PDA

View Full Version : Gauging Interest in ORE

chanceboon
January 11th, 2016, 20:08
Recently decided to pay for the ultimate license and thought about running a Dark ORE game. For those of you that aren't familiar with ORE, it's used in God-Like, Wild Talents, Reign and Nemesis.

The specific take on the One Roll Engine (ORE) that I'd like to use is the one included in the Nemesis system...which is completely free on the Arcdream website. It is a horror game with a very interesting dice mechanic...simple to learn, but very broad-reaching. I was thinking of running a WW2 era campaign on Friday or Saturday afternoons / evenings.

No experience needed...any interest?

Skillkoil
January 11th, 2016, 22:26
Depending on the time day etc.. I would love to check it out.

Echomikedelta
January 11th, 2016, 23:31
I would play a WWII campaign.

Black Hammer
January 13th, 2016, 03:40
Good luck with the ORE. I've run a few games with it, mostly demos at conventions, and have mixed feelings about the system. In my experience, Monsters and Other Childish Things is probably the best game I've seen use it, with Wild Talents suffering a bit from the vagueness of power creation.

chanceboon
January 13th, 2016, 15:28
I actually like the vagueness of the ruleset. I'm an old D&D GM from first edition through second edition...when I first came across ORE I was used to rule books that had a paragraph for every conceivable scenario and a rule that dealt with each one, so when I read the ORE SRD the first time, I was like 'What happens when the players come across this?','...how does that work?'...but then I finally realized that the vagueness of the system isn't a weakness, it's actually one of it's strengths!

No more spending an hour sifting through countless books looking for one minute rule that one of my players enacted in a rare scenario...heck, no need for other books at all. The vagueness does take some getting used to, but my groups seem to love it.

Black Hammer
January 13th, 2016, 15:36
Just like granularity, though, vagueness works better for some games than others. It works really well for Monsters and Other Childish Things, which is why I feel that's the best ORE experience I've had. Wild Talents, on the other hand, tries to implement a lot more mechanical control to power balance, and there I find the vagueness to be counterproductive to the system. Could just be me, though, or some of the twinks I've played with.

chanceboon
January 13th, 2016, 15:47
Admittedly, my experience with Wild Talents is a little thin, but I've played Reign and Nemesis both and I love them. I do see your point, though. Great points.

Black Hammer
January 13th, 2016, 16:20
The system does have a lot of potential, but it seems to lean towards the system light or narrative style of game, which sadly seems less popular around here than crunchy combat systems. MaoCT (and in particular Lampwick) is one of the few newer indie games that I'd be willing to run in its default setting. Too many of the indie settings these days are postmodern fantasies that smack of Brave New World.

Wild Talents does have some excellent stuff on superhero worldbuilding that I'd recommend to anyone.

chanceboon
January 13th, 2016, 18:25
You've inspired me to give MaoCT a look. As I said, my ORE experience is more toward Reign and Nemesis, but you aren't the first person to tell me that the setting for MaoCT is good. Excellent!

sctorchwoodfan
January 19th, 2016, 02:57
I am looking for a non-DnD game so I would be interested depending on the time / day.