PDA

View Full Version : The forging of items within your campaign or story

Niles
January 15th, 2016, 17:45
Has anyone thought through what forging entails within their own campaign or story? Is it simply a transference of magic from item to another? Is it done by scroll or an actual machine that forges the items together? Is it simply telling the dm "i forge these two or several items together" and its done? What are the templates within your story? It seems similar to crafting items in MMO's. This is a FG creation and not in the 5e rules so there seems to be a lot of room for creativity. I would love to hear what some of you have come up with!

Zacchaeus
January 15th, 2016, 17:54
Well, I never thought about the players having anything to do with it. I just thought of it as a DM tool to speed the process of creating magic items.

Niles
January 15th, 2016, 19:21
Well, I never thought about the players having anything to do with it. I just thought of it as a DM tool to speed the process of creating magic items.

LOL! That's awesome, Zacchaeus! See, I never thought that it was for the DM at all, but for the players. It's funny, the dynamics of this game. As Shrek said, it's like an onion. It has layers. I thought it would be really rewarding for the players to have a plain piece of equipment and find something that gives it it's magic. Kind of like the whole crafting thing I mentioned, like in the MMO's. That's the great thing about this game. It's as creative as you make it...

jshauber
January 15th, 2016, 21:44
The Item Forge is for the GM to create items for the campaign quickly and easily.

Now for the players to try and create an item, then I think that could be an entire set of adventures just to gather materials they would need and find the "right" spot to forge the item....The DM then puts it together in FG and BAM the players have a newly forged item that you can give to them to use.

gqwebb
January 16th, 2016, 02:31
Normally itemy creation takes a long time. But even in the wave echo cave was a magical forge that could churn out items. Check out the mines of phendelver and that may give you some ideas

P.S I like a monster forge how about a gibbering green hag

LordEntrails
January 16th, 2016, 03:03
Or a gibbering green hag shadow lich anti-paladin...

dulux-oz
January 16th, 2016, 03:54
Or a gibbering green hag shadow lich anti-paladin...

What, my ex-wife?

Zacchaeus
January 16th, 2016, 11:26
What, my ex-wife?

There's a brave man; knowing full well that his ex wife is unlikely to read these forums :)

Mellock
January 16th, 2016, 15:48
There's a chain of magical forge shops called Smiteworks that create on-demand magic items. The headquarters in Waterdeep looks for franchising partners all across Faerun. The Smiteworks franchise in Baldur's Gate, headed by Doug Silverbeard is doing brisk business catering to adventurers.

dulux-oz
January 17th, 2016, 00:41
There's a brave man; knowing full well that his ex wife is unlikely to read these forums :)

Hey, I may have bad taste in women, but I'm not stupid :p

JohnD
January 17th, 2016, 13:01
Can't imagine an in game situation where a player would get to use the Forge. This isn't a MMO.

Niles
January 17th, 2016, 17:11
Can't imagine an in game situation where a player would get to use the Forge. This isn't a MMO.

You're right JohnD. It's not an MMO. But the Forge is very similar to crafting items in MMO's. That's why I thought that the players might like to forge their own items.

Niles
January 17th, 2016, 17:28
The Item Forge is for the GM to create items for the campaign quickly and easily.

Now for the players to try and create an item, then I think that could be an entire set of adventures just to gather materials they would need and find the "right" spot to forge the item....The DM then puts it together in FG and BAM the players have a newly forged item that you can give to them to use.

That's exactly the scenario I envisioned, jshauber. Great minds think alike! Lol!

Niles
January 17th, 2016, 17:36
Normally itemy creation takes a long time. But even in the wave echo cave was a magical forge that could churn out items. Check out the mines of phendelver and that may give you some ideas

P.S I like a monster forge how about a gibbering green hag

Thanks, gqwebb. I will check out Phandelver. The idea of an actual forge in the game intrigues me.