PDA

View Full Version : Looking for DM... or Players? (5E)

Maelwys
January 11th, 2016, 00:58
I purchased the standard license over the Steam sale, as well as the 5E Core Players kit, and have been looking since then for any group that I can join. Unfortunately it seems hard to find any group that isn't already overwhelmed with players, let alone one that happens to be at a time that I can easily play (between work and kids, my play time is somewhat restricted). I thought I was in one, but then it was cancelled right before the first session, for unspecified reasons... which was very disappointing.

Anyway, now I'm saddened by the lack of my ability to play with my new toys. So if anybody has any games that they're still looking for players in, preferably starting around/after 9pm EST any day of the week, let me know!

But, failing that, since it seems like DMs are in reasonably short supply here, my second alternative is to offer to DM myself. I was planning on doing that in like 6 months (after having a chance to participate as a player for a while first, to get more comfortable with the FG interfaces and stuff), but if that'll be 6 months of just sitting around not getting into games, than maybe I'll think about just skipping that part and offering to start DMing right now. The problem is, after having just purchased the game and player kit, I don't have enough cash on hand to buy any of the module kits right now. So if anybody is desperate enough for a DM that they'd like to make a donation, I'm happy to be that DM. But since I don't really think people want to send modules to random strangers on the internet, the other option is that I dig up enough change to buy one of the cheap adventures (Murmuring Fountain or Fiddler's Lament), and run those, and then by the time it's done hopefully I'll have enough spending money to get one of the larger campaigns.

So basically, I guess this is all just a long-winded way to say....

FG License: Standard (so all players must also have a Standard license)
Game System: D&D 5E

Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Day of week and time: Wednesday evenings, 9:15pm
If new game, planned start date: Jan 20th
Planned Frequency: Weekly
Term: Short term, potentially leading to a long-term campaign if it goes well

Text or Voice: Voice preferred
Voice software used: Skype

Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50
Number of Players in game & needed: 0 in game, need 3-5
Character starting level & equipment: 1st Level
Character restrictions: Core classes and races

Details of your scenario: See above ramble. ;-)

Other: If you have a preference between the two modules named above (since I haven't bought or read either of them yet), let me know (ie: if you've already played one of them). I'll probably be purchasing one of them within the next few days, so that I can start reading and prepping stuff. If you don't have any of the character creation stuff, I've got the complete Core pack, so we can make plans to meet up and roll your character together. Any questions, let me know.

Echomikedelta
January 11th, 2016, 01:22
What time do you intend to play until? Reason I ask, I have to get up at 7am est during the week. If the game ends by midnight eastern, count me in.

Maelwys
January 11th, 2016, 01:32
What time do you intend to play until? Reason I ask, I have to get up at 7am est during the week. If the game ends by midnight eastern, count me in.

Yeah, so do I. ;-) I'd be aiming to end by around 11:30 each night, assuming that we weren't in the middle of a combat or something at that point.

Aggromal
January 11th, 2016, 02:05
I've had the same problem with getting groups going, it seems there's just a really large player base compared to a relatively smaller DM pool. I'd be interested in joining this game though, I'm kinda in the same boat as you, lots of tools and aspirations to DM, but kinda inexperienced with FG as a whole and would like to get some games in to get the feel for it before I try to lead a group of people.

Time works for me (wouldn't mind it being earlier, but I'm just 1 guy), and I could make the games with a solid amount of consistency (every once in a while work gets weird).

JohnD
January 11th, 2016, 03:07
There will always be more players than there are DMs.

5E in particular is a bit of a juggernaut right now, so a DM doesn't really have to do too much to fill up his/her game; just post it and watch your list fill up to and beyond the 'full' point. Now, not every player who signs up will stick - there are a lot of people who show up for the 1st session or two and disappear into the ether of the internet, never to be seen/heard from again. That's just the way it is on-line. Eventually though, you assemble a solid group where everyone sticks together for months/years, with the odd loss due to Real Life getting in the way.

If you start DMing, and will also be learning to use FG at the same time, keep your initial group small - say 3-4 players. Be upfront about your FG experience level so you don't get people who are expecting someone with years of experience in the software (i.e. it is understood that the road might be a little bumpy in the beginning).

If you continue trying to get in a game as a player, know that dropping a post here probably won't work if your system of choice is 5E; as I said, the games fill up and then some without the DM having to do very much. So, seize the initiative; post in threads where someone is recruiting for a game which is at a time and on a day and a frequency that you can reliably make. Send the DM a PM perhaps, and if they link to a campaign page, definitely apply there.

Like in face-to-face, it can take some time and effort to find a group that you mesh well with.

Robwriter
January 11th, 2016, 03:11
This sounds like the perfect thing for me. I am new to FG as well. I've been watching as many videos as I can, reading what I can, as well as trying out the demo. The timing is perfect and it sounds like we can all learn together. That way no one feels overwhelmed or pressured with trying to keep up with people who have been playing for a long time.

damned
January 11th, 2016, 03:39
Hi Maelwys.

I started using FG getting close to 5 years ago. I played in a one shot by the awesome ronnke and i wanted more!
Im in Aus and I could only play at a very specific day and time and I couldnt find me a game so I did what you are thinking about and started to GM instead.
I was more than a little rusty - across all points - Castles&Crusades was new to me, Fantasy Grounds was new to me and GMing was new to me!

