PDA

View Full Version : Will I Have to re-buy the game when the new edition is released?

White_wolf
January 7th, 2016, 22:46
Hey everyone. I just bought Fantasy Grounds and I really like it, but i do have one question. I've heard the developers talk about a new version in the works using the Unity engine. Will I need to buy this new version when it comes out or is the upgrade free if I already own the Fantasy Grounds?

damned
January 7th, 2016, 22:55
In the past Fantasy Grounds have always given free upgrades to the next version to all license holders.
So people who bough FG 10 years ago still get the latest version.

For the next version they are looking like running a Kickstarter or a Pay What You Want and there might be some suggested amounts.
This is not confirmed yet but is the most likely outcome.
The suggestion is that if you are a more recent license holder the suggested amount will be less than if you have had the license for longer.

The new version is an expensive upgrade/rewrite so they are hoping to defray some of their costs.
Im looking forward to it!

LordEntrails
January 7th, 2016, 22:55
(better said by damned)

ddavison
January 8th, 2016, 05:03
Content should all be compatible or able to migrate to the new version. The PWYW upgrade fee is going to be for the base app. We haven't decided on what that will look like, but it will probably have a $5 upgrade option at the low end and then some suggested tiers above that depending on the age of your game and license type. The release will coincide with a Kickstarter project and we should be able to roll out some other additions or content we license depending on how many people we get to go in on the various upgrade tiers.

PopinFRESH
January 8th, 2016, 09:33
Content should all be compatible or able to migrate to the new version. The PWYW upgrade fee is going to be for the base app. We haven't decided on what that will look like, but it will probably have a $5 upgrade option at the low end and then some suggested tiers above that depending on the age of your game and license type. The release will coincide with a Kickstarter project and we should be able to roll out some other additions or content we license depending on how many people we get to go in on the various upgrade tiers.

Hello Doug,

I'm really looking forward to this and while I've never used Kickstarter for anything before I will definitely be creating an account and backing whatever the Unity version of Fantasy Grounds ends up being called. I know you mentioned in announcement of the acquisition of Tabletop Connect thread about some beta access for those backers, I'm curious if you will also have some level of backing for your Kickstarter that will also include access to some closed beta phase to test new features and provide feedback and feature requests? I'm really glad to hear that my assumption regarding purchased content was well placed and you all are working to ensure compatibility with the new product. Lastly is there any guesstimate for when you plan on starting the Kickstarter (Q1 or Q2 2016, H2 2016, 2017)?

Have a great day,
-PopinFRESH

P.S. Happy New Year!

ddavison
January 8th, 2016, 15:34
I expect that we will have some form of closed beta with options available to backers of our new Kickstarter project once it launches. We don't yet have an ETA, but we are busy cranking out new code to try to have something ready to show by Gen Con in August. If we can get it there sooner, we will.

Nylanfs
January 8th, 2016, 16:57
Soon(TM) (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealSoonNow)

Legal Warning: TVTropes link

Steelguard
January 9th, 2016, 01:09
I just got the game over the Holidays, I'm excited to be getting back into the Hobby. This is the first I have heard of a new version being in development, Are there some thinks to other threads discussing this topic?

Thanks!

damned
January 9th, 2016, 01:35
Hi Steelguard.
The platform is in constant development. There are usually somewhere between 4 and 7 new versions a year!
This new platform that is being discussed is a rewrite on to a new game engine that has better multi-platform support, better graphics support, better networking support etc.
It is anticipated that the new game will look very similar and be very similar to the current one but have better stuff driving it under the hood.

There is also all the cool stuff that Carl Pinder from Table Top Connect brings to the business such as 3d mapping and GUI editable character sheets. Hopefully some or all of these options will also make their way into the game engine at some point.
Search for Unity in these forums to find some more info.

Steelguard
January 10th, 2016, 14:40
Hi Steelguard.
The platform is in constant development. There are usually somewhere between 4 and 7 new versions a year!
This new platform that is being discussed is a rewrite on to a new game engine that has better multi-platform support, better graphics support, better networking support etc.
It is anticipated that the new game will look very similar and be very similar to the current one but have better stuff driving it under the hood.

