PDA

View Full Version : Creating Danger Sense Effect and Logical NOT condition in IF/IFT statements

bluedreamer
January 17th, 2016, 18:13
Hi All,

I was trying to create an effect for the Barbarians Danger Sense

Danger Sense
At 2nd level, you gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren’t as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger. You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells. To gain this benefit, you can’t be blinded, deafened, or incapacitated."

So I tried the following which doesn't work, simplifying it I found it is the ! operator not working. It is ignored in the test

Danger Sense; IF: !blinded; IF: !deafened; IF: !incapacitated; ADVSAV: dexterity
The positive version works

Danger Sense; IF: blinded; IF: deafened; IF: incapacitated; ADVSAV: dexterity

Any chance it is easy to implement the ! operator - also to save the chain, a logical AND operator may be nice (but probably harder)

TIA

Zacchaeus
January 17th, 2016, 18:52
Yes, the Danger Sense one isn't really one you can set up an effect for since you can't test for the conditions i.e traps and spells.

The logical NOT operator doesn't work with the IF and IFT statements. In fact some of the conditional modifiers in IF and IFT statements used to only work with logical AND but M-W changed that in 3.1.3 to logical OR.

leus
January 18th, 2016, 13:08
try this one, it's not perfect but it should improve the situation
ADVSAV: dexterity; IF: blinded,deafened,incapacitated; DISSAV: dexterity

the accumulation of advantage and disadvantage is nullified and we can play with it. nevertheless if you need a real disadvantage, it should be be done manually

Zacchaeus
January 18th, 2016, 16:27
try this one, it's not perfect but it should improve the situation
ADVSAV: dexterity; IF: blinded,deafened,incapacitated; DISSAV: dexterity

This won't work since the bit after the IF statement follows logical AND rather than OR. So you'll only get the DISSAV if you are blinded and deafened and incapacitated.

The problem, in any case, with this ability is that the conditions are very specific; so you can't have the effect on the character all the time - otherwise it will affect every DEX save which is not desirable. You could create an effect ADVSAV: dexterity (with a remove on next roll) and place it on the character just before it needs to make a save of the type designated in the ability. However it would be just as quick and easy to click the ADV button just before the roll is made.

The only way to really automate this kind of effect is if more 'incoming' conditions are built into FG such as Spell or Trap; then you could use the IF statement to test for those specific conditions. However that would mean that the thing which is forcing the saving throw would also have to have a tag designating it as a spell or trap. Also the object would need to have a designation of seen and not seen in order to fulfil the other conditions. All of that would be an awful lot of coding just to automate this one ability.

bluedreamer
January 18th, 2016, 18:39
Thanks for the answers. I am actually ok with it being on all the time as games I am in a DEX save is mostly likely going to be needed from a trap/spell than anything else - so easier to undo the odd cases. Especially when some games we have 8-10 players and it is easy to miss what is going on sometimes in between your turns. If the OR worked leus solution would be close enough