PDA

View Full Version : Quick Hello and Request for Info

db2000
January 3rd, 2016, 22:12
Hi Folks,

I've just joined the party for 2016 having shelled out for the ultimate licence now whilst the funds were available. Hoping to relive some of my 80's experiences of playing and dm'ing games but for now need to learn the system and maybe jump into some one shot games for exposure.

Couple of questions though if anyone can help -

1. How do I go about setting up webcam as a player and also for players I eventually DM for. Is there a good tutorial? Doesn't look like FG supports this although I heard rumours of version X being released in 2016 that hosts a whole load of great features. Which third party programmes do people use and are they straight forward to link up to FG.

2. What are the first plugins I need to grab? I'm looking to add some board games and understand the best way is via the layers plugin but where is this and is it free? Are there any generic must have store options I need to consider purchasing. No real rule set just now but I used to play AD&D back in the 80's and may look at Pathfinder.

3. The Infinity tabletop miniatures game has gone RPG after a successful Kickstarter, anyone here looking to get into this or know of any planned relationship with FG for store items?

Many thanks and hope to get to know the community over the coming weeks/months.

Happy New Year!!

damned
January 4th, 2016, 00:20
Welcome db2000

1. FG has no Voice or Video client. Players use their own platform of choice including Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Mumble, Skype, Hangouts and even Roll20. The latter 3 all support video. There are others Im sure. There is a community teamspeak server available (ts.fg-con.com / Dungeoneers) which you are totally free to use for all your FG gaming.
2. There are a lot of rulesets on sale now - the sale finishes today. Dont go overboard. Grab one or two systems only and start there. 5e is the big kahuna. It has the best range of products and features - and is the most expensive. If you are an old school gamer you might try Castles & Crusades (under $10) for an awesome old school D&D feel, or you might try 3.5/Pathfinder (included) if you want something in between. Other great systems to look at while the sale is on are Call of Cthulhu and Savage Worlds. Savage Worlds has a lot of great settings available to it.

Check out the one shots in my signature for a quick game this coming Saturday.

Trenloe
January 4th, 2016, 04:48
Layers extension available for download here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29

Make sure you read the "things to note" list as there are a number of restrictions/gotchas.

dulux-oz
January 4th, 2016, 06:12
HI db2000, and Welcome!

If you haven't done so already then I strongly recommend having a look at the excellent Tutorial Videos available form the FG Wiki. Damned's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below). Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG form the foundation of just about all of the RPGs we play with FG, and so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with FG.

As far as Extensions (plug-ins) and other freebies check out this Thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20320-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-Extensions), plus the FG Wiki.

(On a side note, you saw David's YouTube FG vs Roll20 video, didn't you? :) )

And feel free to ask lots of questions - we're a pretty friendly bunch around here. :)

Cheers

db2000
January 4th, 2016, 16:30
Many thanks Damned and I will check your tutorials out. Much appreciated ;0)

db2000
January 4th, 2016, 16:31
Many thanks Trenloe, hopefully there are some videos on this too but I'll check it all out thanks. ;0)

db2000
January 4th, 2016, 16:34
Many thanks Dulux-oz, yes I did see David's video (very informative). I've also seen the first 3 of yours :) Much appreciate the input and I'll take a look at the thread ;0)

db2000
January 4th, 2016, 16:38
Is there a quick way to check my DLC's have been applied to my account? I went ahead and purchased the DM, Players and Monster complete Packs for 5E. I didn't receive a request to input any serials or anything and to be honest everything just looks the same when I log in. I don't doubt the items are there but how do I tell purchased content from standard content? Many thanks.

Trenloe
January 4th, 2016, 16:51
Is there a quick way to check my DLC's have been applied to my account?
At the bottom of each product page there will be a reference code - 5E Wizards of the Coast products begin with WOTC... for example, the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is WOTC5ESCAG.

Start FG and on the main startup page click the "Settings" button. In the "Fantasy Grounds Store Purchases" section click the "Update" button and enter your FG website username and password, press "login" and this will check your purchases on the FG store and populate the purchases section with the codes of the products you own. Compare these with the product codes on the store pages.

Finally, run an update, this will use your store username entered in the settings to download/update the products you own. In future this should be automatic - when you purchase a product the "Update available" button on the main page will show red and you should run an update to download the new product. Note: the product purchases list won't automatically update with new purchases, press the "Update" button in that section to refresh the list.

db2000
January 4th, 2016, 17:59
Thanks Trenloe.

I can see the Dungeon masters guide, monster manual and player handbook but the core class pack doesn't show in the library modules. Also in Steam under DLC I can see all items show as installed today. Lastly when I follow the instructions and put my username and password in settings I get a Login Failed error. I know I am using the correct details?

Thanks for any advice/input.

db2000
January 4th, 2016, 18:00
Thanks Trenloe.

I can see the Dungeon masters guide, monster manual and player handbook but the core class pack doesn't show in the library modules. Also in Steam under DLC I can see all items show as installed today. Lastly when I follow the instructions and put my username and password in settings I get a Login Failed error. I know I am using the correct details?

Thanks for any advice/input.

Trenloe
January 4th, 2016, 18:27
I can see the Dungeon masters guide, monster manual and player handbook but the core class pack doesn't show in the library modules.
The "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" from the store displays in Module Activation as "DD PHB Deluxe".

Also in Steam under DLC I can see all items show as installed today.
If you bought the product on Steam, make sure you have "Check Steam for DLC" enabled on the settings screen and that your Steam Client on the PC is running and logged in - FG needs to connect to your Steam client to know what Steam DLC you have.

Note: Steam DLC will only work with a PC, not a Mac.

Lastly when I follow the instructions and put my username and password in settings I get a Login Failed error. I know I am using the correct details?
Sorry to say this - but are you sure you're putting everything in correctly? I haven't heard of any technical issues that would report correct username/passwords as incorrect. Use the username and password you use to login to the FG website (i.e. db2000 for the username).

db2000
January 4th, 2016, 20:27
Ok, in that case I do have PHB deluxe. That's a little confusing as I assume that is also the players handbook?

The other issue was a school boy error .....I was using my steam login details as I thought that was the one lol.

That just leaves me figuring out Doug's video on character creation where he mentions you can drag the character class bag to auto fill in your character details?? I'll try and watch a video on this.

Thanks for all the help guys.

db2000
January 5th, 2016, 07:03
Yep definitely all starting to make sense now having watched another video last night. man the next few weeks are gonna be filled with youtube and popcorn lol. Thanks again folks ;0)

White_wolf
January 5th, 2016, 08:21
Just wanted to chime in here because I had a similar problem with some DLC I bought. I had to actually update the FG client before it recognized the DLC I bought from Steam.

db2000
January 5th, 2016, 10:25
Just wanted to chime in here because I had a similar problem with some DLC I bought. I had to actually update the FG client before it recognized the DLC I bought from Steam.

Hi White_Wolf, This was all resolved in fact the item was already there it's just that I saw it as players handbook and was looking for an item labelled core classes. No harm done but have a big learning curve to get through now over coming weeks.

All the best.