There is also all the cool stuff that Carl Pinder from Table Top Connect brings to the business such as 3d mapping and GUI editable character sheets. Hopefully some or all of these options will also make their way into the game engine at some point.
Search for Unity in these forums to find some more info.

awesome, Thanks!

Wazoodust
March 9th, 2016, 04:32
Any updates on how the Unity build is coming along?
I'm sure you have competition out there for something like this, and an occasional status update would be nice for all of us as I'm sure we're all looking forward to it

Patou
March 9th, 2016, 18:50
Also you have competition hitting the market March 15th as SkirmishVT comes out. I think it would be awesome to see a status update or a sample video for the loyal patrons of FG only accessible to purchased users. Such as a video link from the ''Load your campaign page'' when you start up your FG. I know I might be asking a lot but I am freaking eager to see what you guys are brewing and to get a view or taste.

Is that doable?? Hmmm

llothos
March 9th, 2016, 23:31
One thing that I think sets even just the current version apart is the official 5e support. Yes there is the ogl and this other vtt will be system agnostic and customizable as well but it won't have the same level of content ķ unless you do it yourself. They wouldn't be able to make say the phb available unless they got the license for it.

I look forward to seeing the new fg and some screen shots or videos showing even the work in progress version of a feature would be good.

ddavison
March 9th, 2016, 23:34
We promise to start posting some screenshots or a blog entry once we get past the boring stuff. We are mostly working on the plumbing code and support for backward compatibility. This is probably the most time-consuming aspect, but also the most important to get nailed down completely. Once this stage is complete, we should be able to being moving forward much faster with the cooler new bells and whistles.

Wazoodust
March 10th, 2016, 02:08
One thing that I think sets even just the current version apart is the official 5e support. Yes there is the ogl and this other vtt will be system agnostic and customizable as well but it won't have the same level of content ķ unless you do it yourself. They wouldn't be able to make say the phb available unless they got the license for it.

I look forward to seeing the new fg and some screen shots or videos showing even the work in progress version of a feature would be good.

I have to agree that 5E support and licensing is a big plus for FG, I have no plans on going anywhere else, especially since the worst of the learning curve is behind me. I hadn't heard anyhing about Unity for a while and was just wondering about what was going on. I'd heard of other things making progress and was hoping FG can beat them to the punch on it. I enjoy this system for playing 5E and have played a couple other things since joining, an opportunity I wouldn't have gotten locally. It's a great thing going here and I was just getting curious since there weren't any updates I could find. Thanks for the quick reply to the post Doug. I'll quit bothering you now so you can keep writing code !!

Patou
March 10th, 2016, 02:16
I agree. .. the support is amazing and so is the whole family of users on FG. I'm loyal here and will be for long while still. Personally FG at the moment is in my opinion the top VTT out there. All the rest to come will be like icing on the cake.

Thanks Doug for the update.

Pat☺

gaara6666
March 10th, 2016, 02:52
i agree i have been using this software since 2007. And Dag nab it has it come a LOOOONG way. the only feature I super care about is being able to sort and organize past FG servers into groups so i know which is which lol

Varsuuk
March 10th, 2016, 03:51
Dammit, I am sooooo jealous... I wish I coded things I loved like this. I live in NY and work in Finance District but know squat-all about finance bs :( it's not my thing. I started professionally in '94 in telecom/paging/cellular but from there went to "Big Banks", small Hedge Funds, major data feed provider and 2 exchanges. Thank god I love coding and am very good with C++ (a maintain ability nut too) so my lack of depth in domain hasn't hurt me much. Even had an NYU prof contracted once to feed me crazy (with lots of Greek letters lol) formulas to encode into a Java EE operational risk GUI app... Omg, what fun... Like said, was hired for that Bank as C++ bug guy training me was sole dev on this proj and I as helping him as I learned the place... Only had 6month Java conversion experience and after 9/11 I inherited the proj for 2 years as guy joiNed FBI... Talk about reading & coding ;) stress.

