PDA

View Full Version : Two questions before buying

Chazz
January 5th, 2016, 20:21
I've been looking into this, but I've got two BIG questions that are hounding me before plunking down the coin to buy, and as it would mostly be a 4e campaign, I figured I'd post here! :D

1) The demo seems kind of... Spare, with 4e info. Would the 4e Item Parser stickied in this forum also pull in things like class or monster info also found in the compendium, or is it ONLY literal items? If so, are there other ways to pull that info in that I'm just missing?

2) We have two alternating GMs; would EACH potential GM be required to purchase the Ultimate License and have people log in, or can one person with the UL "hand off" GM actions to another person that logs into them?

Moon Wizard
January 5th, 2016, 21:16
Welcome to the forums.

To answer your questions:

1) Fantasy Grounds does not have a license to carry the 4E material. (Only 5E material has been licensed.) There are a couple tools in the forum build by some of the users that connect to the 4E DDI service to download items and more from the compendium (with a valid DDI subscription). However, I have not used those personally, so I'm not sure if they still work or what the status of the 4E DDI service is.

2) Each GM would need to have their own license, so you have a few different options. The best option depends on how many people will be GMing.
* Have whomever is currently GMing get the ultimate license subscription ($10/mo); then when you switch GMs, have the previous GM cancel their subscription and the new GM start one.
* Everyone gets a Standard Fantasy Grounds license ($40 or $4/mo), and then anyone in the group can GM.
* Buy an ultimate license for each person who will GM ($150)

Regards,
JPG

Chazz
January 6th, 2016, 01:16
Thanks, I'll keep taking a look around

damned
January 6th, 2016, 09:53
If buying Full Licenses Steam has them in a bundle 4 for the price of 3 but I would try the $10 sub first - you even get an extra month free I believe on your first sub so you get two months really to try it out. The D&D license that Smitewoks has covers 5e but not any of the earlier editions.

Mellock
January 6th, 2016, 16:01
Regarding DnD 4e: The DDI from WOTC is no longer available for new subscribers. People who already had a subscription can still access it.
https://ddi.wizards.com/

Ramius613
January 20th, 2016, 20:43
Which I found out no longer requires a subscription to use it.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2016, 22:46
Indeed it doesn't, you just need an account - no payment required. Nice find - thanks for sharing. :)

johntjamesonjr
January 22nd, 2016, 00:45
unfortuately.. the account i had is no longer being accepted. and when i go to subscribe.. it says error 404. thats ok i'll do it my way.. thank you for sending me the link.

Ramius613
January 22nd, 2016, 20:45
If you click on the accounts link at the ddi sign in page it should take you to your WotC account page, which in turn you can update and/or get to your ddi account management screen.

You do still need a subscription to use the compendium and tools. The galleries and dungeon and Dragon magazines are available for download without one.

Mellock
January 22nd, 2016, 22:01
Hmm, curious if they'll keep charging me for it...

Griogre
January 23rd, 2016, 01:37
The 4E parser needs access to the compendium to work.

damned
January 23rd, 2016, 02:33
I registered a new account yesterday and it gives me full access to the Compendium from what I can see.
The 4e parser appears to be running just fine... its hard to know fr sure though as it apparently takes many hours to run...

Vackipleur
January 23rd, 2016, 22:03
I registered a new account yesterday and it gives me full access to the Compendium from what I can see.

And can you open an item inside the database? Because when I want to click on a link, the website asks for a looped authentication... So I only can download Dragon & Dungeon Magazines (and the character sheets)...

I meet an error with the Character Builder and the Adventure Tools:

System.ServiceModel.FaultException: The creator of this fault did not specify a Reason.

damned
January 24th, 2016, 02:14
Great gnashing of teeth ensues - I only went as far as searching the compendium and seeing that it brought up loads of results. I didnt try accessing any of those individual records. You do indeed get sent back for another login for teh compendium. You can access character builder and monster builder and archived issues of Dragon and Dungeon but the Compendium's actual meat.... is locked.

Chazz
January 29th, 2016, 01:42
Indeed, it appears that having made the switch from the email login to the username login has ker-borked the parser...

damned
January 29th, 2016, 11:44
Hi Chazz I believe if you do actually have an active DDI subscription and you login via the browser and leave the browser open in the background that the parser will still work. But maybe its better if I shut up on this thread as I cant actually verify that as I no longer have a subscription of my own... :)

Nibelung
February 5th, 2016, 23:55

The Compendium never required a subscription to search the database. The subscription is only necessary if you want to actually click and read the descriptions. Other people can get the source, and read directly there (Unless it is listed as "multiple sources", then you have no luck.)