PDA

View Full Version : DDEX Modules?

cas206
January 15th, 2016, 00:08
Now that WotC has opened access to AL content (for a small fee of course), does this imply the modules will also be in the FG store soon?

Mask_of_winter
January 15th, 2016, 00:10
2 of them already are.

cas206
January 15th, 2016, 00:15
Yes. Those two were previously released for general play by WotC. Today they announced all modules are available for general play but at $2.99 a module. So I'm expecting the rest to be available in FG soon. Just curious if my expectation is correct.

jshauber
January 15th, 2016, 14:25
Depends on how quickly someone puts them in FG module format and if the demand is great enough for the project to be undertaken.

Frankplsr
January 21st, 2016, 05:45
Yes they have been made available for open play, but that isn't available until March 15,2016. So you will have to wait a little longer before being able to buy them. The price to get the PODF files will run from 3.99$ - 5.99$ ea.

cas206
January 22nd, 2016, 13:09
The announcements about the DMs Guild on both the wizards.com and dndadventurersleague.org websites said home play of the old Expeditions is not valid until March. Why wait until then to make home play of the Season 1 through 3 Expeditions legal? You can absolutely play the old D&D Expeditions content for home play RIGHT NOW. I'm not sure how that misperception came about, but go for it. PLEASE. (CL)

Read more: https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3161-A-Million-Answers-From-Mearls-Lindsay-About-DM-s-Guild-DDAL-and-the-OGL-(Compiled-AMA)#.VqIpPuxRPVM#ixzz3xyi55FxV

Despite the AMA answer, I'm sure it depends on whatever agreements are set by Wotc/Hasbro with FG.

Mask_of_winter
January 22nd, 2016, 13:23
Despite the AMA answer, I'm sure it depends on whatever agreements are set by Wotc/Hasbro with FG.
...and like Jshauber said, if/when a community developer takes on the project or not.

cas206
January 22nd, 2016, 14:16
Yep...that was noted.

However, with FG being primary AL online resource up until now, along with PAR5E, I would have thought (perhaps naively) that the modules were already community developed and in AL online use.

sehmerus
January 27th, 2016, 19:03
Mod files for AL have/are being made for the Online region play program (formerly called expedition of the week, soon to be re-named) we are only waiting for FG to ask for them to be submitted before we hand them over.

damned
January 27th, 2016, 22:21
nice work guys.

dmkevin
January 27th, 2016, 23:04
Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing them.

dreadpiratejosh
February 3rd, 2016, 15:12
Mod files for AL have/are being made for the Online region play program (formerly called expedition of the week, soon to be re-named) we are only waiting for FG to ask for them to be submitted before we hand them over.

I'm really curious about being able to purchase AL modules, since the time it takes me to make them is way more time consuming than the (most likely) amount it will be to just purchase them.

Does this mean that only those "quests of the weeks" will be made available, or does it mean that all of them will be made available once approved? I'm in the process of building out a random season 2 adventure, but I'd love to be able to stop and just wait to purchase it through FG.
Thanks.

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2016, 14:09
I'm trying to learn Par5e by converting some S1 AL. But f I could buy them similarly to the PDFs already out I'd be happy to ge both at those prices so could swap between method of play. I'd still convert the first one (in addition to buying FG version) to learn sing a 5e module before I rework favorites from 1e/2e.

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2016, 14:11
I'm also interested in eventually DMing in AL after get more familiar with 5e. Planning to use early DDEX1 prior to some cool FG conversions I bought so get kinks out.

FSHSchmo
February 24th, 2016, 23:55
As David said, we currently have all the AL modules built and ready to go, just need the green light :D You can find DDEX3-1 and DDEX3-2 in the FG store for free with a purchase or $1 donation.

Varsuuk
February 25th, 2016, 04:10
Thanks Schmo,

Hoping for good news soon. I am still going to complete the DDEX1-1 to learn and if by then it comes out for purchase, I can buy and compare. If not, the ill start on DDEX3-1 (I bought them booth for the donation) since can compare that one.

Looking forward to trying out AL with remote play. I have a full (ultimate) license with all the core books and several WotC mods just waiting to learn it better and get 5e play experience before I try to setup a weekly or bi weekly game.

I'm bummed I came in at end of Rage, would like to have played some of the earlier seasons before I ran em for my local group but hey... They and I will both have to (re)lean at same time then ;)

Trancekat
February 27th, 2016, 23:52
As David said, we currently have all the AL modules built and ready to go, just need the green light :D You can find DDEX3-1 and DDEX3-2 in the FG store for free with a purchase or $1 donation.

Not to belabor the point, but I'd like to note that I and several friends are all quite interested in being able to purchase the FG converted mods as soon as they're available. Last night our DM wasn't feeling up to gaming so retired for the evening. We were all ready to go so instead of bailing, we started to search for modules for FG - sadly we discovered that there were none available that we had experience with and could run without prepping before hand.