Man I need sleep.... Or should outlaw myself from posting from bed on iPad. But getting back to original point... Imagining you guys coding this is like nearly pr0n for me :( sniff... Okies, gonna read more of the Swift spec before bed, 66% through... I also recommend the Stanford iTunes course for it.

Varsuuk
March 10th, 2016, 03:51
Wazoodust, love your "location" info.

Batman13
March 10th, 2016, 16:18
Doug,
Could you write a post that outlines what is going to be in the unity build, what is expected, and wht is a wish. It would be nice to see this info in one location. I see some info in posts here in there, but nothing is listed in one place.

gaara6666
March 10th, 2016, 20:03
I agree, not saying I would feel cheated if you didnt include a list. But I can understand that as the coding evolves features possible or impossible in unity in conception could switch around and become impossible or viable. You won't know how things interact until they are plugged in and I can respect that. Just godspeed, and good luck.

Howlerr
February 13th, 2018, 00:04
Any update after a few years to this new Unity version yet? It would be really nice to take advantage of not crashing all the time on this version when you try to load modules.

Bidmaron
February 13th, 2018, 00:08
Howlerr, welcome to the forums. There has been no announced date for FGU.

As Trenloe explained elsewhere, you are having this problem because you are trying to load materials that are not player materials. Many, many people use FG without the problems you are seeing. Now, in fairness, the DM has to carefully manage what he shares, but the program is very stable if the DM is careful.

damned
February 13th, 2018, 12:58
Any update after a few years to this new Unity version yet? It would be really nice to take advantage of not crashing all the time on this version when you try to load modules.

Hi Howler most games dont suffer crashes. There are limitations. FGU isnt going to magically make all limitations disappear. Sure the limitations will be different and hopefully we will be able to load up a few more modules. TBF for the most part you dont need 8 modules open and you dont need 18 windows open and you dont need 8,000 tokens loaded in your campaign. Now that you are aware that there are some limitations Im sure you will be able to prioritise what you need and close the rest.

nebbiolo
February 27th, 2018, 23:30
Hi, I'm almost ready to take the plunge with FG but I am starting to wonder (and worry) about the future. From what I can see the Unity version has been in the works for over 3 years. I work in software development and I don't think I've ever seen such a long delay for a new release. Normally when it takes this long it means the project is in serious trouble and usually gets abandoned. Combined to the fact that unless I missed something we haven't seen any posts recently about the features list or any YouTube videos in the last 6 months, I truly worry that the Unity version will never see the light of day. Don't get me wrong, the current version is really good, but if they have devoted most of their development resources for the last few years on a futile project, it doesn't bode well for financial stability and it has let the competition catch up and overtake in certain areas.

So, have I missed something and the new release is coming soon or is it really hidden behind a thick fog of war and may never come to fruition? Thanks for any info or reassurance you can provide.

Trenloe
February 27th, 2018, 23:39
@nebbiolo - your worries are understandable. But, I wouldn't worry too much. Fantasy Grounds is at the most prosperous it has ever been - releasing multiple products every week, regular updates to the current version, RPG industry heavyweights releasing official products, etc., etc..

I'm confident FGU will arrive at some point. When is the big question. But, don't worry - I have no doubts that it will arrive. The recommendation on whether you take the plunge or not is always - get FG for what it has now. It is still worth the investment, very much so - the user base is increasing all the time and the functionality you have now is still pretty amazing, and is still being updated. Get it now, game with it now, and have amazing online RPG experiences...

damned
February 27th, 2018, 23:44
Welcome nebbiolo

These questions have been asked and answered many times.
Fantasy Grounds today is not the same product it was when the Unity project started.
It has many, many more features and considerably more DLC and more system support.
The team has doubled in size in that same period.
So firstly all of the above would suggest that the business is quite the opposite of struggling.

