PDA

View Full Version : 5e Meteor swarm damage only rolls 30 of the 40 dice

Acehigh
January 7th, 2016, 07:18
Was just fooling around with spells and noticed FGs 30 die limit makes the default Metoer swarm damage incorrect (it says 20d6 fire and 20d6 bludgeoning but only 10d6 of bludgeoning is rolled).

Is there a way to up the die limit that I didn't find?

It's not a real issue since you could just split the two different 20d6 damage rolls up but thought I'd mention it in case it was not known.

Zacchaeus
January 7th, 2016, 09:12
I wasn't even aware that there was an upper limit to the number of dice, but you are right there does appear to be a limit. In which case that's hard coded into Fantasy grounds - there's no way for that to be increased unless it's possible with an extension. I assume though that the 30 dice limit is there for a reason and not just arbitrary.

damned
January 7th, 2016, 11:00
30 dice is the limit. it will calculate the results of more than 30 dice but will only display 30 animated dice.
i am sure its for performance reasons...

Zacchaeus
January 7th, 2016, 13:48
30 dice is the limit. it will calculate the results of more than 30 dice but will only display 30 animated dice.
i am sure its for performance reasons...

So are you saying that although only 30 animated dice are being rolled it will still roll the correct damage for the OPs 20d6 fire and 20d6 bludgeoning? It looks to me like it is only calculating 10d6 bludgeoning damage because I can't get a result of more than 60. Is this then a small bugette?

Acehigh
January 7th, 2016, 15:40
An easier test is to try something like /die 200d2, which should give a range of 100-200 but I got it to roll a 43.

It seemed to work correctly with 200d1 there wasn't any animation for dice, but it output 200 as the result for me, if that helps at all.

Zacchaeus
January 7th, 2016, 15:59
An easier test is to try something like /die 200d2, which should give a range of 100-200 but I got it to roll a 43.

It seemed to work correctly with 200d1 there wasn't any animation for dice, but it output 200 as the result for me, if that helps at all.

Yes, it does appear that a maximum of 30 dice are being counted. I'll try to find out if this is a limitation or whether there is a bug somewhere.

Moon Wizard
January 7th, 2016, 17:48
It was a specific number chosen for the original 3D dice implementation. In the Unity version, this will be addressed by increasing the number of dice, as well as handling overflow by generating random numbers. I'll bump the maximum for the next release, but I'm not sure how big of a performance issue this will be (especially laptop/tablet computers without dedicated 3D cards). However, since it's just a limiter, it won't be any different for <=30 dice.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 7th, 2016, 23:26
hmmm... im positive it used to count more than 30 dice but it doesnt.
my bad!

JohnD
January 8th, 2016, 00:09
Just add 35 via the modifier box.