PDA

View Full Version : Maps of a gnoll infested valley forest

pacio49
January 6th, 2016, 13:13
These are some of the maps I've developed using Campaign Cartographer for one of the modules in a campaign I run. We were discussing the length of the module prep time in another thread... these are the maps for the module. Shared here as Creative Commons license: Non-commercial use only, with attribution to Adam Pacio (c) 2015-2016.

These aren't all of them. I'll post more as the group wants them. There are 5 separate "Encampment master maps" and two sets of caverns/catacombs in the module. These first maps are literally 'first maps' in Campaign Cartographer 3+ using the Dungeons of Schley symbol addon. They get better within the module as I learned the interface and my preferences more.

The 'buildings' on the map are meant to be tents, some more elaborate than others, in which the gnolls are camped. I used 'door' symbols to show the main entry area, but as the walls are canvas and hides, and tarps, it's not as fixed as the map makes it look.

Enjoy. More to come in this thread.

pacio49
January 6th, 2016, 13:16
More maps. Finishing out Iyna the Gnoll Pack Lady's encampment, plus a "Generic Forest encounter" battlemap. Creative commons licensed, non-commercial, with attribution to Adam Pacio (c) 2015-2016.

Enjoy!

pacio49
January 6th, 2016, 13:22
More maps. Shared under a Creative Commons license, non-commercial with attribution to Adam Pacio (c)2015-2016.

Second gnoll encampment in the woods. Different encampment patterns, different tents. Enjoy!

pacio49
January 6th, 2016, 13:26
More maps for Yeepcha's region. Shared under Creative Commons license, non-commercial use, attribution to Adam Pacio (c)2015-2016.

Enjoy!

GunnarGreybeard
January 6th, 2016, 13:29
Nice work! Really love that generic forest map.

pacio49
January 6th, 2016, 13:30
More later on tonight. I'll post the Druidic Catacombs, a gnoll encampment with a stream in it in the woods, a gnoll encampment including a stone henge battlemap, and a nifty elemental vault inside the so-called "Caverns of Mechanus" (named before I realized Mechanus would use straight lines, not rough caverns. The name stuck, but the map is quite orderly). I'm just running out of time before work today is all. Hope you like them.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2016, 13:58
Nice maps. It might be worth considering rolling them all up into a module for easier download.

You may also want to consider including a guide square so that it is easier to position the grid within Fantasy Grounds.

Szabtom
January 6th, 2016, 16:53
Cool, thanks, keep them coming! :)

pacio49
January 6th, 2016, 18:13
Nice maps. It might be worth considering rolling them all up into a module for easier download.

You may also want to consider including a guide square so that it is easier to position the grid within Fantasy Grounds.

Right. Gotcha. Thanks for the tips. I never thought of exporting just maps to a module for sharing purposes, but now that you say it, it makes total sense.

I tend to be a bit loose when it comes to scale in my own mind, since zooming in and out on maps in FG gives things a bit more fluidity. Usually what I do to set my grids is find a door graphic on one of the tents and build the grid square to fit the door, knowing that it's then mapping to the original scale of door symbol=roughly 5' (in CC). But I can totally see where adding finishing touches like guide squares makes more sense for battlemap slices. I'll add that to my repertoire moving forward.

Glad folks like them! Happy to share so long as someone's getting use out of them.

Andraax
January 6th, 2016, 19:07
But I can totally see where adding finishing touches like guide squares makes more sense for battlemap slices.

Don't grid the whole map, just make one square near a corner somewhere.

pacio49
January 6th, 2016, 19:36
Don't grid the whole map, just make one square near a corner somewhere.

Understood. :) I've already been driven nuts trying to match grids that come pre-placed on maps available online, which is why I don't design my maps with grids on them as a default choice.

damned
January 7th, 2016, 11:20
holy crap - thats a lot of gnolls!

pacio49
January 7th, 2016, 14:37
Here's another Gnoll encampment. (I'll release a module with all of these maps together at the end for easier download, or to allow picking and choosing between them)

Yes, damned, lots of gnolls. LOL! Opportunity for my crew to either fight or sneak their way through. The theme of the adventure is that a Fang of Yeenoghu has arisen, uniting 5 disparate Pack Lords and their crews into a single army, and is preparing to invade the PCs homes over the mountain pass. The gnolls first seek a powerful multi-part ancient artifact which can raise a "tame" Pit Fiend with which to rain burning destruction down on the countryside as they go. The PCs will know early on in the adventure that if you cut off the power figures of the gnolls then the tribes will scatter and the invasion will be thwarted. And they will be sent trying to get the artifact pieces for themselves to destroy them permanently with the aid of a powerful NPC wizard. They can opt to go full clear, fighting each step of the way, or ninja assassination strikes using stealth to get to the Pack Lords and take them out. Or some combination of the two which I'm not seeing yet, but will react to when they raise it. (Tricksy players.)

This band, Moskol's crew, is camped around the entrance to the Caverns of Mechanus where lies one of the artifacts under heavy guard by Modrons gone mad with faulty machinery components, which will be posted in the next post(s).

Anyway, more maps... Creative Commons licensed, non-commercial use, attribution to Adam Pacio (c) 2015-2016. Enjoy!

pacio49
January 7th, 2016, 14:43
The whole complex is originally intended to be a magical/clockwork construct with racing arcs of magical currents flowing through the walls and floors to preserve an inner magical vault structure guarded by elementals. Faint graphics on the floors are meant to be access panels for the Modrons who maintain the place (or large magical condensers in the corner chambers), and are flavor, nothing more. But feel free to use how you see fit, of course. Just providing context for the map.

Creative Commons licensed, non-commercial use, attribution to Adam Pacio (c) 2015-2016. Enjoy!

pacio49
January 7th, 2016, 14:45
Creative Commons licensed, non-commercial use, attribution to Adam Pacio (c) 2015-2016. Enjoy!

pacio49
January 7th, 2016, 14:47

pacio49
January 7th, 2016, 14:51
The Fang himself is directing this encampment, which is engaged in exploration and excavation of an old set of Druidic Catacombs located beneath a stone henge in the middle of the woods.

pacio49
January 7th, 2016, 14:55

pacio49
January 7th, 2016, 15:00
The druid catacombs where one-third of the artifact the gnolls and party seek is located.

The route to the center chamber where the artifact is hidden is blocked by a protective energy barrier. The key to pass the barrier is in 8 pieces, one on each altar in each burial chamber. FWIW.

pacio49
January 7th, 2016, 15:03

pacio49
January 7th, 2016, 15:07
I'll leave off the last two gnoll encampments and put them in the module tonight for those who want all the maps for later use and abuse. :)

JohnD
January 7th, 2016, 18:25
I like the cut of your gib. Thanks for sharing... these can be used for a lot of different situations.

Fenris4024
January 7th, 2016, 20:53
Love 'em! I've recently started up with CC3+ myself, and been going a little crazy working on some maps as well, but you sir (or Madam?) put me to shame on the amount you've got, that's for certain! Might have to steal some of these!

For the "grid scale Square" I found that the easiest way to handle it is take a square brush, type in your scale size (I do mine 100px per square, personally) and just dob a square onto the map somewhere using some photo manipulation software (GIMP, Photoshop, etc).