I would suggest to you that it is all very possible - especially if you are up front with your players about where you are at.

In terms of donating a module to a GM - I think that is a very practical solution.

There are two $1 5e modules (well free with a $1 donation) in the store but I would look at Lost Mines of Phandelver at $20.
If you had 4 players each who were willing to tip in a $5 gift certificate that would get you over the line and I dont see anything wrong with the players sharing some of the expense!
They would get at least 4 or 5 sessions of gaming for that small donation :)

Echomikedelta
January 11th, 2016, 04:58
Maelwys,

Count me in. I will be able to make it every session, no obligates.

damned
January 11th, 2016, 05:42
Oh and one more thing I might add to the above post...
Whilst my group has had many changes over time it is a pretty solid group with the average player having been in the group 18 months or more.
Right now Im not the GM. Three of the other players are GMing - one doing 5e, one Star Wars and one Castles & Crusades. And they all can run one shots too when the regular GM for that session is away!
Its a good group :)

Maelwys
January 11th, 2016, 13:35
Thanks everybody for the responses and advice! I considered the soliciting for donations idea already, but wasn't sure if the site would frown upon something that could be seen as a "pay to play" model. I really don't want to seem like I'm charging for my services as a DM or anything like that. That's why I figured I'd start with one of the small cheap adventures first, and use that to establish a group, and then if that group works well together, and they appreciate my DMing style, and they want to make a small contribution to help allow us to continue to adventure together, we can take care of that off-site.

I've created a new campaign in the calendar now: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1784 Go there and sign up. If anybody needs to get together to create your characters, we can arrange to do that any evening this week (around 9:15pm EST), except Friday. Just let me know.

Echomikedelta
January 11th, 2016, 15:29
Maelwys,

I signed up. I am available to create a character any day this week, whatever works for you. Also, like you, I am planning on being a DM after getting some experience with FG. I would be happy to share the responsibility if need be at some point. I have quite a few of the FG modules already.

IrishBouzouki
January 12th, 2016, 00:03
I've created a new campaign in the calendar now: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1784 Go there and sign up.
I signed up, Maelwys. And it looks like in only 12 hours you already have 9 signups!
Like you I've also given thought to GM/DM'ing a short campaign (like LMoP or if that is a little long for a beginner then maybe Falcon Hollow translated to 5e or something) to see how it works out. So it is good to see someone else with the courage to tackle it.

JohnD
January 12th, 2016, 00:10
There you go... a full list and then some. Even if 50% turn out to be never heard from again, you should be able to cull your group of four already.

Ellspeth
January 12th, 2016, 00:16
Heya Irish glad to see you are finding games. You saw Saturday in my game that even someone as new to RPGs (2 years) and GM'ing (third session) as I am it can be done and can be fun. So like so many here encouraged me, go for it.

damned
January 12th, 2016, 00:39
And it sounds like several of the signups are willing to entertain the idea of GMing themselves in the future.
...if you still need encouragement Ill pop over there and give you a push!

Robwriter
January 12th, 2016, 00:41
Get home from work a find that you have a large group already signed up. Nice. I just signed up as well.

JohnD
January 12th, 2016, 01:19
Pro Tip - change your campaign from accept players to not accept players or you'll have 30 people signed up for a 4 person group.

Maelwys
January 12th, 2016, 02:17
Yeah, like I said at the beginning, there definitely seems to be an uneven balance of players to DMs around here right now. But since so many people in this thread have indicated a willingness to DM in the future, hopefully we can start a chain of "pay it forward" here, and get a bunch of new DMs into the game this way. ;-)
I've closed sign ups for now, since I already have twice what I was looking for. I've given first priority to those that had initially posted here or PMd be directly. Sorry for those of you that haven't been accepted yet, but if the first session works out okay, I'll see about trying to find time to run a second night a week for more people (at the same time).

Anyway, I'm online right now for the next hour or so, for anybody that wants to connect and try some character creation stuff. Connection info is on the game calendar (assuming I filled that out properly ;-) ).

Robwriter
January 12th, 2016, 02:19
Wan't meaning to pile on just put my name in the hat in case it turned out there weren't enough people show up for the game. Wasn't thinking about how it would look. I can drop if you like don't want to seem pushy just starting out.

(Edit)I post this and then the screen refreshes and I see your post Maelwys.

IrishBouzouki
January 12th, 2016, 03:11
Yeah sorry for the overload but the way it seems to go I don't know how better to handle looking for a game than applying on the calendar then PM'ing you and posting in your game thread. (Does that really look bad, or just enthusiastic?) It sounds like you have gone thru sort of the same thing.
I was at least fortunate to start looking as FG Daze was getting rolling last weekend so I've managed to pick up a couple sessions and I did find a longer-term campaign as well that I am looking forward to.
Anyhow since it looks like I missed the boat I took myself off your game calendar but thanks for DMing the game. And maybe seeing you do it will give me a kick to try something like it.
Best.

damned
January 12th, 2016, 07:12
IrishBouzouki i think the best way is to sign up in calendar, thread and by PM :)