PDA

View Full Version : How do I get this product to work?

blackbird5648
January 14th, 2016, 23:32
I am running FG on Windows 7 and having a hell of a time getting it to run properly. Everything is installed my campaign is ready to go but I cannot get a successful connection externally. Every test I've run has failed. I have a Quest Q1000 router and have allowed port forwarding on 1802 using my internal IP address for both UDP and TCP. My UPnP and Set UPnP NAT State are disabled, as is DMZ hosting. My windows firewall is set to allow FG to run through it and I even adjusted the advanced settings for inbound rules for FG port and protocols (i.e. local port 1802), Scope is specified as my internal IP, and Edge Traversal is set to Defer to Application.

I am not a techie. so I have been stumbling through the posts here trying just about everything I can understand.

I should point out that the Internal IP used by FG when loading my campaign defaults to my IPv4 address and not my IP. Considering that much of what I have read has directed me to use my IP address I don't understand why FG would use my IPv4 instead.

Please help. I really wish the developers would have some sort of service to help people to set up their product.

-Dave

dulux-oz
January 15th, 2016, 00:18
Hi Dave,

Damned is the best person to help with this - he's a real wiz at getting people sorted. I'm sure he'll drop in soon and help out.

In the meantime, let me see if I can give you a few pointers: www.portforward.com is the best online resource to help people set up their firewalls correctly for all sorts of programs and all sorts of makes and models. If you haven't checked it out then it might be worth while doing so.

When we're talking internet connections via a router we have two IP addresses (usually IPv4, but occasionally IPv6) - an Internal IP Address (normally something like 192.168.1.1 or 10.1.1.1) and an External IP Address supplied to us by our ISP. Our Routers normally translate one to the other for any information flowing through them.

So here's a few things to try (if you haven't tried them already): on the Load campaign Screen of the FG Launcher on the right-hand side there is some Address Information. From here you can see what FG believes your Internal and External IP Addresses are. If you have players on your network they connect to you (if you are the GM) using your Internal IP Address. if the Players are "out there" on the Internet they connect to you on your External IP Address OR they can use your Alias Information (further down the Launcher on the right-hand side).

You can also start a 2nd copy of FG on your computer (as a player/client) and connect to the first (as the GM/host) using an IP Address/Alias of "localhost" (without the quotation marks). Try this first, to make sure FG is "good" on your computer.

If the above works and you have access to a 2nd computer on the same network, try connecting this 2nd computer to the first using the 1st computer's Internal IP Address.

By the time you check all that damned should be online and he'll be able to help further.

Good luck, and let us know how you go

Cheers

damned
January 15th, 2016, 02:34
I just sent you a PM...