duanepruitt
January 1st, 2016, 03:01
I just dropped over $149 for a program. Now I have to pay
$30 for the monsters.
$30 for the player classes.
a program to make maps that's another $50

So $149+30+30+50 = 259
and about $20/adventure.

I really expected that the game would come with some of this already, maybe not every monster or all the classes; but at least the basics as I'm being charged a hefty price.

Now its going to be 3 weeks befor I can buy the basic stuff to even play, provided I can find a cheep map program and learn how to use it to.
Not a happy customer.

damned
January 1st, 2016, 03:31
Hey there Duane Pruitt and welcome.
The Fantasy Grounds client software is the client software. It doesnt include any licensed publisher content - except (as of about 2months ago) the D&D 5e Basic Rules which include 4 classes, 4 races, almost 200 monsters and spells and equipment lists. You can absolutely play D&D with this.
If you want to play other classes and races and fight other monsters then you need to buy content from those publishers.
The rule support and game mechanics for 5e, 4e, 3.5e, Numenera, Fate, Pathfinder are all included in/with the client and also SRD material for 3.5e and Pathfinder but not other licensed material.
This is all included in the product descriptions.

The ultimate license contains no additional DLC over the Standard/Full license. What it does is allow you to host games for others who do or do not have a license of their own.
If you feel you have the wrong license email support and they will work thru it with you.

JohnD
January 1st, 2016, 03:34
If you don't drink the 5e Kool Aid, there are other rulesets which will cost much less.

dulux-oz
January 1st, 2016, 03:36
Hi duanepruitt,

You don't have to buy the extra accessories, it is perfectly possible to enter the information in manually yourself. Of course, if you do purchase the extra modules then you'll be saving the time it'll take you add them in manually ie you'll be trading your dollars for someone else's labour.

FG doesn't claim to be a map-producing application, so I wouldn't expect it to be able to produce high-quality maps - if I was playing a pen-and-paper RPG (which FG is simulating) I'd have to draw my own maps (and create my own Monsters, adventures, etc - or buy them).

However, its obvious you're not happy - I can't speak for Smite Works (I'm not an employee) but I do know that Doug and Moon are very active in making sure their customers are happy - up to and including refunding their purchase - but you'd need to talk to them.

I think that most of your confusion is steming from your expectations about what FG is and is not - perhaps we can help if you'd care to elaborate on what you expect/think you should be doing, etc?

Cheers

ddavison
January 1st, 2016, 07:12
I would recommend grabbing one of the fully ready-to-run adventures first since those come with all the maps and monsters you need. Then you just need the races and classes you need immediately or you can type them in yourself. Check out the included D&D Basic Rules for an idea of how the abilities, spells, equipment, etc. should be entered. Since the included rules include all the basic equipment and Wizard and Cleric Spells, that should give you a lot of content to choose from. Similarly, an adventure will include all the Monsters you need to run it and you can see how the monsters should look if you decide to manually enter any. There are a few of these for only $15 or $20 if you catch it on sale.

The Ultimate license is just if you want to cover your players not having to buy any license or subscription. It's also available for just $10 a month to reduce the upfront cost.

As Dulux-Oz mentioned, though, we are happy to assist you via support if this isn't working for you.

duanepruitt
January 1st, 2016, 16:54
plopped down another $90. im up to $210.

I ran the test to see if it can connect, it fails.
This is not a problem with the software, this is a problem on the user end.
Any help would be welcome.

found more info.... firewall and ports... this is going to hurt.

Nylanfs
January 2nd, 2016, 04:18
Send a PM to Damned, he'll help you get it setup. :)

gaara6666
January 2nd, 2016, 07:52
awww good old port 1802

Diceman
January 2nd, 2016, 09:09
plopped down another $90. im up to $210.

I ran the test to see if it can connect, it fails.
This is not a problem with the software, this is a problem on the user end.
Any help would be welcome.

found more info.... firewall and ports... this is going to hurt.
You need to set up your port forwarding on your router to allow port 1802. be sure to also enter your correct ip address when setting up the port forwarding.

Also I am confused at your stated cost for the license as it is on sale on the website for $111.75 and has been since before Christmas as are most of the supplements. Either way as the developers have stated you only need the basic rules (which come with the license) and one adventure to get started. "The Lost Mines of Phandelver" is on sale for 14.99 right now. So if you bought the Ultimate license and the that adventure it would only cost you $126.74. Or if you start out with the monthly subscription to the ultimate license it would only cost you $ 24.98 up front.

