PDA

View Full Version : Player changed computers, can't connect.

Karter72
January 3rd, 2016, 20:03
I have searched high and low, and can't find an answer to our problems. First and foremost, I am the Host using v3.1.5 Ultimate. My players are using the free version to connect to my game, and have previously been able to connect with no problems. Then two things changed.

First Change: (Player 1) Player 1 decided to download FG on to an old computer so he didn't have to use his Wife's laptop. This old computer is still running Win XP (wtf? was my response). He is getting the following error:
Error loading data
Ruelset: PFRPG
Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)

Do you want to try reloading the data? Yes No

If he clicks Yes, he gets the same error. Click No, and he goes back to the beginning. I checked his 1802 Port and it doesn't work using www.canyouseeme.org, but that's only necessary for the Host to have, and not the Client as far as I understand it. He ran an update, and is running the same version of FG that I am, so that's not the problem either. That is problem number one.

Second Change: (Player 2) Player 2 also changed computers to use for FG, and we first had the same issue as above, but he just ran an update and he can connect. However, he does not have access to the Characters in the campaign. When I share a Map, he gets a script error. He can see the Combat Tracker though, so this vexes me. I am terribly vexed. (Gladiator reference) This player is running Windows 10.

Player 2 still has access to his old laptop, so he just decided to join the game by getting back on his laptop. However, his old laptop is now his daughter's and he would rather use his desktop for FG. Oddly enough, he is running v3.1.3 on his laptop and has no issues, unlike Player 3 who had to update from v3.1.3 to v3.1.5 to connect. Don't worry about Player 3, there are no problems there. For Players 1 and 2 I wish you troubleshooters the best of luck, because I really want to continue DM'ing my campaign. I have put a lot of work in to it. Thank you.

Galdrin
January 3rd, 2016, 20:26
Just a thought. I think XP had a different model for user privileges than later versions of Windows. Has player 1 tried to start the client as administrator?

Karter72
January 3rd, 2016, 23:09
Just a thought. I think XP had a different model for user privileges than later versions of Windows. Has player 1 tried to start the client as administrator?

Yes he has, and it did not work.

damned
January 4th, 2016, 00:00
Ok - Player 2 has used a different Username and thats why he cant see his Character. Right click the Charcater and Clear Owner .
Also on the Join Game Screen have Player 2 Clear Player Data Cache (Nuke)

Player 1 - on Splash Screen click Open Data Folder.
Go to rulesets and delete 3.5e.pak, CoreRPG.pak, PFRPG.pak
Close Explorer
Clear Player Data Cache
Click Check for Updates

Karter72
January 4th, 2016, 01:00
Ok - Player 2 has used a different Username and thats why he cant see his Character. Right click the Charcater and Clear Owner .
Also on the Join Game Screen have Player 2 Clear Player Data Cache (Nuke)

Player 1 - on Splash Screen click Open Data Folder.
Go to rulesets and delete 3.5e.pak, CoreRPG.pak, PFRPG.pak
Close Explorer
Clear Player Data Cache
Click Check for Updates

Player 2 when he Clear Player Data Cache (Nuke) the following happened:

Error during recursive delete
directory: C:/programdata/fantasy grounds//cache
error: (5) access is denied

He logged in as Administrator and got this error.

I have not been able to work with Player 1 yet.

Karter72
January 4th, 2016, 01:15
Update:

Player 2 just changed his name to a different name and it's working. So when changing computers you have to change your Username? That seems so odd.

Still working on Player 1, when his *** gets back home.

damned
January 4th, 2016, 01:36
I have seen that error C:/programdata/fantasy grounds//cache with the double slashes only twice before.
Did the user have any non standard characters in his username?
generally the first and last part of that error indicates insufficient permissions.

Karter72
January 18th, 2016, 16:40
I have seen that error C:/programdata/fantasy grounds//cache with the double slashes only twice before.
Did the user have any non standard characters in his username?
generally the first and last part of that error indicates insufficient permissions.

Because of family and work it took forever to actually start troubleshooting Player 1. We did what you suggested above, but he's a player with the free client downloaded and so doesn't have a Rulesets folder to delete things from. He did have a Cache folder and he deleted it, and then he clicked Updates. The same error occurred. He then changed his name, and the same error occurred. His name has no special characters in it as well. We are still at a total loss. Just as a refresher he is running FG on a very old machine using XP if that helps.

Moon Wizard
January 18th, 2016, 19:43
The access denied message means that the user running the program doesn't have rights to modify the FG data directory.

There should always be a rulesets folder containing a set of the standard provided game systems if the install completed successfully.

Try an uninstall. Then, make sure to delete the locations specified for the application and data directories in FG settings (write down or copy before uninstall). Then, reinstall and use the standard file locations.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 18th, 2016, 20:58
The default path on windows xp is: c:\documents and settings\<username>\Fantasy Grounds or c:\documents and settings\<username>\Fantasy Grounds II

Nylanfs
January 19th, 2016, 17:20
Try installing to c:\Games\Fantasy Grounds?

Trenloe
January 19th, 2016, 17:26
Try installing to c:\Games\Fantasy Grounds?
Thanks for the suggestion, but this goes against the general FG recommendation of installing to the default locations - given by Moon Wizard earlier in this thread and also the recommendation we try to give in other threads where there are installation issues.