SmiteWorks is a small company - no two ways about it - and that means that you have a very finite set of resources to work with.
So time is split between continuing to develop and enhance the current platform and convert and develop new content with development of a new platform.
SmiteWorks have not made any announcements as to when it will be ready - they are well aware that the project has been more complex and lengthy than they first thought - but continue to advise people to buy the product for what it is today - and that is the best VTT on the market.

Nylanfs
February 27th, 2018, 23:58
And by doubled he means now there are 4 (or is there six now) full time developers.

nebbiolo
February 28th, 2018, 01:40
Thank you all for the prompt replies. Yes I'm sure these questions have been answered before but since I could not find any recent updates on the Unity version I was fearing the worst. If community leaders like you are still convinced the project (and SmiteWorks) is alive and well, then I'll roll with it. I have a week vacation coming up and I fully intend to delve into FG, so you may hear from me again but this time for more technical questions... :D

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2018, 02:02
And by doubled he means now there are 4 (or is there six now) full time developers.
employees I think, not developers :)

Also be aware, SmiteWorks is very ... shy (?) about promoting Unity because they know its easy to promise vaporware. Instead they keep their heads down :)

ddavison
February 28th, 2018, 14:27
Welcome to FG.

The Unity version is under constant development by a mostly 2-person dev team. One of those 2 devs also flips back and forth between Unity and the current architecture and rulesets. Since rulesets will be backward compatible with the Unity version, I still consider that to be work on the new version - it just benefits the current users as well. As has been stated, we are in the best shape financially then we've ever been and we've been around since 2004 - under my leadership since 2009. We do wish we could hit the fast-forward button on the Unity development from time to time but it is steadily moving forward. I believe that we will survive and prosper with or without it, but we expect another huge growth period once we finally finish it up and release it. It's very important for us to reach our full potential.

Nylanfs
February 28th, 2018, 17:17
Isn't computer design just like snapping your fingers and it's done? :eg:

Erin Righ
February 28th, 2018, 19:43
Hey, I know if I were there I'd have it done by now (j/k)

lostsanityreturned
March 6th, 2018, 18:04
Welcome to FG.

The Unity version is under constant development by a mostly 2-person dev team. One of those 2 devs also flips back and forth between Unity and the current architecture and rulesets. Since rulesets will be backward compatible with the Unity version, I still consider that to be work on the new version - it just benefits the current users as well. As has been stated, we are in the best shape financially then we've ever been and we've been around since 2004 - under my leadership since 2009. We do wish we could hit the fast-forward button on the Unity development from time to time but it is steadily moving forward. I believe that we will survive and prosper with or without it, but we expect another huge growth period once we finally finish it up and release it. It's very important for us to reach our full potential.

Please don't forget polish and marketing. Get the community (us) involved in getting all the tutorial content up to scratch and the wikis updated and concise before making the big push.

A great product and a greatly successful product are sometimes only separated by the finest levels of polish :)

Boy do I want the unity shift though. I still need to finish work on the Numenera theme I have been working on though -sighs-

Ghnomey
March 6th, 2018, 20:16
Is there anything we as a community can do to help speed along the development process?

LordEntrails
March 6th, 2018, 20:26
Is there anything we as a community can do to help speed along the development process?
Welcome to the community!

Please take this in the constructive way it is intended and not as a sarcastic remark.

Not really. The best thing we the community can do is give SmiteWorks as much time to work on Unity as possible. This means help each other out with support issues and keep the forums productive and civil. Basically, anything that requires SmiteWorks' time (like answering questions, giving updates, etc) takes away from time they spend on developing FGU.

jrh18
March 15th, 2018, 16:06
Buy more stuff?

SirGraystone
March 15th, 2018, 17:56
Buy more stuff?

Convert those heretic that play with roll20 so that they join us :p

Varsuuk
March 15th, 2018, 18:18
Convert those heretic that play with roll20 so that they join us :p

No, the Heritics are those who use 4 space indents vs 2 space or, I suppose, tabs. and curly brace opening at the end of a line? Stakes are too good for them.

