PDA

View Full Version : New user from r20, questions regarding macros, health bar etc.

Prons
January 13th, 2016, 00:57
Hello everyone, I've been a long time roll20 user and have just joined Fantasy Ground because one of my longterm GMs wants to try it out. I have some random questions:

1) How do I set up dice macros? The wiki just tells you how to /die roll. How do I tell dice to reroll highest? Is there a way I can tell it to count dice pool successes? When rolling a pool of dice, how do I get it to sort from highest to lowest? Or how about measuring degrees of success on a d100, like Warhammer? Is there a geneirc way to do this, or do I have to find rulesets for each new "system?" I bet there's a wiki page, but I wasn't able to find it. :o

2) I noticed the built in 3.5 ruleset has the ability to show health bars, but the GURPS ruleset doesn't seem to have that feature. Is there a way to set custom bars, or some feature I'm not noticing?

3) I don't like that maps are "always on top" by default. Is there a way I can set it so the chat box and dice rolling functions are always over the map?

Thanks for the help in advance, this looks like a great software and community.

Nylanfs
January 13th, 2016, 01:02
Welcome to the forums!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page (Also at the top of the forums under "Wiki". :)

JohnD
January 13th, 2016, 01:22
Good choice. Ask questions; the community here is solid.

damned
January 13th, 2016, 02:46
Hello everyone, I've been a long time roll20 user and have just joined Fantasy Ground because one of my longterm GMs wants to try it out. I have some random questions:

1) How do I set up dice macros? The wiki just tells you how to /die roll. How do I tell dice to reroll highest? Is there a way I can tell it to count dice pool successes? When rolling a pool of dice, how do I get it to sort from highest to lowest? Or how about measuring degrees of success on a d100, like Warhammer? Is there a geneirc way to do this, or do I have to find rulesets for each new "system?" I bet there's a wiki page, but I wasn't able to find it. :o

2) I noticed the built in 3.5 ruleset has the ability to show health bars, but the GURPS ruleset doesn't seem to have that feature. Is there a way to set custom bars, or some feature I'm not noticing?

3) I don't like that maps are "always on top" by default. Is there a way I can set it so the chat box and dice rolling functions are always over the map?

Thanks for the help in advance, this looks like a great software and community.

Roll20 and Fantasy Ground are both good pieces of software but they do things quite differently. Things that you have come to depend on in Roll20 may not translate to equivalent features in Fantasy Grounds and vice versa.

1. You can drag individual dice onto a hotkey bar (1-12 at the bottom of the screen. can click these or use the matching [F-key]. additional hotkey bars by holding [ctrl], [shift], [alt] and combinations of these) and can drag multiples and combinations. FG has a big gap (imo) in that it doesnt natively support exploding dice, drop, keep, reroll etc functions. It can do any combination of +/-dX +/-dY +/-Number but not a whole lot more. Generally most of the system specific calculations are built into specific rulesets. You can use CoreRPG (and I recommend the MoreCore extension) to run most unlisted systems - Im running Dungeon World and Mask_of_Winter is running Shadow of the Demon Lord using this combination.
2. All/most of the CoreRPG rulesets support the healthbars but GURPs is an older ruleset that doesnt have this right now. Community member ronnke is rebuilding GURPs as a CoreRPG ruleset but that is a lengthy project so there is no current ETA.
3. Right now the chat window is basically a fixed window. All interactively opened windows do appear above the fixed window. Which ever is the currently selected window/windows will be on top. I can only suggest that it takes some practice to use the windows in ways that work for you. Some people have 3 monitors and oodles of windows open, some use minimised windows, some drag window shortcuts to hotkeys and some are just really good at minimising how many windows they use. Its very easy to have a dozen or more windows open!

Good luck - hopefully you will find this platform suitable to your gaming needs :)

Mask_of_winter
January 13th, 2016, 02:53
Screen real estate management takes some time getting used to. Along with what Damned mentioned, you can unlock and move a few UI elements such as the chat window by right clicking on it, hit unlock and then you can resize and move it.