PDA

View Full Version : Encounters -- Non-hostile NPCs

ffujita
January 6th, 2016, 22:05
I've created an encounter, and filled it with NPCs. I'd like those NPCs to start the encounter non-hostile. I don't see any way to do this. I tried adding them to the Combat tracker, changing them to non-hostile, and then locking the encounter. I deleted them from the combat tracker, and then added them again -- and they added as hostile. I did check the wiki, but it didn't seem to have the information I seek.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2016, 22:25
There isn't any way to designate the hostility or otherwise of an encounter at present. NPCs by default are hostile and if you want them to be anything else you have to change them in the CT after they have been placed there.

Ken L
January 7th, 2016, 00:04
Drag their tokens to the map but not the tracker, then they'll effectively be out of combat, but still displayed on the map.

ffujita
January 7th, 2016, 01:28
Thanks for the information. Tokens that aren't in the combat tracker won't work for me (at least in this instance) ... The NPCs *might* depending on the actions of the party (and of other NPCs) join either side. So, I'll just have to add them all hostile, and change the setting in the CT.

Mask_of_winter
January 7th, 2016, 04:28
Is it that you're worried the players might mistaken them for hostiles or you were just looking for a way to skip the step of having to manually change them from hostile to neutral or friendly?

ffujita
January 7th, 2016, 05:04
I'll be able to change them before they see them ... so that's not the problem -- but there's a lot of em, so it'd be easier if I didn't have to pause and switch -- also, there's a chance I could forget -- but I included a note in the story entry for myself.

Mask_of_winter
January 7th, 2016, 05:08
Oh that's right. I keep forgetting you can't group NPCs in the tracker with 5e.
I feel your pain if it's a big encounter bro.

Moon Wizard
January 7th, 2016, 18:17
They get grouped by creature name in the CT, and you can click on the faction marker to change. This is probably the quickest way currently. I believe this one is on the wish list too.

Regards,
JPG