REELxMULLINS
August 16th, 2018, 06:54
Thread necromancer here.
Well I just came across this thread and I was wondering if the new version is out or still being worked on.

dulux-oz
August 16th, 2018, 07:10
Thread necromancer here.
Well I just came across this thread and I was wondering if the new version is out or still being worked on.

Its still being worked on - its called FGU (at least, that's what the Community call it) and if you go looking you'll see a number of threads on these forums about it.

Oh, and Welcome! to the Community :)

damned
August 16th, 2018, 07:12
hello necromancer

The new platform has over 10,000 hours of development clocked on it already.
It is still in progress.
Many of the features that are being developed on the new platform get built into this platform/engine at the same time.
So even though it is not yet out this current engine continues to receive 3 or 4 major updates yearly as well as almost weekly incremental updates on engine/dlc.

REELxMULLINS
August 16th, 2018, 07:37
Ok, I'm just getting into DnD. I've played a total of 2 session. My friends and I where looking to get into a VTT since we all live in different states, from what we can find FG might be the best VTT out there. Unless anyone here has another opinion. We just didn't want to have to pay the large up front cost (we all take turns as DM) and then get hit with a 2nd charge a few month later. I'll be buying an ultimate license and the complete DnD bundle this weekend, is there anything else I should put in the cart? I just want to make sure ALL classes races and playable monsters are there to choose from.

damned
August 16th, 2018, 07:46
hey REELxMULLINS

If FGU came out in 2 months time they would upgrade your license for free.
I dont know (it has not been publicly stated yet) what the cutoffs will be.
Most likely anyone who has had the software for less than 24 (or maybe 30/36) months will get some discount off the upgrade.

All your DLC will upgrade for free regardless.
Only the client will cop the upgrade fee (whatever that turns out to be).

lostsanityreturned
August 16th, 2018, 07:51
Ok, I'm just getting into DnD. I've played a total of 2 session. My friends and I where looking to get into a VTT since we all live in different states, from what we can find FG might be the best VTT out there. Unless anyone here has another opinion. We just didn't want to have to pay the large up front cost (we all take turns as DM) and then get hit with a 2nd charge a few month later. I'll be buying an ultimate license and the complete DnD bundle this weekend, is there anything else I should put in the cart? I just want to make sure ALL classes races and playable monsters are there to choose from.

The complete package will give you nearly everything, you will want the tortle package and the Unearthed Arcana package too though if you really want everything.
It won't be giving you a saving if you don't plan on using the adventure materials though.

Fantasygrounds is hands down the best platform for 5e D&D, I use it for in person games too. There are areas that other VTT platforms do better in, but FG does better in the most areas and in action that is what makes for a faster game experience.

A few things I would recommend though.
- Make yourself a plain battle map image and then put a grid on it in engine. I like to use a paper texture for this purpose and have started theming my blank pages.
- Take the time to learn the effects system, it is a small commitment of time that leads to a LOT of saved time with automation.
- Use the hotbar at the bottom, I make sure to have any link I frequently access or that is buried amongst other pages down there.
- Use the roll all initiative feature and group perception check rolls, players may think they like rolling these things but even the most diehard fans of dice rolling have conceded that the extra ~20minutes (measured in a recording) of time saved was worth it.

Oh and have fun :), I believe there is a "fantasygrounds academy" somewhere where people teach people new to the platform how to use it. (It isn't that daunting though, but it could be good if you aren't confident)

A good example of how automation can help, I have created a "days travels" random generator for traveling through chult in the Tomb of Annihilation adventure, it outputs what is shown in the attachment

REELxMULLINS
August 16th, 2018, 08:30
The complete package will give you nearly everything, you will want the tortle package and the Unearthed Arcana package too though if you really want everything.
It won't be giving you a saving if you don't plan on using the adventure materials though.

Fantasygrounds is hands down the best platform for 5e D&D, I use it for in person games too. There are areas that other VTT platforms do better in, but FG does better in the most areas and in action that is what makes for a faster game experience.

