PDA

View Full Version : Help Request: trying to connect a Mac and a PC version of FG on local network.

tysonxy
January 5th, 2016, 09:08
So what I am trying to do is have my MacBook Air run FG as the DM. Then I have a PC running Win10 connected to my TV that I want to only use to display our map for the players to look at.

I have a single license activated on my Mac(running wine). I have the correct port open and my connection test succeeds. In the Internal Address Information however, nothing will appear.

On my PC I am running a demo version of FG and I am trying to connect to the Mac. I cannot connect however. Because my Mac is not giving an internal address I have tried entering the actual internal IP from my router, I have tried using the external address and have tried the Alias. None of these have worked.

Also, the connection test on my PC fails. I believe the reason for this is because my router won't open a port for my entire network. It will only open a port for a single internal device/IP.

I hope that all makes sense. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these two to connect?

damned
January 5th, 2016, 12:07
hola tysonxy

1. i believe that the wineskined/winebottled FG install wont show an IP address. please try connecting to the local ip address of the macbook.
2. your pc doesnt need to get a successful connection test - not the connection test is only on the Create/Load Campaign windows and not on the Join Game window
3. you mac also doesnt need a successful connection test if you are only connecting from the LAN - if you are connecting from the LAN you only connect to the internal ip address
4. this wont work unless the GM computer has an Ultimate license. if you connect the windows 10 computer using a demo client it will switch the campaign to demo mode and no changes will be saved...
5. if you just need to display a map you should use the https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17399-Guide-How-to-install-FGII-on-OS-X-using-WineSkin-(Recommended) instructions to install a second instance of FG and connect to localhost (lowercase no spaces) and put that on the TV screen....

Trenloe
January 5th, 2016, 12:38
4. this wont work unless the GM computer has an Ultimate license. if you connect the windows 10 computer using a demo client it will switch the campaign to demo mode and no changes will be saved...
This is only partly true. If the GM is running a normal (Full/GM) FG licence then it will switch to demo mode when one player connects with a free licence. *But* the campaign data will be saved (this is only for paid full/Gm licences). Only a single player can connect in this mode, if another free tries to join they will be blocked and if a full or ultimate licence connects the campaign will switch to normal mode and the free licence player will be kicked out.