PDA

View Full Version : Creating / Forging magic scrolls

Topdecker
January 9th, 2016, 05:38
Ok, I've spun my wheels for an hour without figuring it out....

In the "Magic Reference Items" list, I can see "Spell Scroll" but I cannot quite seem to discover how to assign a spell to it (specifically, I wish to make a fireball scroll).

If someone could briefly describe the process, I would be appreciative!

Tim

damned
January 9th, 2016, 08:22
Do you have the Dungeon Masters Guide?

Zacchaeus
January 9th, 2016, 09:31
I'm not exactly sure what you mean here; where are you finding the 'Magic Reference Items' list? Fireball already exists in the game in the Players Handbook so you don't need to 'make' another one. You can drag the Fireball spell into an item you have created or an NPC to attach it to that character or thing. If you have the DMG you can use the 'scroll' found in the equipment to create scrolls in the item Forge.

JMOxx75
January 9th, 2016, 10:12
Are you referring to the Magic Item Forge?

Topdecker
January 9th, 2016, 17:06
I do not (yet) have the DMG. Planning on grabbing that on the 15th. I clobbered myself during the winter sale and if I spend any more, it will be a DC25 check (Charisma) vs Wife.

I am:

1. Opening the ITEMS list.
2. Clicking on FORGE
3. Dropping the item "Spell Scroll" onto the Forge (this from the "DD Basic Rules - DM" list of Magic Reference Items)

I will stop here for a second. The SPELL SCROLL is now on the MAGIC ITEM TEMPLATES side of the Forge. The other side is labeled Equipment. If I turn off the "template" check box, I can put the spell scroll over into the equipment side.

Continuing...

4. I find the Wizard spell FIREBALL and drag it onto the forge. It also goes into the MAGIC ITEMS TEMPLATE side of the chart, but can be dragged over to the Equipment side. The icon changes to a bag or something when this is done.

Oddly, if I remove the scroll, I can have FIREBALL on both sides which does create a magic item. What the f....

5. If I get both the scroll and the fireball onto the forge and in different columns (i.e. I have tried both items in all opposing column combinations) and press FORGE MAGIC ITEM, all I get is "Error, please remove incompatible items."

Anyhow, if I appear to be doing the right thing but probably just need to get the DMG, I am ok with that. I am more focused on knowing how to accomplish tasks in the software than immediate results, I guess.

gqwebb
January 9th, 2016, 17:09
In the top corner of the item list is a small button that says forge. I also missed it for hours.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Item_Sheet

but it may be slightly different based on your theme or font.

you may have to have the dmg and a +10 ring if charisma

Zacchaeus
January 9th, 2016, 17:37
Right, I see where you are getting the 'Magic Reference Items' now; it's called something different in the DMG.

At any rate; you can't do what you are trying to do. The spell scroll is used internally by FG (and especially the DMG) to create treasure tables for scrolls. It can't actually be used to make scrolls. All of the spell scrolls are listed in the full version of the DMG. If you want to make a scroll click on items and create new and drag the spell fireball into the box at the very bottom of the dialog. You can then name your item and give it further descriptive text.

Topdecker
January 9th, 2016, 21:00
Ok, thanks guys!

I will just sort of slow down and wait for the DMG. I've lost a few hours trying to accomplish tasks that evidently are trivial once you have the right tools.

JohnD
January 9th, 2016, 23:19
I do not (yet) have the DMG. Planning on grabbing that on the 15th. I clobbered myself during the winter sale and if I spend any more, it will be a DC25 check (Charisma) vs Wife.
I used to fail these all the time until I realized that no matter what I did, it would be something I shouldn't have done, or done differently. Likewise, if it were something I didn't do, it would be something I should have done.

Basically just understand that you're screwed either way and enjoy your hobby.*

* One caveat; I get hit a lot at home so my approach may or may not be successful or safe to undertake.