A few things I would recommend though.
- Make yourself a plain battle map image and then put a grid on it in engine. I like to use a paper texture for this purpose and have started theming my blank pages.
- Take the time to learn the effects system, it is a small commitment of time that leads to a LOT of saved time with automation.
- Use the hotbar at the bottom, I make sure to have any link I frequently access or that is buried amongst other pages down there.
- Use the roll all initiative feature and group perception check rolls, players may think they like rolling these things but even the most diehard fans of dice rolling have conceded that the extra ~20minutes (measured in a recording) of time saved was worth it.

Oh and have fun :), I believe there is a "fantasygrounds academy" somewhere where people teach people new to the platform how to use it. (It isn't that daunting though, but it could be good if you aren't confident)

A good example of how automation can help, I have created a "days travels" random generator for traveling through chult in the Tomb of Annihilation adventure, it outputs what is shown in the attachment

Thank you so much. I would love to play through all the different campaigns so we will definitely use the material. You all really have been helpful and great. Thank you.

dulux-oz
August 16th, 2018, 09:00
Let me also add this: If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31369-DOE-Sound-Extension), DOE: Locations (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20794-DOE-Locations-Extension), DOE: Weather (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22142-DOE-Weather-Extension) and DOE: Organisations (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27169-DOE-Organisations-Extension) Extensions (to name a but a few - and a Shameless™ Self Plug).

You may also way to drop into the FG College (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40020-Join-Fantasy-Grounds-College-Learn-Fantasy-Grounds-learn-D-amp-D-and-then-play!); a great place for newcomers to get started.

And of course, there's plenty of Twitch Channels where you can watch games in progress.

Oh, and if everyone is going to GM, then you may be better off each of you purchasing a Standard License - only someone with a Standard License or an Ultimate License can GM.

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

Three of Swords
August 16th, 2018, 13:23

If you all rotate DM duties, you'll all have to purchase a copy. Since that is the case, consider just the Standard edition to save some upfront cost. You don't need Ultimate if your friends all have Standard. The only diff between Standard an Ultimate is the ability to host free players. You can always upgrade later if you find the need to host Free players.

I've heard there are 4-pack bundles on Steam. Look into that to save even more money.

mlbrown
August 16th, 2018, 15:39

It is Fantasy Grounds College, https://www.fantasygroundscollege.net. Most communication is through the discord channel, https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw

Claybor
August 16th, 2018, 16:22
Are we saying here that I just got over $200 worth of stuff for FG2 and I will possibly have to pay more just to be able to use it in the near future?! I am not liking the sound of that at all. Will the current version be kept up to date and be available to those who spent a 'gaming' fortune on it? It sounds like I will be wishing for the new version to fail since I thought I had purchased something I could use for the foreseeable future. It does not seem very ULTIMATE now.

dulux-oz
August 16th, 2018, 16:40
Are we saying here that I just got over $200 worth of stuff for FG2 and I will possibly have to pay more just to be able to use it in the near future?! I am not liking the sound of that at all. Will the current version be kept up to date and be available to those who spent a 'gaming' fortune on it? It sounds like I will be wishing for the new version to fail since I thought I had purchased something I could use for the foreseeable future. It does not seem very ULTIMATE now.

One of the reasons FGU is taking so long to be released is because Smiteworks are working very hard to make sure it'll be backwards compatible - so the answer that Doug has given in the past (& he can correct me if I'm wrong - please :) ) is that no, you haven'r "wasted" your money.

As an example, I bought the Ultimate License in late 2011 and have gotton that many years of gaming (and other) enjoyment out of it since then - that's only cents per hour (if that) :)

Claybor
August 16th, 2018, 16:49
Yes, and if I had purchased in 2011 I might feel the same, but I just purchased a few short weeks ago so my hourly 'rate for use' is a hell of a lot more the pennies per hour. I will do the wait and see thing, and I understand new features need to be funded. I just don't like hearing that I may have to spend more on top of just spending my gaming budget for the next year.

dulux-oz
August 16th, 2018, 17:32
Yes, and if I had purchased in 2011 I might feel the same, but I just purchased a few short weeks ago so my hourly 'rate for use' is a hell of a lot more the pennies per hour.

