PDA

View Full Version : New to Fantasy Grounds and D&D and looking for a DM.

CrossyT
January 14th, 2016, 03:12
Me and two friends just bought Fantasy Grounds and intend on playing 5e, but have no idea what we are doing and are looking for a DM to kind of lead us through a tutorial campaign. Would appreciate any help!

-Kadek

Black Hammer
January 14th, 2016, 17:06
Would help if you posted your timezones and availability, since while I'm sure several people, including myself, on here would consider running a tutorial game for you, it is hard to commit if the schedules don't line up.

I'm EST (GMT-5), but prefer a slightly earlier game since I work 4AM to noon most days.

CrossyT
January 14th, 2016, 23:45
Yup, I definitely forgot to put our time zones, we have 2 in CST and a few in EST. Most of us work until about 4 EST, but we have 2 that work until about 6 or 7 EST. It might work to do it on Saturdays when all of us are off work. Thank you for your reply!

JohnD
January 15th, 2016, 03:17
In your first post you say there's three of you. In your later post, you make it seem like there's more than that. How many of you are there?

Edit; I ask because that might be important to someone who might be able to give you an intro.

CrossyT
January 15th, 2016, 20:56
Yes, you're right and I understand the need to know a player count. As of right now I think there will be three of us. I was sorta including everyone from another campaign we were planning at a later date without thinking. So, 3 is looking like the solid number.

JohnD
January 15th, 2016, 21:06
So, another question comes to mind. :bandit:

When you say "a tutorial campaign", what do you mean? Would you want to be walked through character creation in FG? Or simply start with pre-gen PCs and get some quick exposure to how you use FG to facilitate the table top gaming experience? Or, something else?

I ask because there are different time requirements on the part of the person providing the tutorial. :)

CrossyT
January 15th, 2016, 22:12
So, we are new to D&D, but have already been walked through character creation and general rules, I've been reading through the handbook quite a bit. I have an offline campaign that is starting this Sunday. The only real issue is with Fantasy Grounds itself. We won't start with pre-gen PCs as we have already made a few while messing with the application, but the second option, "get some quick exposure to how you use FG to facilitate the table top gaming experience" is what we need.

damned
January 15th, 2016, 22:26
So you would like an hour or two tutorial and then you guys are right to go yourselves? That will be easier to find.

CrossyT
January 15th, 2016, 22:32
I mean, if that's all we can find, that would work, but we would rather a campaign.

Willot
January 15th, 2016, 22:59
Get people to load up teamspeak too. (you can use whatever voice you like but alot of ppl here use the FG teamspeak server)

Some quick tips if you havent already figured them out

The Combat Tracker is GOD. Almost all things are done "to and from" the CT. When you drag a character or NPC (monster) on to the map you drag it from the CT not anywhere else. (If you drag a PC from Example from the Characters Window onto the map it wont link to the CT and nothing will work)

Effects (advanced) can only be placed onto character (NPC) in the Combat tracker

You can /Whisper stuff to each other but (as in most cases) the player have a long name like Elsethalil Donmatalnadia You can just type /w else and press the TAB key and it auto fill the rest

You can type commands in the chat like /die 2D6 and then drag that down to the hotkeys at the bottom

The Effects are the most powerful feature of the software. You will need to learn them and it will take awhile to get a grasp of them but once you do The software becomes almost unstoppable. Dont give up on effects

NOW while effect are powerful they cant do everything Remember you can just roll the die yourself and do it manually. Also often the effects will "auto " roll the saves for you. Usually players liketo roll thier own saves. But that depends

When you get some play time in alot of this will sink in.

damned
January 16th, 2016, 02:12
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27869-Out-of-the-Abyss