PDA

View Full Version : Export Campaign as Mod to Use as Assets

bigbluepaw
January 17th, 2016, 18:02
Hey folks. I've been developing a one shot for my first DMed game in FG. In Matthew Coville's youtube tutorial...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yFW3_izigE

... when he is finished with his campaign, he exports it as a mod. That mod can then be opened as an asset like the PHB and DMG.

I want to run this one shot multiple times with different groups. Is the best way to do this? Is it so you can use all the content in the mod while tracking the states of all the PCs in multiple campaigns?

Just wanting to check and see if this is a standard practice. Thanks for any and all guidance.

Nylanfs
January 17th, 2016, 18:18
It helps keep long running campaigns less cluttered with old info that may not be any more relevant.

Zacchaeus
January 17th, 2016, 18:33
Yes, This is the way to go. You can then run the mod in different campaigns with different PCs.

bigbluepaw
January 17th, 2016, 20:02
Awesome. Thank you.

JohnD
January 18th, 2016, 00:22
Way to go.

bigbluepaw
January 20th, 2016, 18:22
I have a follow up question.

I exported my campaign as a module. I was able to create a new campaign and load that module. I noticed that the story, images, maps/images and most of the content was accessible and linked. Specifically, I had 'dragged and dropped' a lot of images into the story. That seemed to work well.

One thing I was trying to do is prepare a slew of individual sets of text to share with individual players when they passed skill checks. I created those as notes and dropped them into my story, just like maps/images, encounters, parcels and more. However, it looks like the notes weren't exported. When I open them from the story, they are empty. I can use a chat box, but I was hoping for something a bit cleaner.

How is everyone else handling prepared sets of text to use for skill checks? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Oh... and one more thing: I guess notes are meant to be campaign specific? I can see where that would make sense. If I run this one-shot several times, I might need to track notes specifically for that group of players.

Zacchaeus
January 20th, 2016, 18:52
Notes are not really meant to be used by the DM but rather the players so you shouldn't use those for anything important. They don't export with the module.

You should use story entries instead for your sets of text for anything really.

JohnD
January 20th, 2016, 19:37
When I'm DMing the only thing I use Notes for is to keep track of super secret double probation kind of stuff - wand/staff charges, etc....

LordEntrails
January 20th, 2016, 21:06
As you discovered, notes are campaign specific. So they don't export. I would suggest you create a separate tab in your story entries and put them all there. That way you can format them, organize them, and export them.

Mask_of_winter
January 21st, 2016, 01:01
I make a story entry containing all the speak bubble formatted text organized on it. When I need to share it with a player I drop it on their portrait.

pacio49
January 21st, 2016, 21:53
My Story tab entries contain both player-facing "boxed text" entries which can be dropped into the chat window/on a player, as well as GM-only behind the scenes notes. If there's a potential to use a skill check to discover something I'll make the notes about the skill check in 'private' text in the Story pane, then put the revealed text in Boxes for sharing if and when the players opt for those skill checks.

Basically, keep everything in the Story tabs. If your text is getting a bit long for a single Story entry, try breaking it up and linking to those other Story entries inside the 'main' tab. At least, that's what works for me and my crew.