PDA

View Full Version : Monsters targeting PCs

Magnimost
January 8th, 2016, 21:40
We can't get monsters to target PCs properly. Targeting itself works, but there's no damage done to the PCs, and not even a mention of the recipient of the attack on chat, or a notice of targeting on PC chat.

PCs targeting and damaging monsters works fine.

Is there a way to enable this, or is this a limitation of the ruleset?

Trenloe
January 8th, 2016, 22:20
It should work fine.

Are the damage dice actually rolling? If you hit with an attack, the damage won't be auto rolled - you'll need to roll it. If you roll damage, you should at least the see dice roll and the damage report in the chat window, even if there is no targeting.

As far as targeting goes (numbers refer to the screenshot below):

Add the NPC to the combat tracker first, then drag the token to the map from the NPC entry in the combat tracker.
When you target, make sure that you see the white line from the NPC token - if you're using a map. If you're not using a map, or even if you are, click the targeting icon in the combat tracker so that you see the targets for each NPC (#1 in the screenshot). Info on token targeting here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting
Make sure the targeting icon (top left of the modifier box under the chat window) is enabled. If it isn't then targeting will be ignored (see #5 in the diagram below) - this was a damage roll with the targeting icon disabled.
Make sure you actually roll damage.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Call%20of%20Cthulhu/Targeting.jpg

damned
January 8th, 2016, 22:55
almost guaranteed that you havent added the actors to the Combat Tracker and from the Combat Tracker to the map....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjtnAhWkaSQ

Magnimost
January 9th, 2016, 09:57
We should be doing everything right, and are doing exactly what the video shows as well.

Attached screenshot showing that a PC is targeted, arrow shows up, as does the reticle next to the modifier. Nevertheless, when I click on attack or damage on the Shambler, it just throws the attack "in the air".

Also, what is the "1.4" icon next to the PC tokens for?

damned
January 9th, 2016, 10:09
Ayup.
I just tested and it seems that CoC isnt using the newer targeting features...
What you are seeing is what i am seeing. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature that hasnt been coded to this ruleset...

the 1.4 means that you have scaled that token up in size to 1.4x its normal size. It can be ignored.

Magnimost
January 9th, 2016, 10:18
Ok, thanks for confirming that we're not complete idiots :P

Trenloe
January 9th, 2016, 10:18
Don't do the attack/damage rolls from the combat tracker by double-clicking - it's this that isn't using targeting correctly. Click the link to the right of the NPC record in the combat tracker to open the NPC record and do the attacks/damage from there. See label #4 in the screenshot in post #2.

You can also drag/drop from the attack entry in the combat tracker - this will roll against where you dropped and will apply damage, but the chat text won't have the NPC name shown.

Magnimost
January 9th, 2016, 10:41
Don't do the attack/damage rolls from the combat tracker by double-clicking - it's this that isn't using targeting correctly. Click the link to the right of the NPC record in the combat tracker to open the NPC record and do the attacks/damage from there. See label #4 in the screenshot in post #2.

That did it, thank you! Attack and damage shown as hitting the PC, and damage automatically deducted from PC HP.

Strange that the other method works for PCs, but not for NPCs.

martel
January 9th, 2016, 22:24
arf i have reponse here

topic (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23483-CoC-7e-Rules-Extension-Release&p=247953&viewfull=1#post247953)

ianmward
January 16th, 2016, 18:55
There is a bug in the CoC 6e ruleset which means that using the NPC attacks from the combat tracker does not engage the targeting.
I have fixed this in the v1.0.8 of the 7e extension and if anyone wants to know how to fix it for 6e, read on...

On line 122 of the script ct/scripts/ct_attack.lua
local rActor = ActorManager.getActor("npc", node.getChild("..."));
should be changed to
local rActor = ActorManager.getActor("npc", node);

ianmward
January 16th, 2016, 18:59
And of course, for damage to work you also need to change line 99:
local rActor = ActorManager.getActor("npc", node.getChild("..."));
to:
local rActor = ActorManager.getActor("npc", node);

Jiminimonka
January 18th, 2016, 12:51
Thanks for the patch Ianmward - I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong.

I want to point out that I am using your CoC 7e patch and the combat tracker problem was still occuring but I patch the files for the regular CoC rules and it fixed it.

edit: I notice you patched the COC 7e .ext to fix this - got that now. Thanks.

Trenloe
February 12th, 2016, 23:41
Fixed in the base CoC ruleset, v3.1.6 released today.