PDA

View Full Version : Creating a New Ruleset?

Draugr
December 31st, 2015, 10:38
Hi.

I'm thinking of picking up FG2 but wanted to ask a question first.

I know to create a completely new ruleset with automation requires xml and LUA coding, but what if I was looking to create my own custom ruleset that would simply be made as a set of rules or rule books. For example: I'd like to create a custom character sheet, perhaps a player's manual, or guide with the basic/common rules written within for the players. A set of monster cards or a monster manual that lists the stats and other pertinent info for each monster in the game system, and finally a bunch of tables and charts that the GM could pull up for quick reference, etc...

Can the above be done all within the FG2 program or would there still be coding required? I'm not looking to automate anything, or have any fancy actions, I would just like to simply convert the rules, and monster data, item and spell information into nice looking FG2 booklets or tables/charts, etc... Before I purchase FG2, I'd like to make sure I'd be able to create my custom rule set and at least be able to have all the major rules and information available.

Any info is appreciated.

John

PS: This question just came to me after I finished the above.

Are there members of the FG2 community that perhaps offer their services (for free or a fee) and will create a automated custom ruleset if the person hiring the coder supplies the required information? I'm only asking out of curiosities sake and don't actually have any custom ruleset developed and tested enough to warrant a complete FG2 conversion, but it would be neat to know if such options exist to those who might not have the coding expertise to make a personally developed ruleset into a complete FG2 automated rule system.

dulux-oz
December 31st, 2015, 11:22
Hi Draugr, and Welcome!

First of all, lets talk proper nomenclature: in Fantasy Grounds (and its just Fantasy Grounds or FG, we're actually on version 3.1.5 at the moment, so FG2 is a bit redundant :) ) a Ruleset is is the automatons, etc that allow us to play a given RPG. What you are talking about, I believe, is a set of what we call Modules. Modules contain the "data" that a Ruleset works on/with. We also have bits of code, etc, known as Extensions which are layered on top of Rulesets. This article here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Development_Overview) will help explain things.

So, to answer you question: yes, it is possible to create Modules within a given Ruleset to do what I believe you want to do. I suggest you use the CoreRPG as the basis for your set of Modules, as the CoreRPG forms the basis of just about all of the RPG we play with FG.

Also, if you haven't done so already then check out the great Tutorial Videos on the FG Wiki - damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well.

Finally, yes, there are people out there who will write a Ruleset for you - myself included. However, you need to be aware that, like with anything, you get what you pay for! I'm a professional ICT Consultant and so I charge professional coding rates - most people aren't willing to pay that. Also know that developing a fully fledged Ruleset will take upwards of hundreds of hours - and I'm not joking about that. My current client has accepted this (due to previously trying to do it with less experienced/professional/whatever people, and getting burnt in the process) and we've already spend over 100 hours doing a Ruleset for an existing RPG - and we've been able to use code from other Rulesets to cut down on the time. Another thing to realise is that for most people (coders included) this is a hobby and they'll much more likely to want to work on their own "stuff" before taking on someone else's baby which they may not have that much interest in.

But, having said all that yes, it is possible :)

One final note: if you're worried about cost you can always get a month subscription ($4 for a full license, that's all you'll need) and try things out before you buy.

So keep asking questions - we're a friendly lot here, and again, welcome to the Community

Cheers

Mask_of_winter
December 31st, 2015, 11:27
Making your own reference modules can be done in a few different ways in CoreRpg. You can use Story entries for text, personalities, maps, tables, etc. and then export that data. Create a story index and share it with the players if it's a Player Handbook. It has some limitations though. You could also use Par5e. The last option requires some xml editing and coding.

And yes there are many community developers for Smiteworks. Very few possesses the knowledge to build a ruleset. I know of one that will do it but it won't be free. I'm part of a small dev team and we're currently developing a ruleset too. So the skills are out there but it's a lot of work. We're talking hundreds of hours.

Trenloe
December 31st, 2015, 16:49
One final note: if you're worried about cost you can always get a month subscription ($4 for a full license, that's all you'll need) and try things out before you buy.
There's a free 30 day trial - give that a go and save $4! :)

leozelig
December 31st, 2015, 18:39
For the video tutorials, look for one on the CoreRPG character sheet. You can customize this without any coding. The NPC/monster sheets are also very general and work well enough if you don't need a lot of automation.

for the players guide and stuff like that, you want to learn about modules, which requires some very basic coding I think.

Trenloe
December 31st, 2015, 19:01
You can see examples of what people have done with character sheets in the CoreRPG ruleset here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23138-Share-Game-System-Character-Sheets These are all made within the base ruleset using the standard interface, no underlying coding.

damned
January 1st, 2016, 00:24
Im playing Dungeon World with CoreRPG and MoreCore and Ive copied the Class info and the Move info from the rulebook into some story entries which I share with the players.
And off adventuring we do go!

leozelig
January 1st, 2016, 21:15
Another trick for tables is to create an image of the table and share it with the players like you would a map or handout. It's a lot less work than creating a module...