PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds on sale at DriveThruRPG

GunnarGreybeard
January 6th, 2016, 18:52
So, I've been eyeing the SW system for some time and see that DriveThruRPG has the Savage Worlds Deluxe on sale (the PDF) for $9.99. With that and the Savage Worlds Deluxe FG Ruleset also at $9.99, that's less than $20.00 total investment.

That being said, with those prices I'll have a few extra $$ and was wondering if anyone runs Weird Wars Rome stuff and how it is since that is the sourceboook I am leaning towards grabbing (tired of high fantasy, and western games don't really float my boat so to speak).

Trenloe
January 6th, 2016, 19:39
That's pretty much been the price of the PDF for a long time now. I think the advertised RRP of $29.99 is compared to the softback. DTRPG sometimes do this - show the physical product price as the RRP and a "reduced" cost for the PDF - making you think you're getting a bargain.

There does, however, appear to be a softback and PDF bundle available for $9.99 on the Pinnacle website: https://www.peginc.com/store/savage-worlds-deluxe-explorers-edition/?attribute_pa_format=softback-pdf

GunnarGreybeard
January 6th, 2016, 20:03
Wow, thank for the heads up Trenloe. Looks like I can get hard copies and the pdf's of both for only $10.00 more but then there's another $9.00 for shipping.

Trenloe
January 6th, 2016, 20:15
$19 in total for softcopy *and* PDF, including shipping. It's the smaller format (6.5″ x 9″ and 192 pages) but is the same rules content as the 160 page, PDF only (no print) for the same price.

Buy more physical stuff (most come with a free PDF) - makes the shipping per item less! ;)

Mask_of_winter
January 7th, 2016, 01:05
Yeah, a $10 book has been part of their marketing strategy since 2008. You can play pretty much anything with just the Deluxe book. That's how they got me.

Weird Wars Rome is a really good setting if you like military campaigns. Author is a history nut and it really shows.
What people don't often realize though is that Savage Worlds is much more than Pinnacle Entertainment. Yes they set high standards of quality but some of the licensee settings are amazing. Go to DTRPG and run search by system, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Some of the highlights: Achtung! Cthlulu (WW2 meets Cthulhu), Interface Zero 2.0 (Cyberpunk), Beasts & Barbarians (Sword & Sorcery), Accursed (like Ravenloft but you play the monsters), Mars (John Carter anyone?), Necropolis 2350 (like Warhammer 40k), Streets of Bedlam (like Sin City), Tropicana (Miami Vice), Strike Force 7 (G.I. Joe), Totems of Dead (pre-columbian sword and sorcery), Ultima Forsan (Leonardo Da Vinci: zombie hunter), Agents of Oblivion (spy/horror), Broken Earth (post-apoc). These are only a selected few from all the licensees.

Most of these - including PEG's products - offer samples in the form of One Sheets (An adventure that fits on one sheet of paper) and pre-gen characters so with the Deluxe core book you can try out one of the dozens of settings for it. Long term campaigns are supported with Plot Point Campaigns. They are non-linear campaigns where the GMs can easily introduce his own stuff.
And best of all, your own setting. There's a TV show you think would make a great campaign. With very little prep, you can seamlessly and effectively make it a reality. Check out Hendel's Savage Fallout (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27556-FG-Daze-Savage-Fallout-A-Trivial-Errand) game for FGDaze this weekend.

kylania
February 13th, 2016, 16:53
Interface Zero 2.0 PDF is $8 today: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/124685/Interface-Zero-20-Full-Metal-Cyberpunk?src=DotDem&