My point is/was that SmiteWorks has gone out of their way (in the past) to make sure that my "investment" in their software continues to be worthwhile even after 6+ years - and they have made public commitments to continue (in the future) to do the same thing. My example was just that: an example to try to show you and others that they have little to nothing to worry about.

After all, how many other software companies continue to provide support *free of charge* over such a long time-frame?

LordEntrails
August 16th, 2018, 17:49
Yes, and if I had purchased in 2011 I might feel the same, but I just purchased a few short weeks ago so my hourly 'rate for use' is a hell of a lot more the pennies per hour. I will do the wait and see thing, and I understand new features need to be funded. I just don't like hearing that I may have to spend more on top of just spending my gaming budget for the next year.
Deep Breath :)

SW has stated that any upgrade fee will be tiered based on how long you have owned the software. Dulux and I might have to pay the full price since we have owned FG for so long (and even if not, I suspect we would just to support SW). But, people who have only owned it for a short while (perhaps 12 months?) will get the upgrade for free. And after that their will be some sort of proportional upgrade charge (the less time you have owned it, the less the upgrade fee). Be aware that FGU is unlikely to be released this year, and sometime next year is probably more reasonable, so you have months and months of FGC (classic/current) use to.

Though I suspect their will be some sort of overlap with both versions supported, at some time FGC will no longer be updated or supported as SW will only be able to sustain one version long term. (EDIT: Which is a long time off.)

Trenloe
August 16th, 2018, 23:39
Important questions about the Unity release answered here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43254-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-FAQ

Kimco
August 22nd, 2018, 17:46
Thanks for the update.
Glad I stumbled across this thread.

Skillkoil
August 25th, 2018, 15:42
I recently had to struggle with this decision myself. I have been a player on FG for a couple of years but just recently decided to take the GM plunge. Which I am so glad I did. As a player on fantasy grounds I was a standard license user (because I wanted to support SM for a product that I enjoyed). As I started to recruit players I found that I would need to upgrade to Ultimate so that a couple of my players who had demo could connect to my game. I saw the value in a lifetime license but because there have not been any set timelines on what upgrade fee will be charged for what time period and there is no firm release date for FGU. I decided to go with the monthly ultimate subscription. Now this may cost me more money in the long run but I have the option to switch to the lifetime subscription at any time. For example, if they do get a firm release date in the next couple of months and decide on the upgrade cost scale. Then I can make an informed decision on a lifetime license that works for me. If I purchased the ultimate license I wouldn't have any options.

I'm not saying people shouldn't purchase the Ultimate Lifetime License. Just giving you something to consider when making that decision.

Kimco
August 26th, 2018, 00:25
Skillkoil I think I accidentally down voted you, I meant to up vote you. Sorry.
Thank you for your post.

I'm not saying people shouldn't purchase the Ultimate Lifetime License. Just giving you something to consider when making that decision.

Skillkoil
August 26th, 2018, 00:35
Skillkoil I think I accidentally down voted you, I meant to up vote you. Sorry.
Thank you for your post.

No worries man!

Kimco
September 7th, 2018, 19:07
Looking for some help/information.
I bought FG quite sometime ago, haven't used it. It was on sale, so I bought that and a simliar product.
I thought I bought the Ultimate License, but I don't see in my account where it says which license I have.

Now with WATERDEEP: DRAGON HEIST out, I'm considering whether to buy the digital product.
So i'm trying to navigate my costs.
Which license do I have?
What all do I need to buy to run Dragon Heist besides the module ($24.99)?
What will I have to pay in the future when FG is upgraded?

This is not meant to be a negative post in anyway, I am truly trying to decide whether I want to go down the FG path or not.

Skillkoil
September 7th, 2018, 19:12
When you open fantasy grounds it should say in the upper right hand corner if you have Demo/Standard or Ultimate . If you have lost your key you can email [email protected] and get assistance in recovering it. The minimum you need to run Dragon Heist is the Standard license but people with the Demo can't connect to your game. They will need at least Standard as well. For information on what you will have to pay for Fantasy Grounds Unity, you can check out this post https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43254-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-FAQ

I hope this helps. :)

Trenloe
September 7th, 2018, 19:48
I thought I bought the Ultimate License, but I don't see in my account where it says which license I have.
Go to the Store link at the top of this page and select Order History. The order where you bought your license will contain the license key and indicate what license type you bought.

