PDA

View Full Version : I just got the game and can't get it to startup

Poppins
January 18th, 2016, 23:05
A friend hooked me up with FG and the OOTA campaign. Can't get this thing to work. It starts updating, I get errors, then it quits.

Here are the popups

[Window Title]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe

[Content]
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

[OK]

and...

---------------------------
Fantasy Grounds Updater
UpdaterEngine: Unable to restart FantasyGrounds.exe

Program Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe

Command Line: -z

Error: 5

OK

To get a few things out of the way:
Yes, my internet connection is working just fine.
Yes, I restarted my computer. Twice.
Yes, I tried reinstalling. Twice.
Yes, I tried running everything in admin mode.
Yes, I have paid my annual tithing to the Adeptus Mechanicus and the blessing of the machine god should be upon me.

I am running it through Steam, if that matters.

I'd appreciate any help y'all can offer.

Moon Wizard
January 19th, 2016, 00:44
It sounds like the permissions are not set correctly to allow you to install on that machine. The pieces installed by Steam simply call the standard installation of Fantasy Grounds.

Try downloading the installer from this web site, and then right clicking on the installer to Run As Administrator. Also, make sure to use the standard locations for the FG app directory and FG data directory.

Regards,
JPG

Poppins
January 19th, 2016, 03:09
It sounds like the permissions are not set correctly to allow you to install on that machine. The pieces installed by Steam simply call the standard installation of Fantasy Grounds.

Try downloading the installer from this web site, and then right clicking on the installer to Run As Administrator. Also, make sure to use the standard locations for the FG app directory and FG data directory.

Regards,
JPG

Tried it. Ran as admin and made sure my permissions were right. No go. Any other ideas?

Trenloe
January 19th, 2016, 04:26
Run Fantasy Grounds as Administrator - right-click on the startup icon and select "Run as Administrator". FYI - being logged in as a user with administrator privileges is not enough.

damned
January 19th, 2016, 06:29
those errors are saying you dont have permissions so even though you believe you have checked the permissions something has been missed.

kane280484
January 19th, 2016, 09:57
Also check if your user has permission to modify folder "Fantasy Grounds", looks like program starts running but its access to FantasyGrounds.exe is blocked.

Poppins
January 19th, 2016, 15:39
I used the installer I downloaded off this site instead of Steam.
I put permissions on the entire hard drive just to make sure I didn't miss anything.
I checked the admin box of the installer.
I ran the installer as admin.
No luck.
I repeated all of the above steps onto a different hard drive.
No luck.
I looked at the programfiles and program data FG foldesr and their contents after failed installation and the permissions were already on and everything in the folders have inherited permissions.

So I got no idea.

Trenloe
January 19th, 2016, 17:30
Can you try running the FantasyGrounds.exe file directly - it's usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe

Try running it as Administrator.

If the file is not there, or you can't run it as administrator, check your security/AV application - is it blocking the FantasyGrounds.exe application from running? There have been instances recently where some FG application files were being blocked by a local AV application.

Poppins
January 19th, 2016, 19:00
Can you try running the FantasyGrounds.exe file directly - it's usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe

Try running it as Administrator.

If the file is not there, or you can't run it as administrator, check your security/AV application - is it blocking the FantasyGrounds.exe application from running? There have been instances recently where some FG application files were being blocked by a local AV application.

I didn't have antivirus working at the time but you saying that reminded me I was overdue for a scan. Reinstalled without any problems and now FG is working just fine. Looks like I purged whatever was blocking it.

Thanks for your help everyone, I love you all.