PDA

View Full Version : FG suddenly won't route anymore through my fire wall

bislab
January 17th, 2016, 15:35
I'd like a little advice on what to try next from anyone who has suggestions. I'm running the latest, current updated live version of FG on a linux system. I've made no changes to my firewall or linux box or fantasy grounds in well over a month and use the system weekly. I sit down to play a game last night and it fails the connection test. I check my router, nothing has changed port forwarded properly and correct port open. I use static IP on my systems so my IP hasn't changed for the routing table. I set the computer into a DMZ zone with no firewall and naked to the internet, still nothing. I plug the computer straight into my cable modem (no router), check that my local IP has changed in the FG menu (yes) but still no connection. I can update and start a campaign, I just can't have anyone log in. The router firmware has not been updated, has not been reset. There is no new cable modem and it has not lost settings either. My linux system is not running a firewall of it's own. I'm at a loss here. It's worked perfectly until now.

Zacchaeus
January 17th, 2016, 15:50
You sound like you know what you're talking about so this won't be the solution but I feel compelled to mention it since you didn't.

I assume that your router is directing FG stuff to your correct internal address?

Nylanfs
January 17th, 2016, 18:25
What AV system are you using (if any)?

bislab
January 17th, 2016, 21:06
Yes, I'm using the internal IP address.

bislab
January 17th, 2016, 21:08
i run linux only systems in the house so don't use anti virus software or malware scanners.

damned
January 17th, 2016, 21:59
you definitely have a static ip address on your computer?
reboot the router device - it may have lost the nat entry or overloaded its nat tables or just glitched.

bislab
January 19th, 2016, 10:42
Yes, most definitely have a static ip address, but just to see what happened, I also assigned it dynamically, checked to see what it assigned me and changed the router to allow the correct port on this new IP. Still no go. Reset the router and still no luck. I can open different ports and other software is able to allow two-way communications across that same port, just not fantasy grounds. It did not have this issue before the round of updates starting in January.

damned
January 19th, 2016, 11:22
hi bislab - do you have any other computers in the same house? could you test whether one of these can connect to your LAN IP on your FG Host computer while it is in Host mode?

damned
January 19th, 2016, 11:26
can you also try on your host computer while FG is running in Host mode:

lsof -i :1802

or

lsof -t -i :1802 | xargs ps -fp

and check if wineskin (Im guessing it will be wineskin that shows up here) is listening on that port...

bislab
February 6th, 2016, 23:20
Ok so after a long wait and much trying, still nothing guys. Under the setup that I have already listed, I attached a windows laptop with fantasy grounds on it and it still wouldn't connect. So, figuring it must be the router, I went ahead and bought a new one. Same damn problem! I'm at a loss now.... 2 different computers, 1 linux, 1 windows and neither can get through the router!

bislab
February 6th, 2016, 23:41
Another piece of information. Thinking that maybe my ISP has blocked this port, I connected straight to the cable modem with no router in between and did a ShieldsUP! test on port 1802. It shows as 'stealthed' but not 'closed' so I'm not sure what that means.

damned
February 7th, 2016, 01:23
if you have a cable modem and a router then you are probably doing double NAT.

you need to logon to to your router and add a port forward for TCP 1802 to the IP Address of your GM machine
you need to also find the WAN IP address of your router
you need to logon to the cable modem and do a port forward for TCP 1802 to the WAN IP Address of your Router

bislab
February 7th, 2016, 03:13
Lovely, I thought as much. My ISP locks the user out of the cable modem interface entirely so I'll have to get them to do it.

damned
February 7th, 2016, 03:24
bislab - i have sent you a PM. if it worked before im sure it can work again without the ISP involvement unless they changed something.
do a trace route to 8.8.8.8 - what are the first two hops? are they both internal/reserved/private IP addresses?

bislab
February 7th, 2016, 07:01
My ISP got back to me very quickly actually, they HAD in fact changed something out without letting anyone know. In January they went from public IP addresses to NAT addressing. They were kind enough to set my cable modem back to pre-January 1st and everything works smoothly now! Thanks for all the help though!

damned
February 7th, 2016, 07:47
Excellent. Glad you are going again bislab.