PDA

View Full Version : New LFG

Ravilla
January 12th, 2016, 09:19
Hey all. Im new to fantasy grounds and DnD and was wondering if there were anyone with some games that are newbie friendly. My timezone is EST. Ive always wanted to try DnD, but never been around people who wanted to play it or try, so I figured online might be a easier way to try and play. Ive played MMO's before, but never something like traditional DnD. So if anyone is willing to accept a newbie in their game, that would be great. Ive also read some of the guides and manuals and watched some videos as to how to use fantasy grounds.

Aggromal
January 12th, 2016, 12:43
It's going to be really hard to get into games through a LFG post on the forums. Your best bet is to keep checking back and find threads with a GM looking for players. Don't limit yourself to just D&D though, there are plenty of rulesets that are tons of fun and would give you more of an opportunity to get into a game.

That said, you might want to check out the LFG template thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25750-Template-for-Player(s)-Looking-for-Group-Listings) so people reading your post have a better idea of what you're looking for and when you're available.

Ravilla
January 12th, 2016, 13:00
Well I thought that was the whole idea behind a LFG forum. Also I will check back, but I don't want to jump into a game that wouldn't be newbie friendly. Not sure what you mean I guess by limiting myself to D&D only. I thought thats all fantasy grounds was. The template though was a good idea, so heres that -

FG License: Demo, for now
Time Zone: EST Michigan
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: At the moment, my schedule is open for when ever
Term: Any
Voice: Either

Game System Preferred: D&D
Game System Experience: None
Fantasy Grounds Experience: None

Character Type Preferred: Any

Ellspeth
January 12th, 2016, 13:20
Hi Ravilla and welcome. We know when Fantasy Grounds gained the licensing from WoC it brought a lot of new people in, but indeed Fantasy Grounds supports many RPG's. Pathfinder, Castles and Crusades, Savage Worlds, Warhammer, and many many more. All were unfamiliar to me in the beginning, but during my time here I have tried the various choices, and over time of course developed my own preferences. Of course posting here looking for a game is part of what the forum does, but GM's don't always have time to read through all the posts, so the double approach, your post, and then watching for GM's to post openings can speed your chance of finding games that suit you. Aply to any in your time zone that interest you, nearly all the games here are welcoming to new players when they have openings. I have only been here a bit over a year, have 8-9 regular games, and this past weekend ran my first game for FG_Daze. Persistence pays.

Mask_of_winter
January 12th, 2016, 13:22
You can play any of the few thousands RPGs available on the market on Fantasy Grounds. About 14 are officially supported, over 30 rulesets are made by the community. While D&D 5e, Pathfinder, D&D 3.5 and D&D 4th make a large percentage of game played here, there are many other games.

Andraax
January 12th, 2016, 15:00
My Tuesday night games of Castles & Crusades needs a new player or two. 8-11pm US/Central.

Ravilla
January 13th, 2016, 00:29
My Tuesday night games of Castles & Crusades needs a new player or two. 8-11pm US/Central.

I'd be interested in that, would I need more than the demo version to get started?

Andraax
January 13th, 2016, 00:35
I'd be interested in that, would I need more than the demo version to get started?

No; I run the Ultimate version, so any license can connect.

Ravilla
January 13th, 2016, 00:40
ok cool, what sort of info will I need to get started?

White_wolf
January 13th, 2016, 00:50
ok cool, what sort of info will I need to get started?
I can't speak for Andraxx, but you might want to check out the quick start rules found here (https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cnc_qs.pdf).

damned
January 13th, 2016, 02:32
The quickstart rules are great to give you an idea of the mechanics and how they vary from AD&D.
Mainly 2 things - Ascending AC and using Siege Checks instead of numerous other tables and skills.

If youve played BECMI/AD&D/D&D2e and even 3e/3.5e you should feel right at home.

Ellspeth
January 13th, 2016, 02:55
Andraxx is an excellent GM and very good for newbies, his Sunday night game was one of the very first I joined, and over a year later the game is still running, and the same 7 players are still with it. Good luck in your game I know you will enjoy it.