PDA

View Full Version : FG crashes before boot

Lyiat
January 2nd, 2016, 04:07
Hello,

First time trying to host a game for my players on this program, picked up the Ultimate upgrade just for it. One of my players is having an issue loading the demo version of the program, though. When she tries to run the .exe, the program thinks for a couple of seconds and does nothing.

I looked at the prior thread related to this issue and no one found a solution. I'm hoping we can find a quick one this time.

I've gone and completely uninstalled the program twice now, from program files and programdata, as well as registerykeys. Here's the console.log from programdata.

[02.01.2016 03:52:07] Runtime Notice: Initializing DirectX
[02.01.2016 03:52:08] Runtime Notice: Initializing COM

No errors during the install, no errors pop up during running or updating. Just try to run the program and... nothing. Any ideas?

dulux-oz
January 2nd, 2016, 04:16
Hi Lyiat,

OK, what operating system (& version) is she running? Is she loading via steam? can she load the program at all under any circumstances?

Lyiat
January 2nd, 2016, 04:25
Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 10.0.10240 if you want to go that deep into it. User has tried both the stand alone and steam versions with no success, and can not get it to run regardless of how she tries to run it. She's tried running both the updator and the game in administrator mode, and has tried running it in several compatibility modes. I have access to the machine currently if anyone has suggestions.

damned
January 2nd, 2016, 05:21
Windows 10 has DirectX builtin so thats covered.
Can you try disabling any AV temporarily just to see if there is any conflicts?
Have you installed to the default locations?
Make sure there is nothing in the license key fields in setup if its a demo user.
Do you get any visual clues that the program is loading or how far it is loading?
With W10 Im sure you have enough hardware specs to run the app.

Lyiat
January 2nd, 2016, 05:55
User plays Skyrim so hardware specs shouldn't be an issue. User uses Tren Micro, which I've disabled to try to get this to run. Didn't work. Installation is in the default places.

The only visual cue I get is that the cursor spins for a few seconds before stopping. It thinks about it, then does nothing. Nothing in the license key field.

damned
January 2nd, 2016, 06:09
can you try disconnecting from the network and see if it progresses any further?

Lyiat
January 3rd, 2016, 01:29
Negative, made no difference.

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2016, 06:45
Try running FG as Administrator. Right-click on the startup icon and select "Run as Administrator" (it might be in the "more" menu).

Lyiat
January 3rd, 2016, 06:52
Don't want to sound rude, mate, but...

She's tried running both the updater and the game in administrator mode.

Already covered that, thanks.

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2016, 06:55
Oops, sorry I missed that.

Oberoten
January 3rd, 2016, 09:33
Aaaactually... DX10 might be the problem. Try installing the redist for DirectX9 since that is what if I don't missremember FG was originally written for.

Lyiat
January 3rd, 2016, 23:54
Done and no dice. It defies me so!

Lyiat
January 8th, 2016, 03:20
No further advice on this one, then?

ddavison
January 8th, 2016, 04:45
Okay, so this one is a head scratcher for sure.

Can you walk us through what happens exactly? I assume that the web install downloaded and ran fine as well as the first Update operation. Does it then crash when it completes and tries to return to the Launch screen or did the crash occur much earlier in the process or at all during install? If you just try to run the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe as an Administrator, does it also crash right away or does it display? If it displays, can you send us screenshots of the Settings screen there to [email protected]?