PDA

View Full Version : dnd 5e adventures requirements

stoto
January 13th, 2016, 02:37
just wanted to ask: i own the basic version of FG. can i play any of the dnd adventures without owning any other package or do i need to purchase the DM and other handbooks? thank you in advance

damned
January 13th, 2016, 02:50
Yes.
You can play as a player without any other DLC.
If you want to access classes/races that are not in the Basic Rules you or the GM will need that DLC or you will need to input the data manually as you level up etc.

stoto
January 13th, 2016, 03:19
so if i want to use it (as DM or player), i can but i will only have access to the free classes and whatever the module contains.

Trenloe
January 13th, 2016, 05:32
so if i want to use it (as DM or player), i can but i will only have access to the free classes and whatever the module contains.
Correct - if you know the D&D 5E rules then you don't need the MM, DMG or PHB (Core Class Pack). The scenario module purchased from the FG store will contain all of the NPCs, maps, tokens, etc. you need to run that scenario/campaign.

What you will be missing is the full range of races and classes from the PHB - FG will give you as standard what is in the D&D Basic rules, PDFs available here: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules?x=dnd/basicrules But, as damned say, you can enter all of the PC information manually so you don't "need" the PHB, but it can be very nice if the GM has it so that all of the players can use the drag/drop functionality of all races, classes, abilities, weapons, etc. from the PHB.

stoto
January 13th, 2016, 11:52
thanks for the quick response. i was thinking having a more hybrid style. i was thinking playing with my wife, using FG adventures for the maps and the story, but real dice and character sheets for the game. i do have the hardcopy of the books.

damned
January 13th, 2016, 11:59
thanks for the quick response. i was thinking having a more hybrid style. i was thinking playing with my wife, using FG adventures for the maps and the story, but real dice and character sheets for the game. i do have the hardcopy of the books.

you can do that just fine.

LordEntrails
January 14th, 2016, 04:00
Also be aware, with the release of the 5E SRD and SmiteWorks publishing it in the update this evening, you will have access to all of the Basic Rules and the SRD content, which is quite a bit.

stoto
January 14th, 2016, 04:24
this sounds great, although i am still learning the basics. for now i purchased the phandelver starter kit hardcopy, but i plan to use maps and custom made tokens on FG for better visualization for my wife. together we will control 4 characters 2 of them custom made and two pregen. this way we ll get a better grip of the rules and dming.

Trenloe
January 14th, 2016, 04:53
for now i purchased the phandelver starter kit hardcopy.
If you can stretch to it I'd recommend getting the FG module for the Lost Mine of Phandelver: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5ELMOP

This will give you all the maps, NPCs, tokens, etc. for the whole campaign. It will allow you to run the adventures very smoothly and reduce your prep time in FG considerably.

stoto
January 14th, 2016, 05:00
my timing was bad. i first bought the tabletop starter kit, and then i was introduced to FG. but for sure i ll try the rest of the adventures in digital form FG version the next time :) FG is an amazing tool. i made tokens out of bobs burgers characters and my wife was pretty excited ;)

Trenloe
January 14th, 2016, 05:30
i made tokens out of bobs burgers characters and my wife was pretty excited ;)
Can't beat that. You're onto a winner! :)

Mask_of_winter
January 14th, 2016, 05:48
my timing was bad. i first bought the tabletop starter kit, and then i was introduced to FG. but for sure i ll try the rest of the adventures in digital form FG version the next time :) FG is an amazing tool. i made tokens out of bobs burgers characters and my wife was pretty excited ;)
Genius!
One of my players made portraits/tokens from the Darkest Dungeons pc game. They're a bit dark but they definitely captured the feel of Shadow of the Demon Lord.

stoto
January 14th, 2016, 11:51
this is great and it is so easy to make tokens out of everything !