PDA

View Full Version : Steam only Allows One Instance of FG?

bigbluepaw
January 17th, 2016, 17:55
Hey folks. I'm getting everything set up to host a FG game. One of the FAQ instructions when setting hosting up is to fire up a second instance of FG to log into the first one, which is hosting. However, Steam is only allowing me to start one instance of FG.

Is this the way it was intended to work? I'm a bit confused.

Nylanfs
January 17th, 2016, 18:27
Steam only allows one launch from the icon on your desktop. But you can find the "FantasyGrounds.exe" and double click that to launch a second session.

bigbluepaw
January 17th, 2016, 20:03
Thanks Paul. Great point.

bigbluepaw
January 17th, 2016, 20:07
Well this is interesting. I just tried that and I get 'error: license key conflict.'

Any insight into that?

bigbluepaw
January 17th, 2016, 20:08
Wait, it just worked with 'localhost' instead of my FG alias. I guess that is how it is supposed to work?

Andraax
January 17th, 2016, 21:58
Yes, "localhost" bypasses the license check.

damned
January 17th, 2016, 22:02
Hi bigbluepaw that is correct.
The single instance under Steam is a Steam thing.
The localhost feature is a special connection that doesnt consume a license or do the license check.

tfoxsail
April 18th, 2016, 22:36
Hate to drag up an old post but is there a workaround for the Steam issue? I need to be able to open a second instance but am stuck thanks to Steam.

Many thanks,

Tim

tfoxsail
April 18th, 2016, 22:49
Ahhh...disregard....figured it out. ;)

Mortar
April 18th, 2016, 22:49
You can open a second instance outside of Steam by navigating to the exe file on your C drive - not the one that inside your steamapps folder. You can use one to connect to the other to act as a player.

The path to mine looks like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe"