PDA

View Full Version : Input a player roll

PsychoPif
January 10th, 2016, 15:32
Hello,
I'm currently using FG as an helper for my live game. It work great for when I want to roll the NPC dice, but when I need a save from the NPC, I'd rather have them make the roll with real dices.

Is there a way to manually change a saving throw result so I can still use the automatisation of the software but keep the thrill of a live throw.

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
January 10th, 2016, 15:58
So if I'm understanding you correctly you want to make the NPCs make a saving throw with real dice and then use that result to do whatever you needed to do depending on the result of that save. So, for example, a PC casts fireball on a group of Goblins and you want to make a real dice saving throw for each Goblin and then apply the damage to each Goblin depending on the result?

If this is the question then you can of course do that. Have the PC roll for damage into the chat box without targeting any of the Goblins. You can then drag that result onto all of the Goblins that failed their save and then, using the modifiers dialog to half the damage, drag the damage onto any that passed their save.

The question is why would you want to do that since FG can do it for you much more simply? Unless I'm misunderstanding your question?

PsychoPif
January 10th, 2016, 16:01
I blame my bad English :)

Let's say I have a dragon the breath on my PCs. I could roll the save for the PCs and tell them if they dodge the breath or not, but I'd rather have them make the roll so I can then compare to the DC and tell them the results.

My Players don't have access to FG, only me the DM.

Zacchaeus
January 10th, 2016, 17:46
No problem. It's just the reverse of what I said above. Just substitute player character for Goblin and Dragon for NPC.

I think what you really want to do is manually enter the saving throw into Fantasy Grounds so that things will then proceed automatically. Unfortunately you can't do that. However you can quite effectively do everything as I described above. Just make sure nothing is targeted when you make any of the rolls.

Andraax
January 10th, 2016, 19:24
"/die 13" puts a die roll of 13 into the chat box.

Zacchaeus
January 10th, 2016, 20:01
"/die 13" puts a die roll of 13 into the chat box.

Indeed, but you can't tell Fantasy Grounds that this represents a Dexterity saving throw for example, which is what the OP wants to do.

Seananigans
January 10th, 2016, 20:39
Would it perhaps be possible to change the dragon breath's DC to 1 (or 0, or less?), have players roll saves IRL, then in FG, DM targets the saving characters with the breath save, then adds the non-saving chars to targets, and rolls damage against all?

Such that effectively, any save roll will be successful. Then it's just a matter of managing targets for the rolls.

Trenloe
January 10th, 2016, 21:47
You can always do manual targeting/application of damage effects from the NPC side - if you're tracking the PC HP in FG. In your example, just manually target the characters that failed the save and roll the damage. Then right-click on the damage in the chat window and select half and drag/drop the half damage to those that would take half damage. If you're not tracking PC damage in FG (i.e the players record damage on their paper character sheets) just ask the players to make their saves, compare them with the save DC and roll damage. Verbally tell the players - full damage for those who failed the save or half to those you passed.

From the PC side you can also setup FG to allow manual damage, having dummy PCs and adding the total they rolled with physical dice into the modifier box and use a d0 for the damage "dice". More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24873-Enabling-players-to-roll-their-own-physical-dice

You can also move actions to the hotkeys and manually edit the XML so that it is 0 base, allowing whatever is added in the modifier box to be the final total. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24581-A-question-about-posting-rolls-to-chat&p=218384&viewfull=1#post218384

PsychoPif
January 10th, 2016, 23:17
For now I don't think all this is worth it. I'll just do it manually.

I'll keep my eyes open for a automated solution.

Thanks

gqwebb
January 11th, 2016, 01:12
I like that die command. I am like you PsychoPif using fg at the table to manage the game. I had been doing the math in my head and then typing everything into combat tracker. I am going to try that command. Thanks.

Trenloe
January 11th, 2016, 01:22
/die won't work with most automation, as the FG automation also has an action type built in (attack, damage, save, etc.). That's why the d0 and modifier box solution I mentioned is needed to maintain FG automation. But this isn't possible for all action types as the dice type is built into the FG roll. However, damage is the main action type where you want FG is update data based on player rolls. Attacks, saves, etc. can be manually adjudicated.

gqwebb
January 11th, 2016, 01:57
Yea, I see what ya mean. Gave the /die a try and it flashes at me. :( So, back to the mental math and combat tracker. That has worked so far. Because if I made an extension to select the character making the save/ attack / check. Then select the type, Damage, attack, ... Then move the attack to the assigned Icon or Combat tracker item. Then zzz zzz who's turn was it.... I shall keep popping the numbers in by hand. It was what i did on the old 4e turn tracker anyway. I may try editing my hotkeys XML and see if I like it.

But what i would really like ...
Now picture this a smartphone app that each player uses then they attache the phone over the dice box. The user rolls and the app transmits the roll result to FG and the use clicks a pop up for the die type (Damage, Saving, etc). And at that point lets just fire up NWN or SCL :))

Trenloe
February 6th, 2016, 20:59
A quick proof of concept manual attack roll entry extension is available for the 5E ruleset here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28235-manual-entry-dice-dialog-box-possible&p=252683&viewfull=1#post252683