to complete newbies by boiling them down to their essence. LO and BEHOLD! 5e has already done it for me. So, after a 6 year hiatus, I'm around a table with my brother (43) nephews (12, 10) daughter (10) and son (7) running the mines of Phandelver (with the occasional break for my son to show us how cool Minecraft is...). They ate it up. (btw a cell phone makes a decent stand in for a wagon, apparently) Did I mention my brother has a twin half way across the country, also with a 12 year old? Hmmmmmmm, now how do we get Uncle and Cousin involved in a tabletop game of D&D from 2000 miles away? Guilt-free gaming with Fantasy Grounds!

Jingo
March 31st, 2016, 06:21
Jingo - Ive been running some Dungeon World using CoreRPG and MoreCore. I can share my stuff with you if you like.
Am also working on a full Dungeon World ruleset but while it is 40% done it is behind Barbarians of Lemuria (90%) and Call of Cthulhu (30%) in priority.

Hey Damned. If the offer for the DW ruleset is still available, I'd be interested in it. Btw, I just stumbled across a youtube video of you running a DW game on FGDAZE. Good work. :)

damned
March 31st, 2016, 07:40
Hey Jingo,

This should still be valid but use the latest MoreCore...

Download this and unzip it in your \campaigns directory.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uo5x5ga5ow6tid4/DWShare.zip?dl=0
Download these two and place them in your \extensions directory
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p0il9hrhp4fr1u/FGHorde.ext?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uz06td5vzfxqks/MoreCore.ext?dl=0

Restart FG and choose Load Campaign and choose DWShared and you should get a good starting point for running a FG session or six for Dungeon World.

damned
March 31st, 2016, 07:42
Hey Damned. If the offer for the DW ruleset is still available, I'd be interested in it. Btw, I just stumbled across a youtube video of you running a DW game on FGDAZE. Good work. :)

haha... i think i was at work for that session and one of the players recorded it.
i had to stop in the middle of the session for a call.

Jingo
April 1st, 2016, 06:54
Hey Jingo,

This should still be valid but use the latest MoreCore...

Download this and unzip it in your \campaigns directory.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uo5x5ga5ow6tid4/DWShare.zip?dl=0
Download these two and place them in your \extensions directory
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p0il9hrhp4fr1u/FGHorde.ext?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uz06td5vzfxqks/MoreCore.ext?dl=0

Restart FG and choose Load Campaign and choose DWShared and you should get a good starting point for running a FG session or six for Dungeon World.

Thanks Damned.
I got the .ext files fine.
But the link to the .zip file link didn't work. I got a 404 error. Anything you can do? Many thanks.

haha... i think i was at work for that session and one of the players recorded it.
i had to stop in the middle of the session for a call.

Nice! Sounds like you have a flexible job.

damned
April 1st, 2016, 07:02
I think it was between christmas and new year.... there was just me... and me in the office :)

damned
April 1st, 2016, 07:09
Try this zip....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vhupw70nsuesx3/DW-SRD.zip?dl=0

Jingo
April 1st, 2016, 07:32
Thanks for your help. I got it working.

damned
April 1st, 2016, 11:50
i think you have my email address - feel free to ask me any questions. it has no real automation. hopefully you can see what i have done.

vodokar
October 21st, 2016, 20:47
Didn't see this post until just now. I have played RPG's with my son since he was 8 years old (he's very bright), currently 15. I started him with Savage Worlds, then taught him 4e, then 1e and now 5e and DCC RPG. Also did some Mutants & Masterminds in there along the way. Planning on teaching him Mutant Crawl Classics when that comes out and I just picked up the Barbarians of Lemuria ruleset.

I play lots of physical games with him also, such as Dice Masters, Marvel Legendary, Elder Sign, Imperial Assault and D&D Attack Wing. I think we have had our most enjoyable games with D&D and Fantasy Grounds, though.

thedougalbug
October 23rd, 2016, 15:53
All my family are gamers, and have been for as long as I can remember.

One of my earliest memories is my first session of D&D, my dad was the DM, my two brothers and some of their friends were the rest of the PCs, and I've been hooked since!