PDA

View Full Version : manual die rolls

blinkstone
January 18th, 2016, 04:08
i don't know if its been asked before but can you input die rolls if you play face to face and people want to use physical dice? i mean can they roll to hit and i input a number and fantasy grounds handles the rest of the number crunching?

damned
January 18th, 2016, 04:49
Yes its been asked before but no it cant be done (as is).
When you add a number in FG doesnt know whether its an attack or something else and if its an attack is str based or dex based or something else and is damage and if so is it piercing or bludgeoning or silver or radiant or fire etc
It would be possible to code this but it would be a very big job and it wold be very slow to use in practice.

Have a look at this thread for some possible options.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24873-Enabling-players-to-roll-their-own-physical-dice

EDIT for some reason my link didnt add (or I didnt paste) the first time round - doh.

blinkstone
January 18th, 2016, 05:17
ok thank you for the swift reply.

Ken L
January 18th, 2016, 10:45
Looking outside the box, d20pro can let you do this since it's judge centric (even if you roll a one, the DM can approve the attack as a hit so you can use physical dice to override). Also know that the platform is limited to 3.5,PF, and 4e.

I use FG online and d20pro in-person.. or rather will be, I've been on hiatus for a bit but I recently ran with d20pro in person and it worked out well for rolling at the table and using their rolls in the automated system.

Nylanfs
January 18th, 2016, 18:23
Actually the GM could type the number rolled amd drag it to thw appropriate box

Zacchaeus
January 18th, 2016, 21:17
Actually the GM could type the number rolled amd drag it to thw appropriate box

No, that isn't possible. At least not for what the OP was asking. The number typed in has no meaning to Fantasy Grounds; so it can't know that the number typed in is an attack roll or a saving throw for example.
It is possible to pick up a dice roll. For example suppose a character forgot to target an enemy and rolled to attack. The DM could pick that dice up and drag it onto the enemy and it would detect whether it hit or not. You can do the same with a save or damage roll.

Trenloe
January 18th, 2016, 21:22
This has been discussed before, and there are solutions - GM having a dummy character sheet and the damage, for example, being a d0 which allows the GM to add the die total into the modifier box before rolling - or even just adding the die result if the damage is d0+x.

Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27793-Input-a-player-roll

kylania
January 18th, 2016, 21:48
One slightly obscure thing is that you can drag a normal die result onto a Wounds field to cause damage and you can Ctrl-Drag a die result onto a Wounds field to heal for that amount. Just gotta figure out how to assign a Type to that damage now. :)

damned
January 18th, 2016, 21:56
Have a look at this thread for some possible options.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24873-Enabling-players-to-roll-their-own-physical-dice

EDIT for some reason my link didnt add (or I didnt paste) the first time round in my first post above - doh.

Zacchaeus
January 18th, 2016, 22:05
This has been discussed before, and there are solutions - GM having a dummy character sheet and the damage, for example, being a d0 which allows the GM to add the die total into the modifier box before rolling - or even just adding the die result if the damage is d0+x.

Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27793-Input-a-player-roll

Right, I'll try and remember this since I see I posted in that thread you linked and then clearly forgot your solution and it was only a few days ago :)

dmkevin
January 19th, 2016, 23:43
I had always wondered whether it was possible to use manual die rolls with Fantasy Grounds. Great question.

Thanks to all who answered this.

Trenloe
February 6th, 2016, 20:59
A quick proof of concept manual attack roll entry extension is available for the 5E ruleset here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28235-manual-entry-dice-dialog-box-possible&p=252683&viewfull=1#post252683

MestreDosGados
January 12th, 2021, 18:17
No, that isn't possible. At least not for what the OP was asking. The number typed in has no meaning to Fantasy Grounds; so it can't know that the number typed in is an attack roll or a saving throw for example.
It is possible to pick up a dice roll. For example suppose a character forgot to target an enemy and rolled to attack. The DM could pick that dice up and drag it onto the enemy and it would detect whether it hit or not. You can do the same with a save or damage roll.

Normally i do something some what tricky. If a player rolls 23 damage, i just roll 23d1 on the chat and pull it to the wounds field

Nylanfs
January 13th, 2021, 12:12
or just type in chat, don't hit enter and drag to field