Anyway, tl;dr - Very much looking forward to seeing the mods for sale to use in FG.

Thanks!!

Varsuuk
March 12th, 2016, 05:23
OKay... what goat I gotta sacrifice, what Libation I need to make now that we have ourselves an official Coordinator for FG :)

Looking forward to getting FG versions of the AL modules!
Thanks all for your hard work!

wellbygoodbarrel
March 13th, 2016, 05:03
Hey, I don't normally post in forums and I'm new here, but I'm just posting because I looked all over and didn't find any info about the AL modules available for free on the FG store. I had already DM'd these modules IRL, but was wondering why they weren't available on

For those looking for the FREE official Adventurer's League modules, here's what's on Fantasy Grounds as of the time of this post:
DDEX3-1 Harried in Hillsfar: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EDDEX301
DDEX3-2 Shackles of Blood: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EDDEX302

Both of these state:

"* For a limited time, this module is Free with a $1 donation to the Save the Children fund at checkout or with any other purchase."

Additionally, after reading a variety of sources, I finally put deduced that the new free module set in the Curse of Strahd storyline, Death House (already available in a free .pdf download from WotC), is likely to be published for free on FG as well when the Curse of Strahd adventure becomes widely available (including in the FG store) on March 15. If you're planning on purchasing CoS anyway, the free module Death House will be included in the package, so no need to download it twice, as far as I understand.

Also, it took me a while to figure out how to get the modules into the Modules page in my Library window. It's certainly less-intuitive than it should be. If anybody needs help with that, let me know.

Hope all this was helpful to someone like me, searching around the forums for the last couple of days.

cryptoknight
March 14th, 2016, 18:42
Anybody know if I use Steam to purchase some 5e content, if the DDEX3-1/3-2 modules will be included there too?

Varsuuk
March 15th, 2016, 00:13
you have to explicitly add it to the cart, but unless it ended, that should be it :)

ChazRambone
March 24th, 2016, 21:29
Would be cool if like Pathfinder Society, trading would be allowed as long as proof of ownership was reasonably proven... that goes for a lot of module content though

damned
March 24th, 2016, 21:34
If you GM an event at FG Con you will receive six pre made scenarios!

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/fgcon8-banner-03a.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 8 – Invite A Friend April 8-10th 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Varsuuk
March 25th, 2016, 05:55
I can't learn the game / FG fast enough to be ready for this FGCon, although I'd LOVE to buy the DDEX Modules for FG if they had been allowed to sell them which I'm guessing they can't or they would have them up for sale already ;)

On vacation now, away from my PC for another near week... I so twitchy.

timdog88
March 26th, 2016, 23:51
Which 6 scenarios would you receive? I'm considering adding an event to the schedule of its not too late.

damned
March 27th, 2016, 05:46
You must be a registered ALO DM and you must run one of these.
Send an email to [email protected] and check here: https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ALO_FGCon8_Guide.pdf

Season 3
Death on the Wall - Tier 1 - 2 hours
Szith Morcane Unbound - Tier 2 - 4 hours
Writhing in the Dark - Tier 2 - 2 hours
Hillsfar Reclaimed - Tier 1 - 2 hours
Herald of the Moon - Tier 2 - 4 hours
The Quest for Sporedome - Tier 2 - 2 hours

Season 4
Suits of the Mists - Tier 1 - (5) 1 hour adventures

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/fgcon8-banner-01.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 8 – Invite A Friend April 8-10th 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

FSHSchmo
March 28th, 2016, 02:27
Which 6 scenarios would you receive? I'm considering adding an event to the schedule of its not too late.

If you DM one session at the Con you receive all of them plus some added in goodies :D

timdog88
March 28th, 2016, 02:30
If you DM one session at the Con you receive all of them plus some added in goodies :D

Well, you talked me into it! I just submitted a game post for review for Hillsfar Reclaimed. Looking forward to running. I'm fairly new to FG, but am really loving it so far. I've run more games in the last week that I did in the last 3 months combined.

FSHSchmo
March 28th, 2016, 03:14
Well, you talked me into it! I just submitted a game post for review for Hillsfar Reclaimed. Looking forward to running. I'm fairly new to FG, but am really loving it so far. I've run more games in the last week that I did in the last 3 months combined.

