PDA

View Full Version : LFG - Hoping to get my feet wet

GoblinTown
January 17th, 2016, 18:40
Hello all,

I have been mostly an old-school gamer (basic D&D, 1st ed AD&D mostly). I have played a number of systems over the years, Call of Cthulhu, D&D 3.x, Palladium, Deadlands, White Wolf and probably a few things that slip the mind. I have no experience with 4e or 5e, but have been reading 5e and am very interested in trying it/eventually running it.

I picked up Fantasy Grounds this past sale, but don't know anyone else with it and am nowhere near confident in it enough to be running anything yet. (working on learning it)

Anyway, I haven't really played any tabletop rpg's for the past several years and am hoping to get my feet wet again and get back into the community. Some experience seeing how Fantasy Grounds works first hand in a real game would also be pretty invaluable I think.

A one shot/short adventure of 5e would be ideal for starters, but I am willing to join just about any game. I am wary of joining some of the posters looking for long term commitments right off the bat after so long of being out of the game and personal obligations that might interfere at times..

Am in Central time zone (GMT-6) and evenings work best for me, but with a one shot I can be more flexible and try to work things in when I can.

PS: I also have Tabletop Simulator in case you might have an occasional 'chair' free for that kind of gaming too. Been a while for that as well. Too long.

damned
January 18th, 2016, 03:40
Welcome GoblinTown
I saw your post over on Steam and I think maybe you also registered on FG Con?

The fastest way into a game is to post on threads when a GM advertises a new game.
Stay active on the boards and express an interest on anything that looks like it fits your availability and style.
Many games fill up fast so the GMs dont need to go looking for players...

I am going to run a One Shot game this Saturday - its at an odd hour but let me know if it interests you.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27902-Dungeon-World-One-Shot-Saturday-23rd-January
https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dungeon-world-20160123.jpg

GoblinTown
January 18th, 2016, 05:50
Awesome :) Thank you. I appreciate the advice and the offer. I have never heard of Dungeon World, but am up to give it a go. According to the calendar, it will be 5:30am my time. I can do that. I have signed up for it.

I did register for FG con about a week or so ago, right before it happened, but it seemed like all the games were filled up/had plenty of of chat in their threads and more than enough players. (I might have been mistaken as it was a bit confusing) In the end I registered for it, got the community voice chat configured and set my sights on being prepared for the next event whenever that may be.

I look forward to getting back into things this Saturday, if you will have me.

damned
January 18th, 2016, 08:20
FG Con is our big event and it runs in April and October every year. We use the https://www.fg-con.com/ website for planning and managing that.
A new event that ran last year for the first time is Gamer Geekend and (https://www.gamergeekend.com) that will be the next big Con event for Fantasy Grounds.

FGDaze! is a much smaller thing and we run it in gaps between the other events. It is a much smaller thing - 6-15 games typically and all the planning and stuff is done here on the fantasy grounds website.

I can see you have opted for a nice early start on Saturday - I look forward to meeting you.

Justicesar
January 18th, 2016, 15:30
Your in the same boat as me. I probably have played D&D only three or four times in the past 5 years when an old friend was in town around Christmas. This last time I was real impressed with the 5e rules and decided to take the plunge and bought all the core books. At this time I recalled dabbling in FG so bought all that stuff too while it was on sale. The learning curve is a bit steep for me but various tutorials on you tube have been of great help.

I would like to just play a bunch of one off games where people just bring a level TBD character......populate some monsters and go for it. Wouldn't be any real campaign building type stuff but it would allow for sharing of common knowledge regarding what to do and when, short cuts etc...

I'm usually available most evenings EST around 6-9pm M-F....a bit more on the weekends.

I'm very new to this....but you got to start somewhere.

Mask_of_winter
January 18th, 2016, 15:54
I'm very new to this....but you got to start somewhere.

Absolutely, and you'll get there. Once you start playing it ain't half as bad as you imagine. You gotta remember that even though FG is a powerful tool with many fancy bells & whistles, you don't HAVE to use all of them. Just use what works for you at the pace you're comfortable with. At first I only used the dice like you would around a real table. And to this day I still take an organic approach to how I run my games. Have I gotten more familiar with some of the gadgets? Of course I have. But really, you don't need to be a FG wiz to run a successful campaign. I know I'm not.

Damned tries to get people into as many games as he can. With community events such as FgCon and FGDaze! we try to get as many people in as well but it all comes down to GMs donating their time to run games. Keep checking out the threads in LFG, you'll find something soon. And don't be afraid to jump in on a new system. You may be as pleasantly surprised with it as you were with D&D 5e or any games you played in the 80's. Because even back then, you had to start somewhere...

That said, good luck to you! I wish you many adventures and may our paths cross.