People here are willing to help you but you don't do yourself any favors by complaining about the money you've spent. Most customers here has spent just as much money, and we all had to learn how to use FG to it's fullest potential. But most of us did our own homework. And when we ask questions we are lucky to have such dedicated developers and other more experienced users to help us.

I've only been using Fantasy Grounds since April and it took me some time to get up to speed. But I watched all the great tutorial videos that developers and other users have made and that went a long way towards learning to use FG. but most of it has come from good old trial and error.

Bottom line: I have enjoyed using Fantasy Grounds an have been directly responsible for three other users buying the license and starting games. I have been able to play with my old gaming group who are now scattered across the country. To me and my friends the purchases I've made have been worth every penny.

Stick with it.Watch the tutorials and read the wiki and the forums. Once you get up to speed you will be happy with the product.

Targas
January 2nd, 2016, 10:04
Hello duanepruitt,

I can understand your confusion about the Fantasy Grounds SW, as one might expect it to be an all and everything product, however it's not the scope and can't be.
There are good map making software products on their own, some of them expensive, too. Searching for map making software in the community results in the following thread:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?9243-Best-Mapping-Software&highlight=map+making

You can easily spend hundreds of dollars for good map making software as well and the learning curve is steep. However, once mastered one could produce maps like Mike Schley - if time permits as one cannot learn and do everything at high expertise level.

You could have bought the full license instead of the ultimate version as well, as the functionality is the same and the difference is just for players connecting with the free demo version to your host. You can even upgrade the full license to an ultimate version.

Licensed products for Fantasy Grounds are being provided from the license owners, and as such cannot be part of the FG software product.
In addition everyone would need a different set of modules, rulesets, tokens, supplement material, etc. as a matter of choice.

I think the community here is very friendly and helpful if you need more help and I hope you can enjoy this great FG software product as most of us do.

duanepruitt
January 3rd, 2016, 14:12
Thank yall. im getting it.
slowly. slowly I find my way in the dark. grasping at youtube and meddling with the mouse.

Ellspeth
January 3rd, 2016, 14:21
Also duane,check the main forum thread, maps, tokens, rulesets. The community here has shared a lot of player created maps, file extensions for different rulesets, rulesets for games not yet supported by smiteworks, tokens, a wealth of material and made available by players to other members f the community for free. That can help you save a bit, and get you up and running a bit quicker. That said, I still can't get past a Fantasy Grounds sale without damage to my bankcard. But I put the cost of this hobby up against, the cost of a movie once a week, or a major sporting event once a month, over time the costs are recouped in sheer pleasure.

duanepruitt
January 3rd, 2016, 14:31
I have found a CC3 free download. am hitting it with Viper at every stage. if it works. I will be happy. Tried gimp. not wnat I need. im not THAT skilled to freehand maps.
Looking for something simple. (old man voice) Im not as good at this as you whippersnappers.

dulux-oz
January 3rd, 2016, 14:57
I've been using CC3 for years, and CC2 before that - its got a steep learning curve, but I've yet to find a better program at making maps anywhere - stick with it, and you'll get there :)

Cheers

duanepruitt
January 3rd, 2016, 15:32
The dl failed. i got the file. scanned every step. but when i run it. when i attempt to do anything it crashes. *bummed* djin to detailed. im not in to putting 1 block at a time. I want to find a drag n drop kind.

seycyrus
January 3rd, 2016, 16:13
You want to try dungeon painter by pyromancer. It's a web based tool. You'll need to look at a video or two as well.

https://pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/

JohnD
January 3rd, 2016, 16:39
Do a Google search for "Dungeons and Dragons maps" - you can pull a vast library for free. Also there's the Cartographer's Guild forum where people share their work. Or, in a pinch, hand draw a map on a sheet of paper, scan it an manipulate in Paint.net - you don't have to produce professional level maps to run a game.

damned
January 3rd, 2016, 22:05
I have found a CC3 free download. am hitting it with Viper at every stage. if it works. I will be happy. Tried gimp. not wnat I need. im not THAT skilled to freehand maps.
Looking for something simple. (old man voice) Im not as good at this as you whippersnappers.

No use of pirated software allowed here...

Have a look at this link: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20879-Map-Making-Software-summary

Pyromancers is the easiest to get going and at no cost.
Tiled requires some art assets but is also very easy to use once you get past the initial low learning curve.