Approved your game and sent you over the modules needed for the Con and a few things extra :D

timdog88
March 28th, 2016, 03:26
Approved your game and sent you over the modules needed for the Con and a few things extra :D

Hey, thanks for the approval and the goodies! One problem though- on the calendar, the game is showing up on Thursday night at 9PM. I checked the listing, and I listed it for Friday the 8th, UTC 0100-0300, which corresponds to 2100-2300 eastern. What am I missing?

timdog88
March 28th, 2016, 03:53

Never mind, I think I figured it out. I resubmitted the game and it should show up now as Friday night, 2100-2300 eastern. Thanks again.

timdog88
April 10th, 2016, 04:35
My FG-con game went great! I just wanted to chime in and add my voice to those who would like to be able to buy the AL mods here formatted for fantasy grounds.

damned
April 10th, 2016, 04:41
Well done timdog88!

Varsuuk
April 10th, 2016, 07:02
I was hoping to see how the AL modules translated but never go in one of the AL games during FGCon.

Still, I'd still love to get the chance to buy some of the early seasons especially.

timdog88
April 10th, 2016, 14:42
They convert pretty well for the most part. Some of them still use the hand drawn maps, but most have redone color maps. You can by the maps on jpg format on the dmsguild, and put in the rest of the adventure yourself if you want. I may start doing that with the new season as it doesn't look like hey will be made available for sale here anytime soon.

Varsuuk
April 10th, 2016, 15:20
Glad to hear about the redone maps, wish I'd gotten in the game to see examples. I didn't buy the map sets because I have the PDFs and these were not any different looking other than higher res, at least early on he was only hoping to make player/Dom separate versions so I didn't see much value for even that small amount.

timdog88
April 10th, 2016, 16:32
Well, for the technically challenged like me, it's easier to drop a buck or two than to try to convert pdfs to jpgs.

Senoj
April 11th, 2016, 01:50
I had the opportunity to play and run in a couple sessions this weekend using the converted DDEX mods. I have also played and prepped (never ran) a AL sessions outside of FG. Utilizing the module as a DM was great. It made walking through the process very easy. I had my printed out copy of the module on my desk and only referred to it once or twice.

A couple weeks ago, I did get a chance to watch FSHSchmo create a couple of modules during "coffee with FSHSchmo" on twitch. It really helped me understand the thought process behind it. While it was easy and I did halfway convert a couple of the season one modules, I would still easily drop a few dollars so I don't have to.

Put my vote in for the DDEX modules being desired, useful, and worth it. I still will buy the DMSGuild's modules and updated maps whether or not the FG DDEX modules are on the market place or not.

giveup
May 18th, 2016, 03:24
Is there any news on this possibly happening? I realize the current season is underway with some of them posted already. But I would love to see seasons 1-3 all posted up as well. The older ones make for great little one offs for when the whole group cant get together for the main campaign. If they could be done for a few bucks, it would be nice to just be able to grab them at a moments notice based on which of my players have played what in the past.

gm_chris
May 21st, 2016, 02:33
Chiming in with the promise to purchase once they are available. Also once they're available, I can start running them for others... We all win.

Minty23185Fresh
February 19th, 2018, 21:56

Okay, let's beat this dead horse! What's the hold up? WotC? And why?

Reason I ask is, if you guys have put this on the back burner, and now sold the stove, based on their age, they might never see the light of day. If that's the case, I'll convert them, and attempt approval by WotC, which under their new licensing agreement, might come to fruition. (Yes, yes, I know, stupidly optimistic, to be sure.)

But if WotC gave you guys a flat, "Nope!" I won't follow you down that rabbit hole.

Thanks in advance guys.

Teufelhunde87
February 20th, 2018, 18:40
Okay, let's beat this dead horse! What's the hold up? WotC? And why?

Reason I ask is, if you guys have put this on the back burner, and now sold the stove, based on their age, they might never see the light of day. If that's the case, I'll convert them, and attempt approval by WotC, which under their new licensing agreement, might come to fruition. (Yes, yes, I know, stupidly optimistic, to be sure.)

But if WotC gave you guys a flat, "Nope!" I won't follow you down that rabbit hole.

Thanks in advance guys.
Several of us have converted a ton of them(lost most mine to a bone head computer issue!) . The problem is they need approval from the author (my understanding) and that can vary greatly. Some have gotten back to people about sharing created mods, but not all. A decent amount of modules are available on the DMs Guild as FG mods . I can usually convert a module in 2-4 hours depending on maps, distractions , etc. The biggest issue with community submitted content would be Uniformity. My computer issues took the wind out of my sails for a while, but I am starting back up slowly but surely and will attempt to contact authors again as I do.

giveup
February 20th, 2018, 20:07
My understanding as well. It is up to the author.

I'm guessing the PDF is covered under WOTC license and can be hosted/sold on DMSguild. FG mods probably aren't as the adventures predate FG becoming official?

So it boils down to the author wanting to convert it, or paying someone to convert it. And setting up a account on DMSguild to sell and get paid? I'm guessing some authors just don't see the couple bucks a month as worth the effort maybe? Shame, because I will never find the time to convert them, and they make great pick-up/one shot games. I'd love to see it happen!