PDA

View Full Version : Saving minimized windows?

JRedmond-pending deletion
January 6th, 2016, 02:43
I mostly use FG for a GM aid. I'd like to have a bunch of tables minimized and stay that way when I close and reopen my campaign. Is that possible?

Mask_of_winter
January 6th, 2016, 02:46
Not really but you can drop them in your hotkey bar at the bottom instead.

Hector Trelane
January 6th, 2016, 03:08
Related question: can you get your windows to stay where you put them (same position on desk top after I close and then reopen) from one session to the next? In my experience, the performance on this front is inconsistent across rulesets and builds.

Perhaps this would make a good feature request if not logged already?

JRedmond-pending deletion
January 6th, 2016, 03:10
I'm basically asking the same thing, there should be some sort of lock button. Maybe they'll add something like that in the future.

Related question: can you get your windows to stay where you put them (same position on desk top after I close and then reopen) from one session to the next? In my experience, the performance on this front is inconsistent across rulesets and builds.

Hector Trelane
January 6th, 2016, 04:56
Aha. Indeed, we can vote for this change here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40888

Trenloe
January 6th, 2016, 05:21
Aha. Indeed, we can vote for this change here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40888
That has actually already been implemented. This is base Fantasy Grounds functionality and not related to the ruleset. For the GM, within the campaign directory there will be a file called windowstate.xml - this records the position and size of any previously opened windows. For the player this will be stored in their campaign cache and so not viewable.

The inconsistency you might be seeing is if you don't have the FG window the same size as previously then the location of the window won't be in the same place as it measures it from the top left of the screen, so if you originally positioned the window to the right of a large FG desktop and then later open the window with a smaller FG desktop then the window will be further to the right of the desktop than before.

Hector Trelane
January 6th, 2016, 05:30
The inconsistency you might be seeing is if you don't have the FG window the same size as previously then the location of the window won't be in the same place as it measures it from the top left of the screen, so if you originally positioned the window to the right of a large FG desktop and then later open the window with a smaller FG desktop then the window will be further to the right of the desktop than before.

I've seen this happen and realized I need to open the FG desktop the same size every time (maximized). However, I am talking about inconsistencies that are more than this. While I have not taken consistent and detailed notes, there are some rulesets (Fate Core based on CoreRPG, for example) in which every time I open the character window (where players can select PCs) it shows up centered in the desktop. I drag it where I want it, close, then reopen... and the daggum thing is back center. However if memory serves I think this window stays where I put it in Savage Worlds. Pretty sure I've seen this with other windows, too.

Anal retentive, perhaps, but also helps for efficient navigating, esp. when GMing, if I can set up the same set up each time...

Trenloe
January 6th, 2016, 05:49
This is base Fantasy Grounds functionality and not related to the ruleset.
Sorry, I take this back (partly).

Saving of window position is base FG functionality. However, it can be overridden by a ruleset using the <nosave /> option in the windowclass <placement> section. (I can't find any documentation on this option).

Looking at CoreRPG there are 4 windows that are tagged with nosave: character selection, pregen character selection, module export and the campaign options window. These are more than likely a conscious design decision to make sure these windows are always available in the center of the desktop.

All other windows will save their positions. For example, here is a snapshot of the windowstate.xml file from a 5E campaign:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<windowstate version="3.1">
<window data="" class="library" pos="160,-3,860,547" />
<window data="" class="moduleselection" pos="122,32,1069,734" />
<window data="" class="portraitselection" pos="511,316,971,616" />
<window data="" class="tokenbag" pos="538,542,938,942" />
<window data="battle" class="battlelist" pos="684,206,984,606" />
<window data="battle.bat_p0_08captivecultist@DD The Rise of Tiamat" class="battle" pos="489,247,839,647" />
<window data="battle.bat_p1_04_03_kennel@DD Lost Mine of Phandelver" class="battle" pos="489,247,839,647" />
<window data="battle.bat_p1_04_05_overpass@DD Lost Mine of Phandelver" class="battle" pos="444,226,794,626" />
<window data="battle.bat_p2_05_6icehuntersinfishingboats@DD The Rise of Tiamat" class="battle" pos="444,226,794,626" />
<window data="battle.bat_p3_08_14_king_squarters@DD Lost Mine of Phandelver" class="battle" pos="594,341,944,741" />
<window data="battle.id-00001" class="battle" pos="27,74,377,474" />
<window data="charsheet.id-00001" class="charsheet" pos="757,-8,1282,592" />
<window data="charsheet.id-00001.weaponlist.id-00001" class="char_weapon_editor" pos="397,413,747,763" />
<window data="charsheet.id-00003" class="charsheet" pos="470,157,995,757" />
<window data="charsheet.id-00004" class="charsheet" pos="470,157,995,757" />
<window data="charsheet.id-00005" class="charsheet" pos="470,157,995,757" />
<window data="charsheet.id-00006" class="charsheet" pos="470,157,995,757" />
<window data="charsheet.id-00007" class="charsheet" pos="470,157,995,757" />
<window data="combattracker" class="combattracker_host" pos="70,55,743,930" />
<window data="combattracker.list.id-00003" class="npc" pos="441,170,901,720" />
<window data="effects" class="effectlist" pos="424,257,944,657" />
<window data="encounter" class="encounterlist" pos="621,315,921,715" />
<window data="encounter.enc_p0_02credits@DD Lost Mine of Phandelver" class="encounter" pos="312,59,712,709" />
<window data="encounter.enc_p3_08_14_king_squarters@DD Lost Mine of Phandelver" class="encounter" pos="569,216,969,866" />
<window data="image" class="imagelist" pos="568,130,1320,778" />
<window data="image.id-00001" class="imagewindow" pos="717,375,1828,1161" />
<window data="image.id-00008@FG Battle Maps" class="imagewindow" pos="352,45,1473,947" />
<window data="image.id-00034@FG Battle Maps" class="imagewindow" pos="171,-9,1206,1065" />
<window data="image.img_arauthatorlairplayer_jpg@DD The Rise of Tiamat" class="imagewindow" pos="55,29,1374,1077" />
<window data="image.img_cragmawcastle_player__jpg@DD Lost Mine of Phandelver" class="imagewindow" pos="293,122,1453,1014" />
<window data="image.img_cragmawhideout_player__jpg@DD Lost Mine of Phandelver" class="imagewindow" pos="98,71,1196,893" />
<window data="image.img_hobgoblin_jpg@DD Lost Mine of Phandelver" class="imagewindow" pos="-5,7,619,772" />
<window data="image.img_maze_carnivorous_garden_jpg@DD The Rise of Tiamat" class="imagewindow" pos="324,294,1374,787" />
<window data="image.img_maze_gorgon_maze_jpg@DD The Rise of Tiamat" class="imagewindow" pos="273,0,1425,1081" />
<window data="image.img_phandalin_player__jpg@DD Lost Mine of Phandelver" class="imagewindow" pos="330,152,1368,929" />
<window data="image.img_redbrandhideout_player__jpg@DD Lost Mine of Phandelver" class="imagewindow" pos="300,129,1398,951" />

