PDA

View Full Version : Point buy for 5e

xvaldetaro
January 15th, 2016, 20:32
Hi, I just started using FG and am trying to create a new character with point buy, but can't find it anywhere. I have seen a couple topics here that explain it, but they have a total different interface with a section to configure it that I can't see anywhere. Can someone help me find where the configuration is?

This is the screen I am seeing:

thanks for the help!

Trenloe
January 15th, 2016, 20:41
On the FG startup screen use "Manage Characters". See the launch modes here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started#Launch_Modes

Zacchaeus
January 15th, 2016, 20:43
Hi xvaldetaro welcome to Fantasy Grounds and the community.

The point buy method of creating ability scores is only available via the 'Manage Character' option. Go to the start up menu and you'll see the button there; once you are in manage characters you'll see one of the tabs on the character set up screen is for point buy.

Well, it's been a while since it happened but ninja'd by Trenloe

Trenloe
January 15th, 2016, 21:05
Well, it's been a while since it happened but ninja'd by Trenloe
Having a slow work day today... ;)

dmkevin
January 17th, 2016, 17:48
Wow, I have used the manage character section to find pre-existing characters downloaded from campaigns, and I have created characters from the beginning screen. I hadn't seen the options for the point buy (or roll dice options) under manage character for creating new characters outside of a campaign. I'm not looking to hijack the question but after just seeing this means of creating characters it appears that for the roll die option there is no automated rolls and you are to simply manually add in the figures for each roll (even where you would be choosing to drop the lowest?). Is that correct?

Trenloe
January 18th, 2016, 01:54
Set up the rolls, but you then need to roll the 3d6 or 4d6 or whatever you're using yourself, but FG will track the rolls and assigned them to the roll list.

Nylanfs
January 18th, 2016, 03:23
And then you drag them to the appropriate spot on the char sheet.

dmkevin
January 19th, 2016, 21:24
Thanks very much Trenloe and Nylanfs!