PDA

View Full Version : Monsters are here there and everywhere?!?

gqwebb
January 7th, 2016, 16:46
So my problem is that each of the modules contains a few more monsters. So I need a monster so I add the MM and look up drake. What no drake in the MM?!? Now what module is it in? fine I shall go one by on looking for it :(( Not my favorite part of Prep. So is there an easy way to merge all the monsters into one index? or Am I missing something? Thoughts?

PS hum.. what about a monster forge? orc shaman flaming skeleton anyone. :)

Zacchaeus
January 7th, 2016, 17:57
There isn't a way to merge all of the monsters into a single index. There's nothing to stop you creating your own module though with any NPCs that you like and want to have in another campaign.

gqwebb
January 7th, 2016, 22:39
Ok then, which is the best approach? An index table of links reference to the module or book. Or a complete rebuild of my own? I would think the reference list would be shareable as the other not so much ;) I don't know just point me in the right direction and I shall go forth and do.

Nylanfs
January 8th, 2016, 02:30
Well a reference list would keep up with errata changes...

ffujita
January 8th, 2016, 11:06
What would be nice is a system like FG uses for Tokens. That way, you could type in the name of the Monster, and it'd search it out among all the open modules.

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2016, 11:52
Ok then, which is the best approach? An index table of links reference to the module or book. Or a complete rebuild of my own? I would think the reference list would be shareable as the other not so much ;) I don't know just point me in the right direction and I shall go forth and do.

You can do both. You can build your own NPC list and link to the original source in the notes. However linking won't work if you don't have all the resources open (thus obviating the need for a list) and the downside of creating your own is that they won't get updated if there are any errors/changes made to the originals.

As to shareability you can share anything you create with your players; but I don't see any reason at all to share a list of Monsters with your players.

gqwebb
January 11th, 2016, 02:10
Ok, Thank you Zacchaeus for your knowledge that you shared a bit late for me. I am glad to confirm that Zacchaeus is 100% correct. Because the process was to open everything at one time and search for a few things under NPC. and everything came up and I dragged them to my new LIST. Did some editing and got errors that it was not available. So if the only time I really Need to do this is for prep then i shall just load up and prep. Still learning the ins and out. Thanks again Zacchaeus.

P.S. Monster forge item skeletal gelatinous cube (not so scary just walk thru)