Hector Trelane
January 6th, 2016, 06:37
Very helpful, Trenloe, thanks. Personally I'd love to see the the <nosave /> option removed

Trenloe
January 6th, 2016, 16:57
Personally I'd love to see the the <nosave /> option removed
As mentioned above, this appears to be a specific design decision. Probably to avoid issue with missing/hidden character selection windows on small desktops.

You could write yourself an extension to remove it. :)

Hector Trelane
January 6th, 2016, 17:42
You could write yourself an extension to remove it. :)

As a non-coder, I'm aware that my feedback is that of a kid complaining about mom's cooking while doing nothing himself to help.

If you think common sense plus some trial and error might do this (relatively simple) trick, I'll give it a go.

To get me started, is this where I want to look?: Jeff's Excruciatingly Simple Extension Tutorial -- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25234-Jeff-s-Excruciatingly-Simple-Extension-Tutorial

"Excruciatingly Simple" sounds promising...

Trenloe
January 6th, 2016, 18:45
Try this (attached below).

It's just for the GM character selection window. Install in your <Fg App Data>\extensions directory, restart FG and select the "Charselect Window Save Position" extension in your campaign of choice.

Note: this will only work for rulesets that use the charselect_host windowclass for the GM character selection window - all CoreRPG related rulesets, perhaps more.

Hector Trelane
January 7th, 2016, 02:17
Try this (attached below).

It works! Muy execellente! I tested it for both Fate Core and for Savage Worlds (the most current builds for each).

Hector owes Trenloe a boon...

TMO
January 7th, 2016, 05:20

If I could go one step further...it would be for my windows to remember that they were actually open and then automatically open when I launch the campaign again. I love software that allows itself to remember where I left off. So much more productive.

Now...watch and see Trenloe point me to some link or tutorial where this is already done, considered, or suggested. He's good like that. :)

Trenloe
January 7th, 2016, 06:44
Now...watch and see Trenloe point me to some link or tutorial where this is already done, considered, or suggested. He's good like that. :)
Not this time, I've failed you I'm afraid... :-o

Basically, because there isn't such a thing. The base windowstate.xml remembers window location and size, but not whether it was open or not when FG closed down. This is all done by FG in the background (unless the nosave option is used) and so can't be changed via an extension. It would require a chance to the base FG application. I see a wishlist entry coming on... :)

Nylanfs
January 7th, 2016, 14:02
This would also have to be remembered per campaign, actually that might be best if saved to the campaign database instead of the global FG options.

TMO
January 7th, 2016, 15:04
This would also have to be remembered per campaign, actually that might be best if saved to the campaign database instead of the global FG options.

I completely agree. I have two machines that I switch back and forth to with FG. So I end up copying my Data folder back and forth as a result (this is also a part of my backup strategy.) Therefore, if this were a part of the campaign database then I have even more assurance that my session will be restored regardless of which machine I am on. I realize this could have some complications if one machine had different video specs than the other, but that would be my problem to worry about.

Trenloe
January 7th, 2016, 15:12
There's very little that isn't stored in campaign specific settings. I'm struggling to think what could be classed as global settings - basically the stuff that appears in the settings window from the main start screen, licence info etc.. any other changeable settings are stored on a per campaign basis.