Kimco
September 7th, 2018, 21:11
I don't see anything saying which license I have.

FG Opened

Order History

Zacchaeus
September 7th, 2018, 21:18
You have a standard license, otherwise it would say DEMO or Ultimate after the 3.3.6 on the top right screen. I suspect you may have bought the product from Steam? I assume this on the basis that your licence purchase isn't showing on the Smiteworks store order history.

Trenloe
September 7th, 2018, 21:18
OK, so you didn't buy your license through the FG web store - or, if you did, it was linked to a different FG user name.

Anyway, FG showing v3.3.6 means that you have a standard license.

Bidmaron
September 8th, 2018, 02:04
Looking for some help/information.
I bought FG quite sometime ago, haven't used it. It was on sale, so I bought that and a simliar product.

Now with WATERDEEP: DRAGON HEIST out, I'm considering whether to buy the digital product.
So i'm trying to navigate my costs.
Which license do I have?
Go to the "Store" link. Select order history, and it will show you what you bought. If you bought on Steam, well, someone else will have to help you there....

What all do I need to buy to run Dragon Heist besides the module ($24.99)?
Nothing. All modules are self-contained. However, your players may be able to use the Player's Guide and other materials that provide a little more automation on characters and other items. You might appreciate other products so you can more easily add your own encounters into the mix.

What will I have to pay in the future when FG is upgraded?
That has not yet been announced, but it has been announced there will be a sliding scale based upon how long you have owned the product.

Skillkoil
September 9th, 2018, 17:45
Nothing. All modules are self-contained. However, your players may be able to use the Player's Guide and other materials that provide a little more automation on characters and other items. You might appreciate other products so you can more easily add your own encounters into the mix.

Just to clarify, since you have the standard license you don't need to buy anything else. If you had demo you couldn't save any parcels, encounters, tables, custom npc's etc.. but as Bidmaron stated there are several core modules you could purchase that would make life easier for you as a GM, IE Monster Manual, Player's Handbook or Dungeon Master's Guide. But they aren't specifically needed to run the campaign. Just as a reminder with the standard license your other players will need to have at least the standard license or subscription as well.

Kimco
September 12th, 2018, 15:57
Thank you for all the great replies.
It is really appreciated.

Kimco
May 30th, 2019, 17:13
I'm back! :)
Was going to ask on the KS, but you have to be a backer to post.
Thanks to you guys, we determined that I have the Standard version on Steam.
I'm thinking of going ahead and backing the FGC Standard to FGU Ultimate for $100, but it doesn't call out Steam buyers in the description where it has specifically so in other tier descriptions.

Does anyone know if I can buy that tier to upgrade my steam version?
And I would just use my Steam product code?

JohnD
May 30th, 2019, 17:16
I'm back! :)
Was going to ask on the KS, but you have to be a backer to post.
Thanks to you guys, we determined that I have the Standard version on Steam.
I'm thinking of going ahead and backing the FGC Standard to FGU Ultimate for $100, but it doesn't call out Steam buyers in the description where it has specifically so in other tier descriptions.

Does anyone know if I can buy that tier to upgrade my steam version?
And I would just use my Steam product code?

After the Kickstarter closes you'll receive an email from the backer kit and likely you'll have to provide your FG product key which they will check to make sure you pledged the correct level. Buying on Steam shouldn't make a difference in that - the product keys are still generated by Smiteworks.

Nylanfs
May 30th, 2019, 17:32
Better hurry, only 3 1/2 hours left to back!

ddavison
May 30th, 2019, 17:38
JohnD is correct. You will provide your key from Steam during the survey and fulfillment process.

Kimco
May 30th, 2019, 17:45
Thanks again for the help.
Pledged on the $100.